News:

Join our chat! - https://discord.gg/6vUfQnG

Main Menu

Nightwish

Started by Stoner, May 17, 2015, 09:56:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stoner

So this is a band I've been a fan of since about '09.  Its a metal band from Finland, but its not the normal "heavy death metal" most people think of.  Its not that at all.  It has a more grand symphony sound to it.

Anyway, they had a new album come out late this past March.  I just found out about it, and love it.  The new singer sounds a LOT like their original singer, more than the chick they had right before this anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPonioDYnoY

If you like Evanessence, you'll love this.  If you don't like Evanessence, and I can't say I blame you, give it a try anyway.  Its one of my top five bands for sure.

Quote[Today at 05:31:25 PM] JackHondo: If a zombie outbreak ever happened, Stonie would cut his arm off and replace it with a chainsaw.

Quote from: Ian "Wolfie" Trumps on July 23, 2015, 03:24:59 PM

BamBamBunglow

Wait, Annette is gone?! new singer?! *runs to check*

FLOOR JANSEN FROM FOREVER AFTER?! Damnit why am I in work?! :(

If you like Nightwish dude, I'd also recommend Epica and Xandria (Try & find Ravenheart - amazing song).

Also, if you just like the style of music Nightwish blasts - go for my personal favourite Kamelot. On youtube there's their live DVD "One cold winter's night" and it's possibly the best music dvd I've ever, or will ever, see :)

Goldferg

Quote from: BamBamBunglow on May 18, 2015, 04:12:06 AM
Wait, Annette is gone?! new singer?! *runs to check*

She's been gone for like a year apparently. I only found out when I was at last year's Bloodstock and the booklet entry for ReVamp mentioned that Floor was the new Nightwish singer

QuoteIf you like Nightwish dude, I'd also recommend Epica and Xandria (Try & find Ravenheart - amazing song).

Would also recommend some Xandria. The stuff with their current singer (Diane van Giersbergen) is especially Tarja-era Nightwish-like

Am also gonna name drop Leaves' Eyes & Stream of Passion, 'cuz that's how I roll.
Quote from: The Bong Guy Stoner Hall on February 06, 2010, 01:11:21 PM
I hammered The Pink Ranger...  I never thought I would be so sad to say that.....
Quote from: Ian "Wolfie" Trumps on May 12, 2015, 11:15:06 AM
Becoming a super beast with a tendency for high octane flying shits...its a lifestyle choice.

BamBamBunglow

QuoteShe's been gone for like a year apparently. I only found out when I was at last year's Bloodstock and the booklet entry for ReVamp mentioned that Floor was the new Nightwish singer

I just heard Elan... not too sold, currently. Going to have a whack at the full album tonight and see what I think, but I'm personally not liking the meshing between her & the band.

Still... mind = blown that I missed that one!

Stoner

I really got into Edema Ruh, but that's partially because I'm already a fan of the books that the song is based from(Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss) so I went into the song pretty hyped.

I've heard a bit of Xandria and Epica.

I'm actually kinda relieved that Annette is gone.  She was a good vocalist, don't get me wrong.  But I felt that a number of her songs had a more "pop" feel than the "epic metal" that got me into the band to begin with.  Floor seems to be a bit closer to the original sound which I totally dig.

Endless Forms Most Beautiful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUb1p8fm7Ag

Edema Ruh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xu9_Y72yenQ

Quote from: Goldferg on May 18, 2015, 07:32:47 AM
I only found out when I was at last year's Bloodstock and the booklet entry for ReVamp mentioned that Floor was the new Nightwish singer

Ugh.  I am the MOST jealous right now.  Nightwish is the band I want to see live more than any other, but they don't come around my area too often unfortunately.  I wish they would though.  I just looked up their touring schedule and it turns out they were in Houston two weeks ago...

I hate my life.  lol

Quote[Today at 05:31:25 PM] JackHondo: If a zombie outbreak ever happened, Stonie would cut his arm off and replace it with a chainsaw.

Goldferg

Quote from: Stoner on May 18, 2015, 10:25:58 AM
Ugh.  I am the MOST jealous right now.  Nightwish is the band I want to see live more than any other, but they don't come around my area too often unfortunately.  I wish they would though.  I just looked up their touring schedule and it turns out they were in Houston two weeks ago...

Think you misinterpreted what I wrote. One of Floor's other bands (ReVamp) was playing.

[spoiler=These Guys]ReVamp - Here's My Hell[/spoiler]

And I ended up missing them, because it pissed it down and we ended up cutting our losses and going home as half our tents got flooded. (We missed Amon Amarth & Megadeth :( )

On a related note

[spoiler=The Diane version of Xandria]Xandria - Nightfall
[/spoiler]

If you want to be jel, I *have* seen this version live. I even have one of the drumsticks from the gig, only time I've ever caught something a band's projectiled into the crowd

[spoiler=Leaves Eyes]Leaves Eyes - Twilight Sun
[/spoiler]

Haven't seen these guys live yet - but they're down my way in November and I plan on catching them then

[spoiler=Stream of Passion]Stream of Passion - In The End

Stream of Passion - Street Spirit (Radiohead Cover)
[/spoiler]

Have seen these guys twice, once at the above mentioned Xandria gig (where I first heard about them) and a second time a couple of weeks ago supporting The Gentle Storm.

Shit be spoilered to avoid massive loading.
Quote from: The Bong Guy Stoner Hall on February 06, 2010, 01:11:21 PM
I hammered The Pink Ranger...  I never thought I would be so sad to say that.....
Quote from: Ian "Wolfie" Trumps on May 12, 2015, 11:15:06 AM
Becoming a super beast with a tendency for high octane flying shits...its a lifestyle choice.

Stoner

Ah.  So you're in the same boat as me with Nightwish then.  I am most definitely still jealous of you getting to see Xandria.  I stumbled on them a few months ago while clicking random videos on youtube and really dug them.  Nightfall was actually the first song I heard by them, so I guess its obvious why I clicked with them right away.