News:

Join our chat! - https://discord.gg/6vUfQnG

Main Menu

Started by ., June 20, 2011, 10:29:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vinny

Just noticed this topic. I've been working out for little over a year with some consistency for the first time in my life. I'd always been an athlete (without being athletic) in high school and college. When I started my job (lots of traveling, drinking and eating out) I put on a ton of fat, somewhere in the realm of 20lbs. All fat. I'm not tall ("5'9" on a good day" my 6'4" dickhead little brother likes to say) and I was easily over 200lbs. Not a good look.

I got a gym membership and started studying nutrition and exercise. If you're lacking motivation, just reading about fitness can get you fired up to drop and give yourself 20. Plus the information you gain can be incredibly helpful (e.g. "you can't out-train a bad diet"). I've completely changed my diet and that has been the biggest help (along with the varied workout programs I've tried). Cutting down processed foods, fast-foods and processed carbs has probably had the biggest effect.

I'm down to 175lbs, and while I'm not exactly sure what my body fat percentage is, I know it's sub-10% because after a good workout I can see all six ab muscles.

And trust me, I'm no genetic freak or strict dieter. I consumed a whole pizza, 2 fudgicles, 2 burgers, half a bag of pretzels and about 35 pints of beer over the past weekend (granted, this was pretty severe misbehavior but it's okay every once in a while). The trick is to find stuff that you like.

For me, I'm taking Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu classes as part of my cardio and I doing all sorts of crazy lifts so that all that food I woof down goes towards muscle instead of fat. Weight lifting can be a ton of fun, too. I squatted 255lbs for the first time last week and deadlifted 315lbs.

The best motivation is being able to watch your body transform. If you guys want I can post some progress pictures (warning, they're photos of me without a shirt on so be fore-warned).

Peace,
- Vinny

WWR/EWTorch Best Writer/RPer Finalist 2009

Member of: Frontier Grappling Arts

Cory

p90x I did in my freshman year, and really if you dont follow the diet plan that comes along, it'll be much tougher to see the results.

SUBSCRIBE TO MY GAMING CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE

Vinny

Never tried P90X, but I've heard from a few people that have had success with it.

One tip I can offer is to use weight-lifting as a two-fold muscle-building and cardio exercise. Basically string together as many weight limiting exercises as you can for different body parts without taking a break between them (or taking a very short break). Basically you're lifting weights, but you'll be panting and sweating like you've been doing wind-sprints. Super-setting is an example of this. High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) is another work-out style to look into. Basically a way to get better results while spending less time in the gym.

Peace,
- Vinny

Flins.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of diet are you on Jack? You got a set meal plan, or are just eating as normal but taking note of calories and such?

Cory

Also, look into Insanity if you're finding P90x too easy. I couldnt do it my first time around, but it helps you once you plateau in the p90x program. I wont lie, its probably to most difficult program ive ever done, but you burn easily 700-900 calories a workout.

Vinny

This is partially to brag and partially to show how much progress you can make if you stick to it: I'd never deadlifted before a month ago. Today I deadlifted 400lbs. Twice.

Probably won't be walking for the next few days, but totally worth it.  ;D

Cory

You can download the diet plan over the web easily, as thats what I *MIGHT* have done to get the entire p90x program. If I was any good and uploading and shit like that I'd hook you up.

Jerry McClean

I'll start this soon....

...I hope >_>

Doug E Fresh

Despite it being Sunday, I'm going to workout heavily lol.

Vinny

Cory

2 weeks in, I started at 254.5 and a 13% body fat.

I'll admit my "routine" is still sloppy. I've missed one workout a week for the last 2 weeks and my calories count is averaging out at around 1000 per day, but the fat of the foods isn't too great.

But im down to 246, and a 12% body fat, and after the women takes me out tommorow to my favourite BBQ joint, I'm hitting four tough workouts in four days so that I can go out drinking on Saturday night.

I want to be 235-230 by the end of July, and at this rate It's looking pretty good, but as in the same boat as Jack, I'm just WAITING for this plateau.

Dorling

Cycled 10 miles before 9am today and have taken the new pup out for a brisk walk. The weight bench is set up to do some benching after lunch. Have been easing myself in and lost about 2lbs thus far, but hope to get into a more steady routine over the next few weeks.

Flins.

Not posted in this for a while, still keeping with the healthy eating and regular work outs. I'm just building up my fitness though at the moment, not really fit enough to endure sustained work outs, I'm not burning that many calories atm, like 400 or so per session which I do every couple of days.

Quadzilla

Last 4 weeks have been rubbish for me. Mega busy at work which meant I didn't goto the gym inbetween PT sessions, and now Laryngitis has stopped me going again.

Going tomorrow. Voice, no voice, phlegmy throat or clear throat.

Because the PT will beast me on Thursday otherwise.

Quote from: Russaholic Ewe-ing on February 07, 2012, 03:14:24 PM
By revealing to me that I can play MGS on the Xbox you received the award of BEING THE BEST HUMAN BEING FUCKING EVER.

Kurt

When I've fully recovered from my knee injury, I'll post updates with you Jack!

I finish physical therapy for a fractured knee this week. Both my legs have returned to pretty much full strength, and I'm at around 90% flexibility. Still got a bit of swelling in my knee which should be gone in the next week or two. But full intending to get back into shape afterwards!