News:

Check out our Site Partners!

80s Mania WrestlingDaShawns2cents on FacebookThe Efed PodcastESPN Sports SimsEWCThe Indy CornerMFX PodcastOld School WrestlingSLTD WrestlingWhat A Maneuver!Wrestleview.comWrestling Mayhem Show

Main Menu

Question about modems

Started by Tezmission Black, March 30, 2017, 05:23:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tezmission Black

Im just wondering if i go out and buy a modem from amazon or a store would the modem make a difference in my internet speed or is that set by whatever the internet provider provides?

Judge

Generally speaking your speed (upload/download) is set by your internet provider.  The best argument for getting one (if you're on cable anyhow) is so you don't pay the rental fee every month.  Depending on who you have, that can be $10 a month.  Most modems run around $80-$100 so you'd start saving money in as little as 8 months.

I bought my modem 4 years ago and it still works fine, and gives me the top speed I pay for from Comcast.  That's 4 years of not having to pay a stupid rental fee and have their shitty wifi router box in my house.  All I want from Comcast is for them to be an internet pipe.  I don't want them trying to give fancy routing or extra wifi or whatever. I have my own wifi router that I control and I know what's on it.

Tezmission Black

Ok cool, I'll keep that in mind, I was thinking about getting my own and it might be worth the investment.

Black Death

"Asuka, gives you two thumbs up"