Lucha Underground News/Rumors/Results

Started by Fnord, August 28, 2014, 12:07:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Strike

Sorta reviving this from the dead since Ultima Lucha is almost upon us.

So stoked for that, by the way.

Fnord

- With many questions surrounding Lucha Underground's second season swirling, Executive Producer Eric Van Wagenen took to Reddit and explained the obstacles the company is facing.

"Let's break it down into parts, if and when and where. There is very little doubt in my mind about the if. I'd say it's a 99.9% chance that a second season is happening. LU is a partnership and each of the partners are committed to making season two happen. The `to be continued' at the end of Ultima Lucha was not just us trolling you. It was more of a promise. The issues about money and production costs are indeed real, although vastly overstated. We didn't spend $20 million–not even close. El Rey is one of the best networks I've ever worked with, but what they have to spend doesn't quite cover the costs of a show like Lucha Underground. So our choices are to either raise the money from another source, or make the show cheaper.

"We are currently looking for a second broadcasting partner, either a streaming service or even an additional broadcast network. We are also aggressively going after foreign sales, sponsorships and integrated partners. Those deals take time to secure, and that is why there has been a delay in announcing an official pick-up. The when of this is what's up in the air. Of course we'd like to be back on the air in October, but realistically that date is likely to push. I'd put January of 2016 as the latest date of our return. The where is being debated and is part of option two. Los Angeles is expensive. As much as we all want to stay in Boyle Heights, we may need to investigate a different location for season two. There are other locations with tax incentives or where resources are cheaper. Of course, story-wise, we can make anything work. We all saw Dario leave the temple and where he ends up is anyone's guess."

As we've mentioned before, Lucha Underground talents still haven't been given a date for filming of season 2, but have been told they can accept bookings through the end of the 2015 year.

Quote[Today at 12:56:15 PM] Duckman: Fnording=the act of not realising something very obvious 
Quote from: AlexK on July 25, 2010, 12:23:31 AMI love you, Fnord.

Fnord

Wrestling Observer's Dave Meltzer had looked over a copy of Lucha Underground's contracts. Meltzer said in this week's Wrestling Observer Newsletter that Lucha Underground has options after every season, and the company can terminate a deal after each one. Also, the company's no-compete clauses extend until six months after the talent last appears on TV.

Quote[Today at 12:56:15 PM] Duckman: Fnording=the act of not realising something very obvious 

Rob

I thought no compete clauses were deemed inhumane after a bunch of stuff with WWE?
SixersEagles

[/center]

¿PapaPancho?

Jonny Mudo talked about this on the podcast with Stone Cold ... those cut scenes that are movie quality are the most expensive and that's probably where most of the money needs to be raised/cut.

Gravedigger

Quote from: Rob on August 13, 2015, 06:50:21 PM
I thought no compete clauses were deemed inhumane after a bunch of stuff with WWE?

Isn't Lesnar the only one to challenge them in court?

Rob

I thought Punk disputed it as well and the reason they're now all called independent contractors is because competing is something they need to do n order to provide for family.
SixersEagles

[/center]

Duckman

They've been called independent contractors for decades.  It's a way to avoid paying tax and benefits/pensions as they'd have to if they were classed as employees.  Also means they can't be recognised in a union.  It used to be fine back in the territory days because it was true - guys could leave and go to another territory to work.  These days, with there really being only one place to work in the US, it's really out dated and untrue.

Similarly, the contracts WWE have means they can't take work elsewhere or do anything without WWE permission - which is the exact opposite of the definition of an independent contractor.

Total scam.

Punk, Lesnar and Del Rio all challenged the no compete clauses and won.  Punk didn't sue them and I didn't think Del Rio did either.  I thought both were settled without the need for litigation.  In fact I'm sure neither of them went to Court due to the bad publicity issues WWE would have, they settled them both before it went to Court.  Especially the Del Rio one because no way in hell WWE would go to Court against a guy who was fired because he slapped a guy for making a racist comment to him - a guy who WWE still employed at the time and took no action against.  I believe he's since left the company.

Brock sued them because we he left WWE, his no compete was for any sport for 10 years.  This was because WWE let him out of his contract.  He argued it was an unfair contract term and won - which allowed him to go to the NFL, UFC etc.  I think he actually breached it by going to NJPW and then won the Court case after WWE sued him.  It's why in NJPW he changed the name of the F5 to The Verdict!  Classic.

Most of these contract terms in wrestling are all BS until they're decided upon by a Court of law.
Check out the MFX Podcast today!  http://www.marksforxcellence.com/?cat=1

Subscribe to MFX via Stitcher or Itunes.  Just search: Marks for Xcellence Podcast.

Rob

I mean sure if you sign a contract that's legally binding but I just can't see how people can prohibit you fairly from providing for your family, especially when a company like Lucha Underground aren't going to be paying mega bucks in the first place.
SixersEagles

[/center]

Fnord

Lucha Underground announced on Twitter that they will return for a second season in 2016 some time on the El Rey Network. The following was issued to us tonight:

EL REY NETWORK, MARK BURNETT AND UNITED ARTISTS MEDIA GROUP GREENLIGHT SECOND SEASON OF 'LUCHA UNDERGROUND'

Professional Wrestling Series Goes Back Into Production In Fourth Quarter 2015

Austin, TX– September 21, 2015 – El Rey Network and Emmy Award®-winning producer Mark Burnett and United Artists Media Group today announced that the Lucha Libre wrestling series "Lucha Underground" will return for a second season. The action packed, character-driven series will go back into production in the Boyle Heights neighborhood of Los Angeles in the fourth quarter of 2015 and will premiere on El Rey Network in early 2016.

"We brought together some of the best athletes from lucha libre and wrestling to fight in Los Angeles this year on 'Lucha Underground'. It was fresh, it was compelling and it got the attention and created buzz across the entire wrestling world," said Executive Producer Mark Burnett.

El Rey Network Chairman and Founder Robert Rodriguez, said: "The explosive combination of athleticism and storytelling makes for such great television and I'm so pleased that this legendary wrestling tradition will continue to have a home on El Rey Network."

Ancient tradition, extraordinary athleticism, and a flare for theatrics combine in El Rey Network's wrestling series, "Lucha Underground". The riveting original introduces American audiences to the high-flying aerial maneuvers, slingshot moves, dramatic masks, intricate, rapid-fire combinations and distinctive wrestling techniques of lucha libre, one of Mexico's most popular sports. Fans will have a ringside seat as masked villains and heroes face off to battle for wrestling supremacy. It provides enthusiastic viewers with an incredibly visceral and explosive experience with a focus on the artistry, originality, intense action and over-the-top characters that has come to define this phenomenal fan-favorite. A celebration of lucha libre's long-standing Mesoamerican heritage and culture dating back to 1863, this is programming that must be seen to be believed.

"Lucha Underground" is produced by United Artists Media Group in association with FactoryMade Ventures and AG Studios for El Rey Network. Executive producers are Mark Burnett, Eric Van Wagenen (also showrunner) and Brian Edwards of United Artists Media Group; Dorian Roldán from Lucha Libre AAA; Alejandro Garcia and Antonio Cué Sánchez-Navarro from AG Studios; El Rey Network co-founder Robert Rodriguez; and FactoryMade Ventures and El Rey Network co-founders John Fogelman and Cristina Patwa. The series will be distributed internationally by United Artists Media Group.

Alex Smiley

You hear that? It's the sound of everyone in FWL getting ready to pick up LU mainstays again.

Quote from: JackHondo on October 24, 2012, 07:31:28 AM
You're right, Jesus is nicer. But Alex is a close second.

Kieran King

Alex Smiley

I guess it depends HOW early next year. Our season ends a month or so before WM, so there's a slim chance lol

Quote from: JackHondo on October 24, 2012, 07:31:28 AM
You're right, Jesus is nicer. But Alex is a close second.

Fnord

- Former WWE NXT Superstar Solomon Crowe and Tessa Blanchard, daughter of WWE Legend Tully Blanchard, were among those that worked dark matches at this weekend's Lucha Underground tapings. We should have full spoilers from the tapings soon.