News:

Check out our Site Partners!

80s Mania WrestlingDaShawns2cents on FacebookThe Efed PodcastESPN Sports SimsEWCThe Indy CornerMFX PodcastOld School WrestlingSLTD WrestlingWhat A Maneuver!Wrestleview.comWrestling Mayhem Show

Main Menu

Official MFX "Must Watch" Movie List

Started by Mike Powers, August 06, 2013, 06:47:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Powers

As a sort of spinoff of the "movies you have never seen" thread, I thought I'd make this one.  The purpose is simple.  You get to pick ONE movie, that you think that every single EFKer needs to watch.  This will essentially compile the EFK "Must Watch" list.

Don't just name a movie and run off.  Give a little description.  Tell why you enjoy it, and why you think everyone else in the EFK-verse needs to see it.  I'll get it started.

"The Maltese Falcon is a Warner Bros. film noir based on the novel of the same name by Dashiell Hammett.  Directed by John Huston, the film stars Humphrey Bogart as private investigator Sam Spade and Mary Astor as his "femme fatale" client. Gladys George, Peter Lorre, and Sydney Greenstreet co-star, with Greenstreet appearing in his film debut. The Maltese Falcon was Huston's directorial debut and was nominated for three Academy Awards.

The story follows a San Francisco private detective and his dealings with three unscrupulous adventurers, all of whom are competing to obtain a jewel-encrusted falcon statuette.

The Maltese Falcon has been named as one of the greatest films of all time by Roger Ebert and Entertainment Weekly, and was cited by Panorama du Film Noir Américain as the first major film noir.

The film premiered on October 3, 1941 in New York City."

It was a toss up for me between this one and Bogart's other noir masterpiece, "The Big Sleep".  In the end, I went with Falcon because it was the first "old" movie I had ever seen, that had sucked me in so completely. 

I was probably around 10 years old, and the local Philadelphia PBS station ran classic movies on Saturday nights.  Most were song and dance type films, which I never really got into.  Others were screwball comedies, which I liked well enough.  The first time I remembered them showing a hardboiled, noir style film, was this one.  It immediately cemented Humphrey Bogart as my personal favorite actor of all time.  His performance as Sam Spade, was pitch perfect.  Peter Lorre (as Joel Cairo) stole every scene he was in with his interesting take on the role.

Anyone that enjoys tough guy, hardboiled fiction (Raymond Chandler, Dashiel Hammet and the like) NEEDS to see this movie.

OFFICIAL EFK MUST WATCH LIST:
1 - Mike Powers' Pick: "The Maltese Falcon" (1941)
2 - Dorling's Pick: "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang" (2005)
3 - Jose Ramon's Pick: "The Last Starfighter" (1984)
4 - Justin P's Pick: "The Shawshank Redemption" (1994)
5 - Crazy Kyd's Pick: "Before Sunrise" (1995)
6 - Franchise's Pick: "Alien" (1979)
7 - Pancho's Pick: "Se7en" (1995)
8 - Sabra's Pick: Labyrinth (1984?)
9 - Black Death's Pick: "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" (1988)
10 - Cory's Pick: "Pain and Gain" (2012)
11 - Stoner's Pick: "Tucker and Dale vs Evil" (2010)
12 - Tyty's Pick: "Arlington Road" (1999)
13 - Ian's Pick: "Paradise Lost Trilogy" (1996-2011)
14 - Kirk's Pick: "Ronin" (1998)
15 - ToneCold's Pick: Bad Taste (1987)

Dorling

I'm going to go for one out of left field. It's one of the most enjoyable films I've watched this year, and as a result have watched it a few times.

Robert Downey Jr is at his irreverent best in this movie as a thief who ends up being cast for a movie and working with gay PI Val Kilmer to learn in preparation for his part. He meets Michelle Monaghan, who he knew as a youngster, at a Hollywood party, and ends up getting involved in the search for her missing sister - much to Kilmer's dislike.

Things unwind at quite a pace, but never too fast. Downey's quick wit and lovable rogue character is impossible not to like. It's also my favourite Val Kilmer role of all time. The jokes come quick and fast and the dialogue is excellent.

I couldn't look away and every time I see it I hear a new joke or one liner which amuses me, such as Val Kilmer and his dislike of improper grammar or Downey's response to a particular injury (I won't spoil it).

The critics also liked it, picking out the performances of Kilmer and Downey and admiring the chemistry between them as well as the excellent dialogue.

In short, watch it. You will enjoy it.

Mike Powers

Make sure you add to this at the end of your posts....

3 -
4 -
5 -

Jose The Law Ramon

Alright, so this pick may be something you find cheesy and stupid, but I don't care.

It's got the great the Robert Preston, some pretty spectacular CGI stuff (especially when transferring over to Blu-Ray), and the story of the boy who dreamed of a better life eventually facing the reality of that dream in a way he never thought possible by saving the universe, getting the girl, and flying one of the greatest spaceships of all time. Also, the intro/main theme is probably one of the coolest damn movie themes ever. And hey, who didn't dream of acing a game only to find out you too could potentially be drafted into living it out? Seriously, watch it already. Cheesy, sure. But absolutely something that could hold up well even today.

4 -
5 -

Justin

Mike Powers

5 -
6 -
7 -
8 -
9 -
10 -

Crazy Kyd

I am going to add one of my personal favorites.

Before Sunrise

Before Sunrise is a film by Richard Linklater and the first of a trilogy. Starring Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy, Before Sunrise is film of pure romance. The story follows Jesse and Celine, who meet on a train and after some serious conversation, Jesse convinces Celine to walk around Vienna with him, since he doesn't have enough money to rent a room for the night. What follows is a strong romantic connection between the two as they go from place to place throughout the day and night. It is a film made up of long conversations but the film is full of beautiful cinematography and great acting.

The sequels are Before Sunset and Before Midnight. Before Sunset takes place 9 real years after Before Sunrise and Before Midnight takes place 9 real years after Before Sunset.

Mike Powers

Please remember to copy/paste this at the end of your post, adding your film.

6 -
7 -
8 -
9 -
10 -

[/quote]

GM Franchise

Quote from: Trumpers on July 25, 2012, 01:46:54 PM
James, everytime you post in the OOC your perception of "yourself" is just as apparently off key 'in game' as GM Franchise as it is 'out of game' as yourself lol.
Quote from: Mike Powers on May 22, 2012, 06:44:25 PM
Now I know how Franchise feels every game.  Speak your mind and you get singled out for it.
Quote[Nov 30 21:22:23] Trumpers:you have literally assembled one of the worst teams possible

Mike Powers

Quote from: Mike Powers on August 06, 2013, 06:47:06 PM
Don't just name a movie and run off.  Give a little description.  Tell why you enjoy it, and why you think everyone else in the EFK-verse needs to see it. 

Quote from: Mike Powers on August 06, 2013, 09:54:15 PM
Please remember to copy/paste this at the end of your post, adding your film.

7 -
8 -
9 -
10 -

Dorling

Come on Prancy and Justin, get in the spirit of it!

¿PapaPancho?

Seven (sometimes stylized as Se7en) is a 1995 American thriller film written by Andrew Kevin Walker, directed by David Fincher, and distributed by New Line Cinema. It stars Brad Pitt and Morgan Freeman, with Gwyneth Paltrow, and R. Lee Ermey in supporting roles.

The newly transferred David Mills (Pitt) and the soon-to-retire William Somerset (Freeman) are homicide detectives who become deeply involved in the case of a sadistic serial killer whose meticulously planned murders correspond to the seven deadly sins: gluttony, greed, sloth, wrath, pride, lust, and envy.

This is an excellent mesh of Thriller, Mystery, Drama, and Action.  The acting from both Freeman and Pitt is superb and the story draws you in as they frantically search for the killer. Even when you think you've figured it out you realize just how wrong you are.  Saying anything more would spoil it ... SO WATCH IT

7 - Pancho's Pick: "Se7en" (1995)
8 -
9 -
10 -

Justin

Just for Dorling....

The Shawshank Redemption is a 1994 American drama film written and directed by Frank Darabont and starring Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman.

Adapted from the Stephen King novella Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption, the film tells the story of Andy Dufresne, a banker who spends nearly two decades in Shawshank State Prison for the murder of his wife and her lover despite his claims of innocence. During his time at the prison, he befriends a fellow inmate, Ellis Boyd "Red" Redding, and finds himself protected by the guards after the warden begins using him in his money laundering operation.

Mike Powers

GM Franchise

Alien is a 1979 science fiction and horror movie directed by Ridley Scott and stars Tom Skerrit, Sigourney Weaver, Yaphet Kotto, John Hurt, Harry Dean Stanton, Ian Holm, and Veronica Cartwright.

The film is about the crew of the commercial towing ship Nostromo owned by the mega-corporation Weyland-Yutani. While the crew is in stasis they are woken up when the ship picks up a signal coming from a nearby planet. They then investigate the source of the signal and come into contact with an alien lifeform.
Quote from: Trumpers on July 25, 2012, 01:46:54 PM
James, everytime you post in the OOC your perception of "yourself" is just as apparently off key 'in game' as GM Franchise as it is 'out of game' as yourself lol.
Quote from: Mike Powers on May 22, 2012, 06:44:25 PM
Now I know how Franchise feels every game.  Speak your mind and you get singled out for it.
Quote[Nov 30 21:22:23] Trumpers:you have literally assembled one of the worst teams possible