News:

Check out our Site Partners!

80s Mania WrestlingDaShawns2cents on FacebookThe Efed PodcastESPN Sports SimsEWCThe Indy CornerMFX PodcastOld School WrestlingSLTD WrestlingWhat A Maneuver!Wrestleview.comWrestling Mayhem Show

Main Menu

Official MFX "Must Watch" Movie List

Started by Mike Powers, August 06, 2013, 06:47:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabra

Labyrinth is a 1986 British-American fantasy film directed by Jim Henson, produced by George Lucas and based upon conceptual designs by Brian Froud. The film stars David Bowie as Jareth and Jennifer Connelly as Sarah. The plot revolves around Sarah's quest to reach the center of an enormous otherworldly maze to rescue her infant brother Toby, who has been kidnapped by Jareth, the Goblin King. With the exception of Bowie and Connelly, most of the significant characters in the film are played by puppets produced by Jim Henson's Creature Shop.

Labyrinth started as a collaboration between Jim Henson and Brian Froud, with ideas for the film first being discussed between them following a screening of their previous collaboration, The Dark Crystal. Terry Jones from Monty Python wrote the first draft of the film's script early in 1984, drawing on Brian Froud's sketches for inspiration. Various other script-writers, including Laura Phillips (who had previously written several episodes of Fraggle Rock), George Lucas, Dennis Lee, and Elaine May, subsequently re-wrote and made additions to the screenplay, although Jones received the film's sole screen-writing credit. Labyrinth was shot on location in Upper Nyack, Piermont and Haverstraw in New York, and at Elstree Studios and West Wycombe Park in the United Kingdom.

This Means Something.

Thank you Meggie for the beautiful signature!

Black Death

Who Framed Roger Rabbit is a 1988 American fantasy comedy film directed by Robert Zemeckis. The film combines live action and animation. The screenplay by Jeffrey Price and Peter S. Seaman is based on Gary K. Wolf's novel Who Censored Roger Rabbit?, which depicts a world in which cartoon characters interact directly with human beings.

Who Framed Roger Rabbit stars Bob Hoskins as private detective Eddie Valiant, who investigates a murder involving the famous cartoon character, Roger Rabbit. The film co-stars Charles Fleischer as the eponymous character's voice; Christopher Lloyd as Judge Doom, the villain; Kathleen Turner as the voice of Jessica Rabbit, Roger's cartoon wife; and Joanna Cassidy as Delores, the detective's girlfriend.

Walt Disney Productions purchased the film rights to the story in 1981. Jeffrey Price and Peter S. Seaman wrote two drafts of the script before Disney brought in executive producer Steven Spielberg, with his Amblin Entertainment becoming the production company.

Robert Zemeckis was brought on to direct the film. Canadian animator Richard Williams was hired to supervise the animation sequences. Production was moved from Los Angeles to Elstree Studios in England to accommodate Williams and his group of animators. While filming, the production budget began to rapidly expand and the shooting schedule ran longer than expected.

Disney released the film through its Touchstone Pictures division on June 22, 1988 to financial success and positive reviews. Who Framed Roger Rabbit spurred a renewed interest in the Golden Age of American animation and spearheaded the modern era of American animation, especially the Disney Renaissance

Great film ... I love seeing all the cartoon characters in this and story is a great noir mystery. So many great moments in this movie ...it a must watch
"Asuka, gives you two thumbs up"

Cory

I'll go with a new movie...

Pain & Gain

Based on the true story of Daniel Lugo (Mark Wahlberg) a Miami bodybuilder who wants to live the American dream. He would like to have the money that other people have. So he enlists the help of fellow bodybuilder Adrian Doorbal (Anthony Mackie) and ex-convict, Christian bodybuilder Paul Doyle (Dwayne Johnson). Their kidnapping and extortion scheme goes terribly wrong since they have muscles for brains and they're left to haphazardly try to hold onto the elusive American dream

SUBSCRIBE TO MY GAMING CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE

Stoner

You're all expecting me to pick Army of Darkness aren't you?  You're all "That's an easy one, he's gonna go with his favorite movie of all time!"

Well, I'm not.

Instead, I'm going with what I feel is one of, if not the, most original movie I'd seen in a long time.  Everyone has seen horror movies where you watch the poor college aged kids get killed one at a time by the big bad villain.  And everyone has seen the parodies of those movies where they get killed off in increasingly funny ways by the big bad villain.  But only one movie I've seen has been from the perspective of the big bad villains, who weren't villains at all and were instead wondering why all these college kids were killing themselves all over their property.

I'm talking about Tucker and Dale vs Evil.

This is a great movie that deconstructs a lot of the horror movie genre in an incredibly refreshing way (as opposed to Scary Movie 7 or whatever number they are on).  Everyone should watch this movie.

OFFICIAL EFK MUST WATCH LIST:
1 - Mike Powers' Pick: "The Maltese Falcon" (1941)
2 - Dorling's Pick: "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang" (2005)
3 - Jose Ramon's Pick: "The Last Starfighter" (1984)
4 - Justin P's Pick: "The Shawshank Redemption" (1994)
5 - Crazy Kyd's Pick: "Before Sunrise" (1995)
6 - Franchise's Pick: "Alien" (1979)
7 - Pancho's Pick: "Se7en" (1995)
8 - Sabra's Pick: Labyrinth (1984?)
9 - Black Death's Pick: Who Framed Roger Rabbit
10 - Stoner's Pick: Tucker and Dale vs Evil (2010)

Quote[Today at 05:31:25 PM] JackHondo: If a zombie outbreak ever happened, Stonie would cut his arm off and replace it with a chainsaw.

Quote from: Ian "Wolfie" Trumps on July 23, 2015, 03:24:59 PM

Ty

Arlington Road

When it comes to suspense, this is the ideal  movie. Its not predictable, its not over-the-top, its a nice, simple movie that leaves you asking questions right to the end (1999)

Ian "Wolfie" Trumps

I am going for the documentary triology of Paradise Lost. Because once you watch the first you will never ever, ever not go without finding out the conclusion to a case which has divided opinion for 20 years...

'Check out MFX - www.mfxpodcast.com'

Mike Powers

9 - Black Death's Pick: "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" (1988)
10 - Cory's Pick: "Pain and Gain" (2012)
11 - Stoner's Pick: "Tucker and Dale vs Evil" (2010)
12 - Tyty's Pick: "Arlington Road" (1999)
13 - Ian's Pick: "Paradise Lost Trilogy" (1996-2011)

Kirk

I realise that this topic hasn't been updated for almost a year, but I thought I'd already contributed to it. Here's my choice:

Ronin.

It's got a fantastic cast (including De Niro, Jean Reno, Jonathan Pryce, Stellan SkarsgÄrd and Sean Bean) and an intricate plot that always keeps you guessing whist never seeming ridiculous. The action is tense and exciting and the film has, in my opinion, the best car chase ever filmed. It's the relationships between the characters and the chemistry between the actors that really make the film, though.

From Wikipedia: "Ronin is notable for a number of car chases, the last being a particularly lengthy one through the streets and tunnels of Paris; some scenes used up to 300 stunt drivers according to the DVD director commentary. Car work has been a specialty of Frankenheimer, a former amateur racing driver, ever since his 1966 film, Grand Prix. Although action sequences are often shot by a second unit director, Frankenheimer did all these himself, and sometimes rode along. While he was aware of the many innovations in digital special effects since then, he elected to film all these sequences live, to obtain the maximum level of authenticity. To further this, many of the high-speed shots have the actual actors in the cars. Skipp Sudduth did nearly all of his own driving, while other cars were right hand drive models with stunt drivers driving - crashes were handled by a stuntman. To lend additional authenticity, the sound recordist re-recorded many of the vehicles in the chases to ensure that during the editing, the right sounds were dubbed in for each vehicle."

14 - Kirk's Pick: "Ronin" (1998)
" class="bbc_img

" class="bbc_img

Mike Powers

Thanks for the pick Kirk!

Everyone else can feel free to leave their choice for the rest of us to enjoy!

Justin

Mike Powers

Thanks Justin, but you've selected your movie. I'll refresh memories about the concept of this list. ...

Quote from: Mike Powers on August 06, 2013, 06:47:06 PM
As a sort of spinoff of the "movies you have never seen" thread, I thought I'd make this one.  The purpose is simple.  You get to pick ONE movie, that you think that every single EFKer needs to watch.  This will essentially compile the EFK "Must Watch" list.

Don't just name a movie and run off.  Give a little description.  Tell why you enjoy it, and why you think everyone else in the EFK-verse needs to see it.

ToneCold

My choice for this is the early work of a director who went on to make well-produced slick looking movies about Elves and Dragons and shit... I am of course talking about Peter Jackson and my pick is his Directorial (and Acting, I think?) Debut horror comedy Bad Taste.

Aliens are abducting people from a small town in rural New Zealand for an intergalactic fast food franchise. The only guys with the balls to stop them are The Boys from the Astro Investigation and Defence Service, Barry, Derek, Frank and Ozzy.

This is one of those films that while VERY budget, is entertaining. The Special Effects are the kind of thing found in some of the better seasons of Red Dwarf, the humour is often crude and designed to gross out, but all in all it's a story about 4 guys sent to kick some alien arse with the aim of not being turned into food. One of those up there with Ghostbusters that I put on if I'm feeling really down and want something to laugh at.

15 - ToneCold's Pick: Bad Taste (1987)
That's the bottom line coz Tone Cold said so...

Rob.B

The Dirties, it's difficult to describe this without giving too much away so I'm just going to post the imdb summary. "
Two best friends are filming a comedy about getting revenge on the bullies at their high school. One of them isn't joking."

15 - ToneCold's Pick: Bad Taste (1987)
16 - Rob.B's Pick: "The Dirties" (2013)

Ian "Wolfie" Trumps

Rob B. I saw the Dirties a few months ago. I was left thinking it was incredibly well acted, but that I wasn't 100% sure how I felt about the ending. Suffice to say it was hard hitting and pulled no punches and I'd co-sign that you need to have a look like you did.
'Check out MFX - www.mfxpodcast.com'

Cory

Quote from: Ian "Wolfie" Trumps on August 15, 2013, 05:50:21 PM
I am going for the documentary triology of Paradise Lost. Because once you watch the first you will never ever, ever not go without finding out the conclusion to a case which has divided opinion for 20 years...

Ian, you catch the movie West of Memphis? Another take on it...I know you're the one the put me onto the Paradise Lost series which may be my favorite documentary....im only half way through West of Memphis but def. something you need to see.

It came out in 2013 I think, just stumbled on it now, kinda focuses more on finding the killer oppose to the 3 guys stories.

SUBSCRIBE TO MY GAMING CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE