News:

Join our chat! - https://discord.gg/6vUfQnG

Main Menu

Started by ., October 16, 2012, 02:30:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Russ

We did when we moved a year back; they were really good, just came in, put everything in the truck, and unloaded it into the rooms we asked them to. For about £15 extra they even wired up the TV with the DVR etc. again and plugged in things like fridges and washing machines that are often difficult to get to under worksurfaces. All in all I'd go with a moving company if you can afford to, but also check various review websites etc. as obviously some will be better than others. Also check what insurance they have as if they do break stuff, the good ones will pay for it.
Boss of the Experts, Hero of the TFWF and SCW, all-round giant bag of awesomness.

Hondo

When we bought our house last spring, we went the U-Haul route of renting one of their larger trucks and hauling everything in one load. Of course, the new house was just 15 miles away, so the rental fees and fuel costs were less expensive than having to do two or three trips in three pickup trucks. We had plenty of help moving, I'd say close to 10 or 12 people not counting the misses and me. We had the truck loaded, driven to the new house and unloaded in a span of four hours. And even then, I was dead to the world for two or three days afterwards.

Long story short, moving is rough. Picking up heavy objects, putting away stuff, etc. etc., it's rough stuff no matter how much help you have. So if you want to save some wear and tear on the old back and knees, and if it's affordable enough, hire movers. Even if it costs a little more than renting a U-Haul and buying your friends beer and pizza, it'd be worth every penny to avoid the hassle.

"Just do the best you can with whatever gift God has given you, whatever intellect you have. Use it. Be good while you're doing it. Love your neighbor. Love the One that created you. Enjoy the cosmos. And rock on." - Phil Robertson of Duck Dynasty

Mark Mania

I haven't used a moving service personally, but I've heard very negative things from people. Normally they'll give you an estimate of the cost and then during moving day they hit you with a bunch more charges for "unexpected" problems.

I think you're better off renting a truck and doing it yourself.

Alex Smiley

Send me a PM. Depending on availability (my schedule's been kinda hectic) and where you're at/moving to, I can probably lend a hand and convince some friends to do the same. The friends I know wouldn't have to be paid in beer, but pizza might be nice lol.

Otherwise, I'd say go with the movers.

Quote from: JackHondo on October 24, 2012, 07:31:28 AM
You're right, Jesus is nicer. But Alex is a close second.

Russ

Quote from: Alex K on October 17, 2012, 04:17:48 PM
The friends I know wouldn't have to be paid in beer

Because they're imaginary?
Boss of the Experts, Hero of the TFWF and SCW, all-round giant bag of awesomness.

Jerry McClean

Quote from: Russ on October 16, 2012, 02:35:27 PM
We did when we moved a year back; they were really good, just came in, put everything in the truck, and unloaded it into the rooms we asked them to. For about £15 extra they even wired up the TV with the DVR etc. again and plugged in things like fridges and washing machines that are often difficult to get to under worksurfaces. All in all I'd go with a moving company if you can afford to, but also check various review websites etc. as obviously some will be better than others. Also check what insurance they have as if they do break stuff, the good ones will pay for it.

I agree with this.

But that might just mean that British movers>American movers >_>

Hondo

"Just do the best you can with whatever gift God has given you, whatever intellect you have. Use it. Be good while you're doing it. Love your neighbor. Love the One that created you. Enjoy the cosmos. And rock on." - Phil Robertson of Duck Dynasty

Mark Mania

Is there anyone fucking nicer than Alex K? Jesus.

Hondo

You're right, Jesus is nicer. But Alex is a close second.

Zombie Gunn

I work in self storage and have seen the good and bad size of moving companies.  Most are reputable, cost quite a bit and won't screw you over.  But some are "cheap" and can lead to problems.

A common scam is a low quoted price, then demanding more once things are on the truck.  They will try to hold your items ransom, saying that if you don't agree to pay them this additional money (in cash) they will hold your items as collateral.  If this happens... call the police.  That will almost always solve it, as what they're doing is illegal.

Also, have a flexible schedule.  If the movers are going to be there at 10am, plan on them showing up at 4pm.  Always have a back-up plan.  If you can make a reservation for renting your own truck as a last resort (without a deposit or penalty for cancelling) that's my best advice.  It's not uncommon for movers to say "I'm on my way, will be there in an hour" and simply not show up or arrive at the end of the day.

Depending on how far you're moving, it may be cheaper to throw out cheaper bulky items rather than pay 5x their value to move them.  But if you're staying local, that may not be an issue.