News:

Join our chat! - https://discord.gg/6vUfQnG

Main Menu

Anything Anime Thread

Started by Duckman, February 26, 2015, 02:20:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duckman

The Tezzmission arrives on MFX Blogs! Check out his introduction to his new series, Anything Anime.

Check it out here: http://www.marksforxcellence.com/?p=694

Feel free to leave comments here until we get the comments up and running on the site.
Check out the MFX Podcast today!  http://www.marksforxcellence.com/?cat=1

Subscribe to MFX via Stitcher or Itunes.  Just search: Marks for Xcellence Podcast.

Stoner

Your beginnings of watching anime is scarily close to my own.  I remember watching Dragon Ball on Saturday mornings on CBS.  My sister and I used to watch Sailor Moon as well.  I haven't seen DNA2 yet though so am looking foward to the review to see if its worth watching or not.

Quote[Today at 05:31:25 PM] JackHondo: If a zombie outbreak ever happened, Stonie would cut his arm off and replace it with a chainsaw.

Quote from: Ian "Wolfie" Trumps on July 23, 2015, 03:24:59 PM

Sgt. Josh Underpants

Pokemon and yugioh were the only really animes I watched growing up ( I think those count).  Can't wait to see your thoughts on the two you're planning I might have to check them out myself
Shank â€" Action Josh Madrid does towards anyone making a racial slur towards latinos on the SB, his main target is usually Midas.
You Are Game Will Evolve
Quote from: Judge Reinhold on September 16, 2009, 07:30:31 AM
This dude is the most cracker looking beaner you\'ll ever meet.

Chris Stern

Wow all of you are making me feel really old since my first exposure to Anime was watching this UHF station out of NYC channel WPIX 11 if I recall or was it that other one that used to run a local Jersy show called Steam pipe Alley  WWOR-TV,  or maybe it was both or was it the Syracuse CBS affiliate channel 5? Ah it doesn't matter what station it was, but every Sunday morning I used to be able to catch Speed Racer, Gigantor, G-force along with Fozzy and the Happy days gang and Terrahawks followed by Kaiju movies as well as either a old 60's-70's Kung Fu film or a "Classic" Horror film from the 30's to the 50's in the mid to late afternoon(Kaiju at 10-10:30 and Kung fu or a old horror movie at 1pm)  and during in the week after school Channel 11 would air Voltron. So my exposure to Anime was with much older fare, so yeah I feel old. 

Stoner

Quote from: Chris Stern on February 27, 2015, 04:20:27 PMChannel 11 would air Voltron.

I used to watch Voltron all the time when I was in day care, about 4 or 5 years old.  Was one of my favorite shows and was the main reason I became a fan of Power Rangers when it came out.

Quote[Today at 05:31:25 PM] JackHondo: If a zombie outbreak ever happened, Stonie would cut his arm off and replace it with a chainsaw.

Tezmission Black

I never really watched Voltron, I did watch a bit of Speed Racer, but at the time I didn't know it was anime.

Chris Stern

Quote from: Stoner on February 27, 2015, 09:11:06 PM
I used to watch Voltron all the time when I was in day care, about 4 or 5 years old.  Was one of my favorite shows and was the main reason I became a fan of Power Rangers when it came out.
that's actually kinda funny since I was around 5(so we are talking 1984/85) when Voltron would air and because of Voltron I actually didn't like Power Rangers at first because I thought it was a rip off of Voltron.

Also remember Voltron Vehicle Force? It ran for a short and I do mean short period up here in my neck of NY, most of my friends never even seen the Vehicle Force episodes, I think it lasted three episodes before it was replaced on WPIX.

Voltron: Vehicle Force - Intro [HQ] 

Quote from: Tezmission Black on February 27, 2015, 09:12:51 PM
I never really watched Voltron, I did watch a bit of Speed Racer, but at the time I didn't know it was anime.

Neither did I, same for G-force/Battle of the Planets, Lupan the 3rd and Gigantor.  Didn't learn what Anime was till 8th Grade.

Tezmission Black

See growing up I was Power Rangers fan and maybe it was because I seen Power Rangers first that I thought Voltron was a rip off, I dunno, but it's strange like that sometimes.

Chris Stern

Quote from: Tezmission Black on February 27, 2015, 09:25:23 PM
See growing up I was Power Rangers fan and maybe it was because I seen Power Rangers first that I thought Voltron was a rip off, I dunno, but it's strange like that sometimes.

So true and it happens to people, especially in the geek end of the spectrum more then you know. may do a blog on that sometime..

Stoner

Well at 4/5 for me it was about 1991. So when Power Rangers came out in 93 I never thought about things like ripping off of source materials or whatever.  I just knew it had giant robots fighting giant monsters, and that was my SHIT.

Chris Stern

Quote from: Stoner on February 27, 2015, 09:52:10 PM
Well at 4/5 for me it was about 1991. So when Power Rangers came out in 93 I never thought about things like ripping off of source materials or whatever.  I just knew it had giant robots fighting giant monsters, and that was my SHIT.

Mine too but growing up for me it was watching Voltron, Ultraman, Johnny Sokko and his flying robot, I did start warming up to power rangers around the middle of season 1, though now having seen the original Super Sentai Zyuranger(got it on DVD a week ago) I'm hooked on that series, sure it's basically Japanese power rangers(since it's what Power Rangers used for footage) well from Zyuranger on(the previous Super Sentai series were more like Ultraman and the like) but the stories and plots were diffrent enough, I mean they battle a Frankenstien-Satan Hybrid.
Kyouryuu Sentai Zyuranger - Satan Will Rise!

Stoner

That was actually pretty awesome.

Chris Stern

Quote from: Stoner on March 01, 2015, 09:06:15 PM
That was actually pretty awesome.

Of course it was. I usually know my stuff. Hopefully Shout Factory will release the rest of the Super Sentai series on DVD stateside like they did for Zyuranger a few weeks ago.

-note to self-
Got to remember that my style of humor doesn't translate well in text

Tezmission Black

It's been awhile and I'm sorry about that, I should have my new blog done this weekend, I just started a new job and it has been kicking my ass so I've kinda just been zoning out when I get home.

I'm going to take Saturday to watch Record of Lodoss War and I am gonna do a twofer with that and DNA2

Chris Stern

Quote from: Tezmission Black on March 20, 2015, 08:44:10 PM
It's been awhile and I'm sorry about that, I should have my new blog done this weekend, I just started a new job and it has been kicking my ass so I've kinda just been zoning out when I get home.

I'm going to take Saturday to watch Record of Lodoss War and I am gonna do a twofer with that and DNA2
Oh man Lodos war, I used to love that OVA, you are talking about the OVA from 1990 and not the 1998 series right?.  Never got a chance to finish it though since the only way I could see it was on Sci-fi's anime block and they only ever aired episodes 1-3 and none of the local stores ever had the full OVA.