News:

Join our chat! - https://discord.gg/6vUfQnG

Main Menu

6 Nations Rugby

Started by BamBamBunglow, January 14, 2016, 06:10:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BamBamBunglow

More for the UK guys among us, but I recommend other countries keep up and watch, because Rugby is a great ol' game :)

FIXTURES

Saturday 6th February 2016
- France v Italy at Stade de France, Paris 2:25pm (GMT)
- Scotland v England at BT Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh 4:50pm

Sunday 7th February 2016
- Ireland v Wales at Aviva Stadium, Dublin 3:00pm

Saturday 13th February 2016
- France v Ireland at Stade de France, Paris 2:25pm (GMT)
- Wales v Scotland at Principality Stadium, Cardiff 4:50pm

Sunday 14th February 2016
- Italy v England at Stadio Olimpico, Rome 2:00pm (GMT)

Friday 26th February 2016
- Wales v France at Principality Stadium, Cardiff 8:05pm

Saturday 27th February 2016
- Italy v Scotland at Stadio Olimpico, Rome 2:25pm (GMT)
- England v Ireland at Twickenham Stadium, London 4:50pm

Saturday 12th March 2016
- Ireland v Italy at Aviva Stadium, Dublin 1:30pm
- England v Wales at Twickenham Stadium, London 4:00pm

Sunday 13th March 2016
- Scotland v France at BT Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh 3:00pm

Saturday 19th March 2016
- Wales v Italy at Principality Stadium, Cardiff 2:30pm
- Ireland v Scotland at Aviva Stadium, Dublin 5:00pm
- France v England at Stade de France, Paris 8:00pm (GMT)

BamBamBunglow

England traning squad announcement;

Forwards
Josh Beaumont, Dan Cole, Luke Cowan-Dickie, Jack Clifford, Jamie George, Dylan Hartley, James Haskell, Paul Hill, Maro Itoje, George Kruis, Matt Kvesic *injury replacement for Dave Ewers*, Joe Launchbury, Courtney Lawes, Joe Marler, Matt Mullan, Chris Robshaw, Henry Thomas *injury replacement for Kieran Brookes* Billy Vunipola, Mako Vunipola

Backs
Chris Ashton, Mike Brown, Danny Care, Elliot Daly, Ollie Devoto *Injury replacement for Manu Tuilagi(Leicester Tigers*, Owen Farrell, George Ford, Alex Goode, Sam Hill *injury replacement for Henry Slade*,Jonathan Joseph, Jack Nowell, Anthony Watson, Marland Yarde, Ben Youngs

Color me interested. Some of the bigger names missing, some people brought back in from exile. Seven uncapped players, no less. That's a pretty decent lineup, am looking forward to seeing who goes to the first 15 and how the new guys mesh.

Duckman

Love me some Rugby Bammer, nice to see this thread here.

Lots to look forward to in the 6 nations this year.  England with their new coach and new look squad, Scotland hoping for more success after a solid World Cup, what version of France will turn up (same question every year right enough), will Wales be able to play a tournament without 300 players getting injured (I hope so, love the way the Welsh play) and will Ireland continue to have success without O'Connell as captain.  Plus, who will Italy beat this year?  Please not Scotland again!!

Seriously, I went to my 1st international Rugby game when I was 10 at the 1991 World Cup - Scotland v Japan at Murrayfield - and I've loved the game ever since then.  6 Nations is my favourite sporting tournament of the year and I can't wait for this years.

What's the big stories for you this time round Bammer?  How do you see things going?
Check out the MFX Podcast today!  http://www.marksforxcellence.com/?cat=1

Subscribe to MFX via Stitcher or Itunes.  Just search: Marks for Xcellence Podcast.

BamBamBunglow

It is officially ALL up in the air this year mate... with the exception of Italy.

England have a new coach who seems determined to have "in your face" players instead of Whiter than White. The fact he's brought back in Manu Tuilagi and Dylan Hartley speaks volumes. I'm expecting a much more brutal, confrontational England. I don't know if that's a good or a bad thing - England's stength has always been formulaic; Strong scrums, Kick for the corners, great lineout %'s - they didn't used to run the ball until they were in almost in the opponents 22. I get the feeling we're gona see something similar to Wales/Ireland - smash mouth up the field, then rely on the footwork of guys like Joseph to get them tries. I don't know if it'll work for them, Wales & Ireland have ironclad defences.

Ireland are in trouble. They've got a laundry list of injuries, are missing their marquee players. They relied on the old guard too long, they didn't mix the old with the new until it was too late. I think they're going to have a rough time this tournament.

Scotland are due for a boom. They showed alot of guts and skill in the world Cup, fair play to them. They need to improve overall fitness, work on their scrum and tighten their defence up. Scottish players wear their heart on their sleeves too much - they don't keep a level head, and that leaks tries.

Wales... fuck me we've had a rough time of it. Most of our players are back from injury, but we're still missing Halfpenny (good thing in my opinion - more on this in a bit), Scott Williams and Rhys Webb. Luckily we have ALOT of good 9's coming up, and Gareth Anscombe is fit... hopefully Liam WIlliams will be back in time too. As to Leiigh Halfpenny - he's not needed anymore. He's a defensive fullback, probably the best we have, but Dan Biggar kicks just as well as Halfpenny, has a better dance (HEYYYYY BIGGARENA!) and Liam Williams is a better attacking threat. Jon Davies is back, Hallam Amos, Cory Allen... honestly, Wales are my pick to win it. But, I'm biased.

France... fuck knows. No one ever knows. They showed a bit of verve in the World Cup, but it all depends on what team turns up.

Italy... Bless 'em, they're getting better and better, but without Parisse they go to pieces. They need to keep plugging away at it and trust their younger players (whoever played fullback for them last year, that boy was golden).

I'm predicting;

Wales
Ireland
England
Scotland
Italy
France

Games I'm looking forward to;

Scotland Vs. England - at Murrayfield, new England squad (still without a good 7) Vs. quite established Scottish squad - I'm predicting an upset here. I would LOVE to see Scotland get one over England and they have a good chance here.

France Vs. Italy - Again, I predict an upset here, and italy/france is ALWAYS a good game.

All of Wales games - I'm welsh, I have to!!!!

How 'bout you Duckers, what's your feeling on theupcoming 6 weeks of awesome?

BamBamBunglow

WALES SQUAD ANNOUNCED

Forwards: Rob Evans (Scarlets), Paul James (Ospreys), Gethin Jenkins (Cardiff Blues), Tomas Francis (Exeter Chiefs), Aaron Jarvis (Ospreys), Samson Lee (Scarlets), Scott Baldwin (Ospreys), Kristian Dacey (Cardiff Blues), Ken Owens (Scarlets), Jake Ball (Scarlets), Luke Charteris (Racing 92), Bradley Davies (Wasps), Dominic Day (Bath Rugby), Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys), Josh Turnbull (Cardiff Blues), Taulupe Faletau (Newport Gwent Dragons), James King (Ospreys), Dan Lydiate (Ospreys), Ross Moriarty (Gloucester Rugby), Justin Tipuric (Ospreys), Sam Warburton (Cardiff Blues, captain).

Backs: Aled Davies (Scarlets), Gareth Davies (Scarlets), Lloyd Williams (Cardiff Blues) Dan Biggar (Ospreys), Rhys Priestland (Bath Rugby), Cory Allen (Cardiff Blues), Jonathan Davies (Clermont Auvergne), Tyler Morgan (Newport Gwent Dragons), Jamie Roberts (Harlequins), Hallam Amos (Newport Gwent Dragons), Alex Cuthbert (Cardiff Blues), Tom James (Cardiff Blues), George North (Northampton Saints), Gareth Anscombe (Cardiff Blues), Matthew Morgan (Bristol Rugby), Liam Williams (Scarlets).

More of the same - A lot of familiar faces, one uncapped (Aled Davies). Excited to see Matthew Morgan in there, I hope he gets some game time, he'll unleash the Wingers and bring a bit of pizazz.

Elsewhere.... Ugh, Rhys Priestland.

Overall, I'm happy with that squad, a lot of familiarity isn't a bad thing - the more you play with other guys, the better you get.

BamBamBunglow

SCOTLAND SQUAD

FORWARDS

Hooker: Ross Ford (Edinburgh Rugby), Pat MacArthur (Glasgow Warriors, Stuart McInally (Edinburgh Rugby). Prop: Al Dickinson (Edinburgh Rugby), Zander Fagerson (Glasgow Warriors), Moray Low (Exeter Chiefs), Willem Nel (Edinburgh Rugby), Gordon Reid (Glasgow Warriors), Rory Sutherland (Edinburgh Rugby). Lock: Jonny Gray (Glasgow Warriors), Richie Gray (Castres), Tim Swinson (Glasgow Warriors), Ben Toolis (Edinburgh Rugby). Back-row: Adam Ashe (Glasgow Warriors), John Barclay (Scarlets), Blair Cowan (London Irish), David Denton (Bath), Chris Fusaro (Glasgow Warriors), John Hardie (Edinburgh Rugby), Josh Strauss (Glasgow Warriors).

BACKS

Scrum-half: Sam Hidalgo-Clyne (Edinburgh Rugby), Greig Laidlaw CAPTAIN (Gloucester). Fly-half: Finn Russell (Glasgow Warriors), Duncan Weir (Glasgow Warriors). Centre: Mark Bennett (Glasgow Warriors), Alex Dunbar (Glasgow Warriors), Peter Horne (Glasgow Warriors), Matt Scott (Edinburgh Rugby), Duncan Taylor (Saracens). Wing: Sean Lamont (Glasgow Warriors), Sean Maitland (London Irish), Tommy Seymour (Glasgow Warriors), Tim Visser (Harlequins). Full-back: Stuart Hogg (Glasgow Warriors), Ruaridh Jackson (Wasps).

I'm quite excited about that squas, if I'm honest. I think Mr. Cotter's got a good eye for talent, and the first pick squad have a REAL chance of getting some wins. Some of the guys are less than ideal choices for second string sides (IE Italy game), but I think 2-3 wins isn't outside the realms of possibilities. Again, familiarity will help Scotland here - Laidlaw/Russell are a good combo, Hogg and ANY of the four wingers can do some damage. I will say, Scotland have probably some of the strongest Wing options in the world - Lamont, Maitland, Seymour and Visser could ALL walk into any Lions squad.

BamBamBunglow

WELSH TEAM ANNOUNCEMENT

Wales team to face Ireland: Gareth Anscombe; George North, Jonathan Davies, Jamie Roberts, Tom James; Dan Biggar, Gareth Davies; Rob Evans, Scott Baldwin, Samson Lee, Luke Charteris, Alun Wyn Jones, Sam Warburton (capt), Justin Tipuric, Taulupe Faletau.

Replacements: Ken Owens, Gethin Jenkins, Tomas Francis, Bradley Davies, Dan Lydiate, Lloyd Williams, Rhys Priestland, Alex Cuthbert.

Fuck me, that's an attacking side. North is a bastard once he gets going and Anscombe/Tipuric are masters at getting their wingers involved.

Tipuric/Warburton is a jackaling duo made in heaven, and Faletau in there to provide Oomph is tasty.

Tom James has me ecxcited, he's played superb for Cardiff, to the point that after 6 years he's finally booked himself a starting place. EXCITEMENT IS BUILDING

Duckman

Scotland XV to face England: Stuart Hogg, Sean Maitland, Mark Bennett, Matt Scott, Tommy Seymour, Finn Russell, Greig Laidlaw (capt), Al Dickinson, Ross Ford, WP Nel, Richie Gray, Jonny Gray, John Barclay, John Hardie, Dave Denton.

Pretty solid line-up for Scotland in the opening game against England on Saturday.

I like the back line with Hogg and Maitland providing the pace and Bennett and Scott in the centres working their power game.  Also good to see John Barclay back!

I can't wait for this game to start and the tournament to get going!

'Mon THE SCOTS!!!!

Subscribe to MFX via Stitcher or Itunes.  Just search: Marks for Xcellence Podcast.

BamBamBunglow

ENGLAND SQUAD VS. SCOTLAND

England: Mike Brown; Anthony Watson, Jonathan Joseph, Owen Farrell, Jack Nowell; George Ford, Danny Care; Joe Marler, Dylan Hartley (capt), Dan Cole, Joe Launchbury, George Kruis, Chris Robshaw, James Haskell, Billy Vunipola,

Reps: Jamie George, Mako Vunipola, Paul Hill, Courtney Lawes, Jack Clifford, Ben Youngs, Alex Goode, Ollie Devoto.

Well.... I'm not sure who's gonna win. Scottish team looks the best it has in years. England have two class kicking options, with Farrell at 12... but he's not the greatest defensively. Haskell comes in at 7, to be honest he couldn't do worse than Robshaw, but again not and out & out 7.

Honestly, I reckon Scotland are gonna pip 'em. It's gonna be a 2 point game either way, but I think it's gonna be in Scotlands favour.

Duckman

Well, we've had the first 2 rounds of games and the tournament is now on a 2 week break.

My initial thoughts:

France are lucky to have any points on the board, they were terrible against Ireland for huge stretches of that game.  I still don't know how Ireland didn't win that game.

Ireland aren't clicking at the moment.  They look good for small sections of the game, but just can't put a full game performance together.  Missing their injured big names for sure.

Italy looked good against France but the power and pace of England's play really blew them away in the 2nd half.  Think it could be a tough tournament for them this year.

England didn't set the world on fire against Scotland (more on them in a second) they went back to their old ways with lots of slow ball, big forwards moving the ball inches and lots of kicking.  They were much better in 2nd half against Italy, hitting the breakdown and moving the ball quickly.  I thought Danny Care was excellent when he came on and they scored some nice tries.

Wales played brilliantly against Scotland.  Jamie Roberts is an absolute wrecking machine.  They deserved their win in what was the best game of the tournament so far. 

Scotland were garbage against England.  Right back to playing the same old 6 Nations style which has been so unsuccessful for years.  Against Wales they were massively improved.  Great under the high ball (both in attack and defence), they got their set piece sorted out and looked dangerous with Seymour and Taylor.  Plus Laidlaw was great leading again and Russell looks to be improving with each game.  But we're still 0-2 and all the good performances in the world don't mean jack if we can't win a game!!  Really hope we get that win against Italy because on the basis of the Welsh game, we do have the skills and power to get a win.

That's my take, this weekend was better than last and I'm really looking forward to England v Wales now.

BamBamBunglow

BamBam's thoughts!

England - OK, I think I can see what Eddie Jones is doing. He wants them to be the "bad boys" of Europe, have a bit of edge and swagger about them and really push the limits of the law, like New zealand do. the problem is, they don't have the experience or, sadly, the dearth of talent that NZ has. This is why they've given away over 30 penalties in 2 matches. Against Wales and even France, that'll be their undoing unless they tidy it up. Their defence against Italy was very untidy and the final score board flattered them massively.

Ireland - this is going to be a rough, rough tournament for them. They have some talented players, but they have always focused too much on the "now" than the "future". I think that's pretty evident from the fact that half their starting lineup was over 30 - they haven't nurtured many of the young standout talents from the regions to take the place of greats like BOD, O'Connell and even Sexton. They NEED to start blooding their new players and giving them the experience and they need to start now in preparastion for the 2019 world Cup. They're very much like a 2009 Wales atm. Their tournament now depends on their attitude against England - if they capitulate, they're done. But if they get angry and turn up fightin', they might still place well.

Scotland - ye Gods they gave me a few bum clenching moments. They picked up their game massively against Wales and proved they can do the job. they got very unlucky not to win that, if I'm honest. They could do with more conditioning, because they were flagging in the last 20. Still, there's bright spots here - I give them wins over France, Italy and maybe even ireland if they can continue playing like that.

Wales - They have sucked so far, which is a sad thing for me to say. They're trying to transition to their "wider approach" but are struggling and look confused. Against Ireland they couldn't break through the Irish defence. No creativity in the backs. Liam williams is a fucking glory hog and needs to be replaced (I'm possibly the only Welshman to say that, ever) - Halfpenny had better bloody hurry up and get back. It was good to see George North get his mojo back, that man is fucking terrifying when he hits top speed. If we carry on playing the rest of the tournament like we did in the final 30 against Scotland, we might well win the whole thing. What needs to happen is stopping the experiment of Warburton/Tipuric. breakdown clearouts are so quick now they they can't scavenge or even slow down as well - they need a rock hrd bastard who's hard to move like Lydiate, with Tipuric on the bench as an impact player.

France - Well.... they're France. I took some heart at the way they played against Ireland, alot of free running rugby, alot of offloads, alot of weird and wonderful moves. They're making progress towards becoming a formidable team again, they just need some more time under a coach who isn't fucking batshit crazy. they also need Yoann Huget back, because thast boy was lethal. I'm actually tipping them to beat England, maybe even Wales - but as always, it depends on what France team turns up.

Italy... bless 'em. They're going the right way. they've actually got more than 1 good player now. They finally have a fly half who can kick! Their problem is physical conditioning, they are SO knackered for the last 20 that they let the other team take over. They either need to pace themselves earlier on, or start some serious conditioning training (High altitude, cryo, whatever). there's some good signs emerging, they CAN play rugby, but they need to start playing serious catchup on the strength and conditioning.

all in all, I've quite enjoyed the last 2 weeks, best match so far Scotland Vs. Wales. Can't wait for the next weekend - Wales Vs. France, Scotland Vs. Italy, England Vs. ireland. Gonna be a belter :)