News:

Join our chat! - https://discord.gg/6vUfQnG

Main Menu

There isn't a Skyrim Thread?

Started by jagilki, December 19, 2011, 08:34:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

! JDM The Professional !

So, first time playing any sort of Oblivion esk game, and I must say, this is much harder than Fallout NV (which I wasn't expecting). I'm playing on the hardest difficulty as I always do, was there any tips you guys can share? I was just doing my first quest and got ambushed by some guys and died! lol.

Any/all advice is welcome :D

How happy is the blameless vestal's lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot the eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! Each prayer accepted, and each wish resigned.

Quote from: Kise on February 29, 2012, 01:42:01 AM
Shake and bake, JDM! S-n-B!

!JDM'S Top Ten Movies of all Time!
1. Leon the Professional
2. American Beauty
3. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind
4. The Big Lebowskie
5. There will be blood
6. A Clockwork Orange
7. Once upon a time in the West
8. The Proposition
9. Reservoir Dogs
10. Taxi Driver

Jennifer

Quote from: Stonerman on June 16, 2013, 08:10:05 AM

The one thing I really preferred about Morrowind, and that I don't know why they stopped doing, is that you can't do all of the guilds with one character.  And in fact can't advance in the guilds unless certain stats are high enough to allow you to do so.  It just feels kinda odd to be the Grand Poobah  of the Mage's College in Winterhold when I don't have a single magic stat above 20.

Yeah, that is super weird to me. It makes me feel like I'm playing a character in a fanfiction

"OMG WELL MY OC IS ARCHMAGE, GRAND CHAMPION AND LISTENER OF THE DARKBROTHERHOOD"

Quote from: Mike Flips"Certainly officer...but first, we have two men here trespassing. Also I was assaulted moments ago by a man who might have had a sister I might have had sex with. Can we please arrest said man for Disturbing The Peace-opoly or something..."

Stoner

Quote from: ! JDM The Professional ! on June 18, 2013, 02:12:33 PM
So, first time playing any sort of Oblivion esk game, and I must say, this is much harder than Fallout NV (which I wasn't expecting). I'm playing on the hardest difficulty as I always do, was there any tips you guys can share? I was just doing my first quest and got ambushed by some guys and died! lol.

Any/all advice is welcome :D

The number one thing I can say is to decide what you want to do as far as combat goes, and min-max that as early as you can.  If the plan is to go mage, make sure to pic a race that emphasizes that, same for the others.  Its possible to be any kind of class as any kind of race, but if you're playing on hardest difficulty you'll want to specialize.

The big thing is that in Fallout you gain XP like any other game, killing everything you see.  In Elder Scrolls games, it doesn't work like that.  You get levels by using your skills.  So the more you use magic, your various magic stats will go up depending on what spells you use.

Since you're posting in this thread, I assume you're playing Skyrim.  When you first get out of the tutorial area where the dragon is burning the city, follow the dude that escapes with you to that first city.  He can tank for you in combat a little.  It might also benefit you to be in stealth mode a lot since its one of the most overpowered skills in Skyrim.

If you go the mage route, don't rely on your Destruction magic too terribly much.  Later in the game the Destruction Magic doesn't scale as well as the other combat skills.  You'll be able to do more damage with a well enchanted/refined weapon than you would with higher level Destruction magic.  Early in the game its fine, but later on you'll find yourself wishing you had invested in some of the other skills instead. 

If you find enchanted equipment, always pick it up.  It sells better than other equipment but more importantly you can disenchant it(usually).  Doing that allows you to add that enchantment to equipment in the future.  Grab all of the Soul Stones you find as well.  And enchant EVERYTHING before you sell it.  Only use the weak Soul Stones to enchant things you intend to sell, and save the better ones(Grand and Black Soul Stones) for the things you intend on actually using.

Even if you don't plan on doing the main storyline, do it at least up until you meet the Greybeards.  They teach you some good Shouts and its required to do one of the DLCs anyway.

Quote[Today at 05:31:25 PM] JackHondo: If a zombie outbreak ever happened, Stonie would cut his arm off and replace it with a chainsaw.

Quote from: Ian "Wolfie" Trumps on July 23, 2015, 03:24:59 PM

Judge

Kinda like how Fallout 4 wraps up the storylines but you can still play afterwards?