News:

Check out our Site Partners!

80s Mania WrestlingDaShawns2cents on FacebookThe Efed PodcastESPN Sports SimsEWCThe Indy CornerMFX PodcastOld School WrestlingSLTD WrestlingWhat A Maneuver!Wrestleview.comWrestling Mayhem Show

Main Menu

Super Nintendo classic edition

Started by Chris Stern, October 15, 2017, 11:41:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Stern

So I got one of these for my birthday two weeks ago and wanted to give my thoughts on it. Like last year's NES classic edition, this is a plug and play console that you simply plug into your TV and can play a set number of classics. In the case of the SNES Classic you have 21 games and all are gems, so no real filler. The games are:
Contra 3
Donkey Kong Country
Earthbound
Final Fantasy 3 (FF6 US)
F Zero
Kirby's dream course
Megaman X
Secret of Mana
Star Fox
Street Fighter 2 Turbo
Super Castlevania IV
Super Ghouls and Ghosts
Super Mario kart
Super Mario RPG
Super Mario World
Super Metroid
Super Punch out
Legend of Zelda a link to the past
Yoshi's island(Super Mario World 2)
Star Fox 2 (unlocked after beating stage one of Star Fox)

And while some will say "where's Turtles in time?" Or "No Chrono trigger?" Like the NES classic it's easy to hack and add more games too. I have done it myself and it's also easy to revert back as well (again I did it myself to mine) just Google Hakchi just if you do make sure you dump a copy of the original kernal in case you need or want to revert it back to stock.

Anyway the emulation is spot on and is as accurate to the original SNES as possible, so expect games that have slowdown on actual hardware to have slowdown here.
The interface is very nice and slick, there's the ability to create four save points in each game as well as a rewind feature just in case you screwed up but be warned loading up a old save state when the main in game save is further will revert your progress to the previous one in the save state. The system will warn you of this so pay attention to which state you are loading. You can also add borders and three filters to the game CRT, 4:3 which is just normal unfiltered and Pixel perfect which plays the game in it's native aspect ratio.

Now there is some down sides namely that to change games you need to hit reset on the unit, same with save states unless you plug in a Wii or Wii U classic controller and then you can hit the home button, also it doesn't have to be in port one you can have it in port 2.

Outside of that and maybe could of had a few more games. It's a great little plug and play console and is actually cheaper than either buying a real SNES and these games (that's close to 500) or buying these on the Virtual console ($165) so if you see one I say get it.

Oh and these will be in production till some time next year when the NES classic comes back.

Judge

Eh.  I've got a Raspberry Pi running RetroArch and the entire SNES library.  This is great for people who don't know what ROMs are but not my market.

Chris Stern

Quote from: Judge on October 16, 2017, 06:33:12 AM
Eh.  I've got a Raspberry Pi running RetroArch and the entire SNES library.  This is great for people who don't know what ROMs are but not my market.
I looked into Raspberry pi and eh, it's good if you are willing to set the thing up, pay for the case and pay for controllers. But for me it's not worth it. I'm lazy and really don't need to play every SNES game. Plus this was a bit cheaper since a raspberry pi is 45, case is 10-15 and controllers are around 35 that's at least 85 bucks right there unless you have a spare 360 or Xbox one pad handy

Chris Stern

Now if you can get say Sega Saturn running on a Pi then that would be worth me looking into as Saturn is way too expensive to collect for and there's no real good way to play the gems it had.

Judge

Saturn emulation is pretty terrible even on a monster gaming PC.