News:

Join our chat! - https://discord.gg/6vUfQnG

Main Menu

2016 NFL Off-Season Thread

Started by Cory, February 11, 2016, 04:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gravedigger

He was mostly dealt because of Maxwell's awful contract. Not sure what Miami is thinking there....

And I'm not blasting Eagles fans here. I've read comments in various places where it seems like fans are happy Kiko is gone, but it could be tied into the elation of dumping Maxwell.

Jon

Quote from: Gravedigger on March 10, 2016, 11:55:10 AM
It was one season..... Kid's only been in the league two years and you'll give up on him? I get it in terms of dumping Maxwell, but he also played all/most of the season when he got hurt so his injury was late.

And by your guarantee theory there's no saying that anyone will ever play again because they can all get hurt at any time so it's kind of a weak way of looking at it...

He was out all of 2014 and played only 11 games for us this past season because he was hurt in Week 1 against the Falcons. When he returned from that injury, he was largely ineffective. I'm really not going to miss him as I think we have better LB's who are also on better contracts. I'm sure he'll do alright for the Fins.

GM of the Queen City Conquerors

Cory

Kiko Alonso had to go because he's what tipped the Dolphins to eat Byron Maxwell's contract, and I firmly believe that. But his contract was under $1m.....our punter had a bigger salary.

My thoughts:

- I hate the amount of turnover we've had these past few seasons, as football is a big team chemistry game and the turnover we've had in second to none. Not saying the guys we got rid of had much developed chemistry but when you see perennial winners do nothing on opening day and if they do its extending their own players (See Green Bay, New England) I'd be nice to have that for once.

- Moving on from DeMarco was solid overall. We moved up to 2nd in the 4th round from 13th and dumped all of his guaranteed money. I'm surprised anyone wanted an aging running back on the down for THAT much money, considering running backs outside of the AP, Gurley and Bell's are a dime a dozen. Look at KC, lose their superstar in Charles yet again, still churn out a top rushing attack with Charchandrick West. I thought we'd gain a 4th or add a pick from this move, but I can't complain getting something in what was a cap dump on a player who didn't want to be here. I love his quote of "I feel like I had a year off last year"....well you played like you did as well dickhead. A B+ Move.

- As far as swapping #13, Maxwell and Kiko for #8 that's one hell of a move overall. Maxwell got exposed last season to being an average starter in the NFL. I doubt he'll be able to develop much more and for a corner to have hit his developmental ceiling and still get paid top 10 corner money, I think Gace is nuts for wanting him....he's more expensive and not an upgrade over Brent Grimes who they let walk. I think Kiko on the other hand, still on his rookie deal I'd rather him in Philly. I think he came back too quickly from injury and Philly's DC last season was the worst in the league and it was criminal to think he was employed for as long as he was. I think Kiko's upside is what made this deal go through, and good risk for the Phins to take on. Swapping from #13 to #8 is massive for the Eagles. We've gone from looking at second teir prospects like Jack Conklin (OT) and Mackenzie Alexander (CB) to staring top prospects like Vernon Hargreaves (CB) and Ronnie Stanley (OT). An A grade move.

My question to Jon and I've had discussions on my YouTube videos all week, those that want Ezekiel Elliot over guys like Hargreaves and Stanley, why do you want this move? I'm generally interested in the logic.

Compare him to the last legit top 10 RB, Todd Gurley. Gurley was the better prospect coming out of college and I dont see a single area that Elliot is stronger than Gurley, and he looks and plays like Carlos Hyde who isn't a top 10 talent....Elliot also had that well documented outburst when he didn't get enough carries last season. He's not as fast no explosive for being the similar size. We have Mathews and Sproles as our tandem which isn't elite, but it isn't a top priority. You'd rather having a day 1 backfield of Elliot/Mathews/Sproles and either having no one developing (Stanley) behind Jason Peters who has one year left at best? Or having our corner-back situation look like Rowe/McKelvin/Shepard oppose Rowe/Hargreaves/Nickel? For the record I'm all in on addressing corner with #8 as we still need a starter outside.

- Taking the Fletcher Cox extension out of everything, Howie killed free agency. Brandon Brooks was my 2nd ranked guard behind Keleche Osemele and an immediate need. Rodney McLeod was my 2nd ranked safety behind George Iloka, and Nigel Bradham was who I wanted to replace Kiko's LB spot (alt. Tahir Whitehead). I'd like to have seen them try and resign Nolan Carroll who looked better than Maxwell last season, but I trust whatever Jim Schwartz wants done on D and that he's getting solid guys from Buffalo. I'm not a fan of the Chase Daniel deal, but I'd rather him than Sanchez as the backup, and Daniel was the most coveted backup in FA. An excerpt from reddit:

QuoteOkay first, 2016 cap hits:
Ron Brooks - $1,050,000
Brandon Brooks = $3.2M
Rodney McLeod - $2.6M
Chase Daniel - $5M
So that's a total cap hit of $10,850,000.
We had about $17.5M in space before the trades, which got us $9.8M back, for a total of $27.3M. Subtract the FA deal, and we're left with close to our original starting point before the trades of about $16.5M.
Again, this excludes the $3.5M we gain by cutting Sanchez, which we will unless we can trade him which still saves $3.5M, and this also excludes Bradham and McKelvin's 2016 cap hits because I don't know them yet.And don't bust my balls about the exact numbers, lots of these are rounded. It's just meant to give an idea of our cap space.
edit: Spotrac has everything factored that I have except McCleod($2.6M) and it has us $17.1M, which would mean after him we have $14.5M

I'd like to seem them add a WR or another Guard, but so far this (minus how much we paid Daniel) has been a flawless Free Agency for Howie.....now the tough part of not shitting the bed in the draft, which is my biggest worry, is next.....

SUBSCRIBE TO MY GAMING CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE

¿PapaPancho?

Corey's fandom for his Eagles moves are as outdated as his profile pic.

At least when my Chargers let go of a former Pro Bowler in Weddle I don't try to cover it up.  That sucks and it's going to hurt us whether he is up in age or not.  DeMarcus off year had NOTHING to do with the system he was in and the coach he was with right?

Cory

Quote from: ¿PapaPancho? on March 10, 2016, 05:15:08 PM
Corey's fandom for his Eagles moves are as outdated as his profile pic.

At least when my Chargers let go of a former Pro Bowler in Weddle I don't try to cover it up.  That sucks and it's going to hurt us whether he is up in age or not.  DeMarcus off year had NOTHING to do with the system he was in and the coach he was with right?

It did, but great players still make plays and give 100% effort. Murray often would trip over his own feet, and well...

(I was at this game...a must win against a beatable Dolphins squad. That's a 180lb corner going to make the tackle)

T-Bonizzle

Temper your expectations, because every off-season is 'almost flawless' by your estimation, and then to the rest of us you look foolish when the games begin....

Gravedigger

Quote from: Jon on March 10, 2016, 03:31:42 PM
He was out all of 2014 and played only 11 games for us this past season because he was hurt in Week 1 against the Falcons. When he returned from that injury, he was largely ineffective. I'm really not going to miss him as I think we have better LB's who are also on better contracts. I'm sure he'll do alright for the Fins.

Ok, my bad... I didn't realize he sat out 2014. I thought that was his rookie year. Makes more sense to me now...

Mike Powers

I hate that we lost Sean Smith, and I doubly hate it that it was to the Raiders.

Gates

I think Miami wanted to move on from Grimes/Grimes' wife, and figured replacing him with Maxwell was decent enough. At least, I assume as much if what I've read is true (that Grimes' wife is what holding teams from jumping at him currently).

I also read that DeMarco restructured his deal with the Titans. That I'm not 100% on I just read that he reworked his numbers so that could just means figures were moved around or something.

All in all, the Eagles need to find some stability. Yeah, the moves were good but it's like Cory said, all the turnover isn't necessarily a good thing all the time. Hopefully they find something and stick with it.

Gravedigger

Quote from: Mike Powers on March 10, 2016, 07:09:45 PM
I hate that we lost Sean Smith, and I doubly hate it that it was to the Raiders.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

The Silver and Black is back, baby!!!!!!!!

Captain Metro

I don't know how anyone can say their team won the off-season when New England cut JoJo Lefell ...

Haters gonna hate. Just win baby!

Quote"I'm like Disneyland - overpriced as shit but everyone leaves happy!"

Gravedigger

Why? Just because LaFell is a terrible route runner with bad hands?

T-Bonizzle

So...the Jets are picking him up yes? No wait....the Browns are interested!

Cory

Really surprised Colin Sack or Pick is getting all the teams in QB needs attention.....Fitzpatrick had 33 Touchdowns last season. Denver would be smart to go after him short term and draft Paxton Lynch at 31.

Gravedigger

Jon Football is officially cut.... What took so long?