News:

Check out our Site Partners!

80s Mania WrestlingDaShawns2cents on FacebookThe Efed PodcastESPN Sports SimsEWCThe Indy CornerMFX PodcastOld School WrestlingSLTD WrestlingWhat A Maneuver!Wrestleview.comWrestling Mayhem Show

Main Menu

The last book you read?

Started by TaNK, July 13, 2008, 09:13:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TaNK

I never read books but I had to go on a 5 hour drive the other day and picked up a book and couldn't put it down.

"Outlaw Biker; My Life At Full Throttle by Richard "Deadeye" Hayes"

Excellent book, it's about the life of a biker in a 1% outlaw biker club.

Zombie Gunn

Actually... I think the last book I read was The Notebook.  And I'm not gay or an old woman.

Brandon

Probably either Pet Cemetery, or A Child Called It.

JaceGryphon

The last book I read was one of DBR Scott Carr's RP's...

Bryan

lol.

I think the last book I read was Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, from last year.

Marq

I just finished "Sherlock Holmes & the Ice Palace Murders" for the third time.

People should really read more Holmes.

He can save the world.

Honestly.
"Behind you, Primo! WATCH OUT!"

Jeff Rivers

The zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks

When I bought the book I needed to help to find it. So I asked a woman that worked at the store. I told her the name of the book and she looks it up on her computer, after a moment she’s like “Oh, so that’s fiction?”

When the Zombie out break happens, I am following that guide.

Seriously though, it’s a good read.

Marq

Oh, dude -- if you just read the "Zombie Survival Guide," you gotta pick up "World War Z." It's by the same guy and is an EXCELLENT book if you liked the guide (which I also consider fact).
"Behind you, Primo! WATCH OUT!"

Jeff Rivers

I’ll defiantly try and pick it up next time I’m in a book store.

JaceGryphon

Sounds like it's along the lines of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy?

Tim-Æ

No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy.

Gary

Last book, It by Stephen King

Current Book The Stand by Stephen King (fuck you Monks)

Next Book Foccaults Pendelum by Humberto Eco

[/center]

Quote from: jagilki on October 11, 2011, 05:21:41 PM
Midas would chop off his Penis if he thought it would win him a Mafia game.

Duckman

Last Book:  The Ghost by Robert Harris.  

Harris has interrupted his Roman trilogy to write The Ghost, his first fully contemporary novel. Its titular protagonist enjoys, or endures, a position much like Tiro's: a professional non-entity in momentous times, taking dictation from a powerful patron. Anonymous even to us, he's the ghost writer contracted to supply the "autobiography" of Adam Peter Benet Lang, recently retired prime minister of Great Britain. More accustomed to fabricating the memoirs of addled pop stars and inarticulate footballers, our narrator sees his role, or at least pitches his proposal, as the man to "put some heart" into the leaden first draft left behind by his predecessor, a loyal drudge who died in a drowning accident.

Truth to tell, he's out of step and out of his element, and he knows it. Shackled to a terrifying deadline, confined to Lang's unhappy retreat on a wintry Cape Cod, he faces the unenviable responsibility of turning 600 turgid pages of facts and flannel into what the publisher boasts will be "the first full inside scoop by a leader on the west's war on terror". He's barely unpacked his laptop when the news breaks that Lang is to be investigated by the international criminal court on charges of war crimes, if not crimes against humanity. Four British civilians have been detained on suspicion of terrorist intentions and handed over to the Americans for interrogation, which means torture. Richard Rycart, an estranged former foreign secretary, has a letter signed by Lang that appears to authorise the arrests. Tension and division of all kinds jangle in the corridors of international power, the labyrinth of cyberspace, the chambers of the Cape Cod mansion. Brutal, faceless powers are after the unlovely manuscript. Perhaps its author's drowning wasn't an accident after all.

For years before the publication of Fatherland, his multimillion-selling debut novel, Robert Harris was an assiduous and illustrious political commentator. Though his subsequent condemnation of the government over the dismissal of Peter Mandelson and the invasion of Iraq could not have been more public or more vehement, his association with New Labour at its inception was, as he himself says, "almost compromising for a journalist". He has often denounced the way modern political leaders insulate themselves from the consequences of their decisions. In The Ghost he makes shrewd use of the time he spent on the campaign trail, riding around in private jets and armoured limousines: an unobserved observer, in fact, not unlike Tiro the slave.

On election night in 1997, Harris, then working for the Sunday Times, was famously the only journalist at Tony Blair's side watching the results come in. With his thick, wavy hair and his characteristic grin, his restless physical energy and eagerness to make a good impression, Adam Lang bears an uncanny, almost unpleasant resemblance to the original, though Harris never actually specifies which political party Lang represents. On the other hand, he makes it pretty clear that Lang himself didn't really care which party he had to join, as long as he could be prime minister.

Cynical, illuminating, both hard-boiled and passionately sensitive, The Ghost is a political thriller, not a satire, nor a veiled attack. Like Harris's first novels, it's set in a world discernibly different from our own. Lang's London is routinely disrupted by terrorist bombs. Lang himself is a failed actor from Leicester, not a failed rock singer from Edinburgh, and he evinces no particular religious convictions; Rycart is decidedly more Michael Heseltine than Robin Cook. While the novel owes its existence, its composition in, apparently, five white-hot months, to Harris's anger at Blair and his administration, the fierce heart of the plot - the great revelation, and the crucial twist in the tail of it - are an imaginative impertinence, an accusation no one could make or take literally. The Ghost is, finally, not about Blair; though it remains an indictment of everything he did and stood for. It's also, and most vitally, intelligent, perceptive and enormous fun. (Guardian Review.)

Current Book:  The Rabitt Factory by Marshal Karp:    

About 30 pages into The Rabbit Factory you will find yourself hoping that the book's author Marshall Karp is at home typing. He has created two LAPD cops, Mike Lomax and his partner Terry Biggs, who are smart, drop-dead funny (especially Terry), and as irreverent as two guys can be. Karp has also written a ripping good story, not counting on buddy-cop banter to carry the day.

Mike Lomax's wife, Joanie, died of cancer six months before the action begins, after a long time trying to have a family. Instead of leaving little replicas of herself, she leaves letters, which Mike opens on the 18th of every month, the anniversary of her death. His father, Big Jim, loved Joanie very much but wants to see Mike get on with his life. These guys love each other a lot and the dialogue that Karp gives them is both sharp and tender. Terry Biggs met his wife, Marilyn, who was the paramedic called when he was an "Officer Down." That meeting is so funny you have to read it to believe it.

"One thing, as they say, led to another, and despite the fact that Marilyn had seven-year-old twin daughters, and a third, age five, Terry signed on for the whole package. And that's how a guy from the Bronx winds up living in Sherman Oaks with a wife and three teenage Valley girls."

The setting of much of the action is "Familyland," a Disneyland clone, conceived of by the late Dean Lamaar, who, like Disney, started out as an animator. His creations, Rambunctious Rabbit, Slaphappy Puppy, McGreedy the Moose, and others are now big family favorites and the little cartoon studio is a global conglomerate. It has been recently sold to the Japanese, after faltering receipts, and there are plans afoot to open a theme park in Las Vegas. That opening is just months away when an employee playing Rambunctious Rabbit is murdered on the premises. Not good for the corporate image. Another murder takes place, and another, and it quickly becomes obvious that someone has it in for Lamaar's enterprises. Mike and Terry are under tremendous pressure from Ike Rose, CEO of Lamaar, to keep the whole mess under wraps, and an equal amount of pressure from their Chief to "get it solved." They work smart and long and hard to uncover a conspiracy, finding a big surprise at the end of the search.

Marshall Karp is a refreshing addition to the suspense, satire, mystery genre. His two Detectives are irresistible. (Amazon review.)

These are both awesome books with totally different styles and extremely interesting and original premise. 

Peace

Sambo
Check out the MFX Podcast today!  http://www.marksforxcellence.com/?cat=1

Subscribe to MFX via Stitcher or Itunes.  Just search: Marks for Xcellence Podcast.

Rae

The book I just finished a week ago was "The Ruins" By: Scott B. Smith.

It wasn't too bad, though I really wouldn't have considered it a scary novel. The characters are interesting and completely unlikable, so I enjoyed reading them screw themselves over. DON'T watch the movie, cause as I said in my movie blog at http://www.ingobwetrust.com, it sucked.

Drama Queen

This Boy's Life by Tobias Wolff

Technically this would be an autobiography, but he recounts his childhood with the boyish innocence he must have had back then, despite being one of those hard-ass kids grown ups always claim will amount to nothing.

It's the fact that it is so candid, and told as he seen it then (thought with the elequent use of words he has picked up in adulthood) that makes it so refreshing. He is honest enough that there were no justifications for some of his actions or flaws, that the reader ends up respecting him regardless. He almost comes across as a modern day Huck Finn.

He describes some very ordinary people with very commonplace flaws sop vividly through his then young eyes that it makes us question the society at the time as a whole, and really displays the less attractive side of humanity in some instances. Like describing his step-dad for example. The man was not a monster in the traditional sense of the words, but his weak character came across and left a bad taste in the mouth regardless.

I think anyone could enjoy this book. It is humourous, freash, quirky... with at least 20-30 phrases I wish I had come up with myself... and it covers all the usual sex, drug and rock and roll related angst of the young adulthood years, not to mention whacky hijinks like kidnapping a neighbours cat or egging rich pricks driving past with their tops down. 4 stars.