News:

Check out our Site Partners!

80s Mania WrestlingDaShawns2cents on FacebookThe Efed PodcastESPN Sports SimsEWCThe Indy CornerMFX PodcastOld School WrestlingSLTD WrestlingWhat A Maneuver!Wrestleview.comWrestling Mayhem Show

Main Menu

Tuesday Night SMACKDOWN Updates/Discussion/Spoilers

Started by Cory, July 17, 2016, 11:23:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gravedigger

I have  feeling that Joe and Nakamura could be on SD after SS weekend...

Cory

I could certainly see that, Smackdown needs it. Assuming Samoa Joe and Nakamura get called up....

NXT on the other hand is about get get an influx of guys from the CWC I'd assume.

Austin Aries, Hideo Itami, Bobby Roode and Andrade Cien Almas would still have the drawing power, plus more time for Rich Swann, Kota Ibushi, Tye Dillinger, and you'd assume Zach Sabre Jr and TJ Perkins.

SUBSCRIBE TO MY GAMING CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE

Rob

Having now finished Smackdown I really enjoyed it. They do lack star power at the moment though that will hopefully change. In hoping they looked at that battle royal and thought there weren't enough names to make it interesting.

That being said I enjoyed the fact it felt like a different show to Raw completely. Different camera angles, different kind of commentary, different emphasis throughout the show on what was important.

I hope Joe, Aries and Nakamura get called up soon and as I said previously I can see Smackdown signing them as "free agents"
SixersEagles

[/center]

The TeeJ of Philly

Joe and Nakamura aren't getting called up at the same time, one of them is going to be NXT champ after the weekend.

Gravedigger

Owens was NXT Champ for two months on main roster. Being NXT Champ doesn't mean they can't do both....

The TeeJ of Philly

Quote from: Gravedigger on July 27, 2016, 08:00:15 PM
Owens was NXT Champ for two months on main roster. Being NXT Champ doesn't mean they can't do both....

Yeah, it just means they won't this time. Unlike with KO who had Finn to take the belt off him, who is taking the belt of Joe or Nakamura? Outside of Bobby Roode who has yet to debut on TV (probably saving it for Takeover) who is there to main event and be the headline on their live shows? Aries? he's probably coming up after takeover after he puts over NWJ and probably going to RAW for the Crusierweight division. Hideo? Maybe. Asuka? Who is she wrestling?

Business sense, it makes no sense to call up both at the same time for NXT. When Corbin, Crews, Sami, Enzo/Cass, Vaudevillians were all called up around mania, it left a deft of talent to fill roles. Now after taking another 5 talents, three women from a currently shallow division, the top face team and the #1 guy you want to take the new top face, the top heel and the #2 heel in the "company"? In the span of 4 months, the only people left standing from the NXT Dallas show would be Asuka and Revival with only Roode and Itami to fill in. NXT isn't a developmental brand anymore, they need names to sell their weekend shows outside of Florida.

Drama Queen

Heath Slater could go to nxt now :)

That was a joke of course, but maybe they can get back to sending some talent the other way temporarily like they did with Cesaro, Tyson and Natalya.

jagilki

There are Rumors of quite a few people returning.  Jinder Mahal is apparently going to Raw and Curt Hawkins to Smackdown, but the rest I've seen no mention of their shows.  MVP, Carlito, Stevie Richards and Dreamer.

Cory

Quote from: jagilki on July 27, 2016, 10:21:02 PM
There are Rumors of quite a few people returning.  Jinder Mahal is apparently going to Raw and Curt Hawkins to Smackdown, but the rest I've seen no mention of their shows.  MVP, Carlito, Stevie Richards and Dreamer.

Black Death

I seen Mahal work when he was in NXT , He really good worker , if he comes back would be nice they actually did something with him.

Joe is the most likely to go up from NXT. Nakumara is going to take the belt off him at Brooklyn SS weekend .  I expect him to then do least 6 months with it before they even think about bringing up to the main roster. Quite frankly I am fine with that
"Asuka, gives you two thumbs up"

Duckman

Bobby Roode debuts on NXT next week.

As for Smackdown, it was ok, not as good as RAW and the lack of roster depth is pretty obvious.  Out of the two shows, they need talent and while it's good to see Rhyno back on TV (he can still work a decent match and the crowd responds to him well) and Shelton Benjamin, if motivated, can be really good, they really need some guys from NXT.

I'd wouldn't expect Joe and Nakamura to come up together - Teej is right, that would take a huge chunk out of the NXT roster and they need at least a few stars to draw on their own tour.

Whoever loses at Takeover should be on Smackdown the following week, or at least as soon as possible.

As for the actual SD show - Daniel Bryan is still the most over guy on the show.  They'll need to use him well to help get guys over.  His promo to light a fire under Ambrose at the PPV was awesome.  Plus any heel that goes after him is going to get great heat.  Shane's pandering act is already wearing a bit thin with me, but I still prefer a babyface in charge than a heel.

I like the idea with Ziggler, but it's going to take more than one title match to rebuild him.  I never understand WWE's mentality of treating someone like a complete afterthought for years, then giving them a one month push and expecting it to make up for the years of crap they've put the character through.  That said, Ziggler v Ambrose could be a good match.  Ziggler is getting inducted into his college wrestling hall of fame soon - so I guess that's why this push is happening now.

Personally I'd have gone with Bray Wyatt v Ambrose.  Bray's dropped weight, updated his look a little and seems motivated again.  They haven't really done much with Wyatt as a singles guy and now he's one of the top guys on SD seems like as good a time as any.  He could be a really strong lead heel going against Ambrose.

The show fell of a cliff for me in the 2nd hour when Miz and Orton did their thing.  Nothing screams 'new era' more than those two coming out and boring everyone half to death.

Again though, it's only week 1 and just like with RAW I expect there to be lots of moves and changes over the next few months as both rosters get filled out and they start to book some new feuds.

RAW wins this week, but given I haven't watched a full episode of Smackdown in at least 5 years, and I watched the whole thing this week, they've got me interested to see how things go and I'll stick with it for the next few months.
Check out the MFX Podcast today!  http://www.marksforxcellence.com/?cat=1

Subscribe to MFX via Stitcher or Itunes.  Just search: Marks for Xcellence Podcast.

T-Bonizzle

Actually the Orton and Miz segment was the highlight of the night for me. Orton came across as entertaining for the first time in years, and Miz is great as always.

Rob

Orton needed to freshen up the mic skills because his wrestling ability alone won't get him over anymore.

In order to compete with the likes of Kevin Owens, Sami Zayn and Cesaro on the other show, he needed to be able to have something different.
SixersEagles

[/center]

Cory

I hope they're just trying Orton out as a face for the Lesnar thing, because he's so clearly a heel.

Jon

Quote from: Cory on July 29, 2016, 12:45:39 PM
I hope they're just trying Orton out as a face for the Lesnar thing, because he's so clearly a heel.

I actually like him as a tweener, because he can actually pull it off really well.

GM of the Queen City Conquerors