Beckett - Woody Harrelson
Qi'ra - Emilia Clarke
Lando Calrissian - Donald Glover
Dryden Vos - Paul Bettany

CRITICAL RECEPTION

7.2/10 - IMDb
71% - Rotten Tomatoes
62% - Metacritic

So what was everyone's general opinion of Solo? Personally I really liked the film, probably one of the most enjoyable films I've seen in recent times. Especially given the current state of the Star Wars franchise  :-\
I feel a lot of the criticism has been unwarranted and that coming off the back of a very lacklustre The Last Jedi this film definitely has been an improvement. The actors definitely put in a good shift, Ehrenreich and Harrelson are pretty much great in this... Emilia Clarke underperforms badly. Though thats mainly because her acting usually consists of being angry and shouty  ;)

I want to hear what everyone else thought of Solo, was it any good in your opinion?

Alex Smiley

I'm with you in that Solo was a fun film, overshadowed by the issues critics had with Last Jedi. I really enjoyed it myself, thought it was cool to see stuff like the first time Han and Chewie meet and explain early on their connection to each other. I also really liked the bit at the end, which without really revealing too much, let's just say reminds you when this movie takes place in the timeline...wow, didn't see that coming at all.

Good film, shame that the rumor is they're holding off on other spinoff films tho.

Quote from: JackHondo on October 24, 2012, 07:31:28 AM
You're right, Jesus is nicer. But Alex is a close second.

MrMaggot

Quote from: Alex Smiley on June 21, 2018, 01:06:48 PM
I'm with you in that Solo was a fun film, overshadowed by the issues critics had with Last Jedi. I really enjoyed it myself, thought it was cool to see stuff like the first time Han and Chewie meet and explain early on their connection to each other. I also really liked the bit at the end, which without really revealing too much, let's just say reminds you when this movie takes place in the timeline...wow, didn't see that coming at all.

Good film, shame that the rumor is they're holding off on other spinoff films tho.

Definitely a top film, but combined with the backlash on The Last Jedi AND the May Release, AND the fact Disney did not want to divert any attention away from Infinity War in terms of advert time.

One of my favourite parts of Solo is that is just works, they make no reference to the force throughout the film, it just doesn't 'exist', and in my opinion that is one of its strengths. The 9 films of the main trilogy are too hung up on the Jedi, The Sith, The Force etc. Solo has NONE of that in any capacity and still manages to execute the Star Wars feel. Something Solo did very well as well, better than Rogue One, is not to rely on nostalgia too much. At most we get a brief reference to the character Bossk, Jabba the Hutt and such.

One of the criticisms a guy I know from my fed makes is that it is too 'Paint by Numbers' in its storytelling. Tell me if I am wrong, but surely a paint by numbers approach at this stage is a good thing? Given you can't just subvert everyone's expectations all the time and expect them to be okay with it.

Dorling

I thought it was fun, and we needed a fun Star Wars movie. There's a lot of serious stuff happening in the new releases but this was a good couple of hours, with characters we know and love faithfully recreated by different actors. I enjoyed it a lot, and I'm glad they made a movie for fans to enjoy rather than overly critique. It's not Hamlet, and it was never supposed to be.