News:

Join our chat! - https://discord.gg/6vUfQnG

Main Menu

"Ready Player One"

Started by Marq, July 23, 2013, 12:52:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marq

Fans of 80's pop-culture, classic video games, MMO's, easter eggs, and anything you can be nerdy about is featured pretty heavily in this "Willy-Wonka-meets-The-Matrix" book.

Here's the synopsis:

The year is 2044 and the world is in near-ruins. The Great Recession has taken its toll on the world's economy, and resources are scarce. The Internet and gaming culture have evolved into a creation known as OASIS (Ontologically Anthropocentric Sensory Immersive Simulation), a massively multiplayer online simulation game created by James Halliday and Ogden Morrow of Gregarious Simulation Systems (GSS), formerly known as Gregarious Games. Halliday, with no heirs or other living family, dies suddenly and leaves a video will to those in OASIS and a book that was dubbed Anorak's Almanac, a journal written by Halliday himself containing all his thoughts.

The video says that whoever can collect three keys (Copper, Jade, and Crystal) that are hidden throughout the universe of OASIS and pass through the matching gates will receive his fortune and controlling stake in GSS. This becomes known as the Hunt and people immediately begin the search for Halliday's Easter Egg. Those searching for the Egg are referred to as "gunters," a portmanteau of "egg hunters." Gunters devote an enormous amount of time to studying 1980s pop culture, the decade Halliday grew up in and was perpetually obsessed with, in the hope it will assist them with locating and solving the puzzles involved with the egg.

The story follows Wade Watts, a nerdy gamer kid who becomes the first person to ever find a key and get the hunt rolling.

350+ pages, finished it all on a work day.
"Behind you, Primo! WATCH OUT!"

Black Death

"Asuka, gives you two thumbs up"

Flins.

It does sound interesting, I would definitely give it a read. Also, I'm incredibly jealous of the fact you can write a book in a day... at work.

Marq

Quote from: Flins. on July 27, 2013, 01:03:26 PM
It does sound interesting, I would definitely give it a read. Also, I'm incredibly jealous of the fact you can write a book in a day... at work.

I read at lunch, read on my two-hour commute home, and then finished a little bit into "Raw" that night (it was a Monday).

Trust me -- the pages just FLY by.
"Behind you, Primo! WATCH OUT!"

Tezmission Black

This sounds pretty interesting, and also found out that Warner Bros has bought the movie rights. I wanna read it based off the description, or I wanna get the audio book and have Wil Wheaton read it to me.

Tezmission Black

Hate to necropost, but I just got done reading the book, it was a truly amazing read and once I got into it, I was finished in just a day or so. Anyone who likes the 80's or even a damn good book should check it out.

Also thank you Marq for peaking my interest in it.

Black Death

sounds like I really need to get this book.

Black Death

Hate to necro post but just finished reading this book and I love it.

If you are child of the 80's like me or fan of it pop culture you would enjoy this book great read highly recommend it

Dorling

Another necro post, but I read this whole book today. Loved it, a great read. Appealed massively to the sci-fi and gamer geek within me. If they make a movie I'll definitely watch.

I'll also be reading armada too.

Tritch

Movie comes out next year I believe.

Best Town Player - 2008
2nd-Best Overall Player - 2008
2nd-Best Moderator - 2008
Best Third Party Player - 2010
2nd-Best Use of a Night Action - 2010
Best Game (Batman: Arkham City) - 2012
Best Moderator - 2012
2nd-Best Third Party - 2012
Best Game (Batman: Wayne Penitentiary) - 2013
Best Moderator - 2013
2nd-Best Town Player - 2014
2nd-Best Scum Player - 2015
2nd-Best Moderator - 2016
Best Game (The Conjunction: Episode 1) - 2016

Black Death

Quote from: Dorling on March 11, 2017, 08:44:47 PM
Another necro post, but I read this whole book today. Loved it, a great read. Appealed massively to the sci-fi and gamer geek within me. If they make a movie I'll definitely watch.

I'll also be reading armada too.

Glad you like it, it one of my favorite books, I re-read it every few months, just love it.  Armada is good also. I enjoy it also

Quote from: Tritch on March 13, 2017, 12:30:43 AM
Movie comes out next year I believe.

Directed bu Steven Spielberg and he knows He has a friend that was cast as extra in the movie.  I am hoping they have the Ultraman vs mecha Godzilla battle.  Give me that and I am all good  lol

Mark Mania

I listened to the audiobook of this. Wil Wheaton did a spectacular job narrating. I loved this book so much. Didn't love the movie as much.

Dorling

I enjoyed the movie but it's definitely more of an adaptation of an idea than a re-telling of the book. That's fine with me. I've also read Armada and I really enjoyed it - would also make a cool movie.

Mark Mania

I enjoyed Armada as well. Took a little bit more of a suspension of reality and was very Ender's Game-esque, but I enjoyed Ender's Game, so why wouldn't I like this!

It'll be interesting to see if they can make it into a movie, because it's also a little bit like that ridiculous Adam Sandler movie Pixels.

Tezmission Black

I was ok with how the movie turned out because the author wrote the screenplay for the movie, if it was good enough for him then who am I to complain about it?

Also, Armada was good, but some parts of it seemed like they went with the obvious path with it.