Give a small review of the last movie you watched.

Started by TaNK, July 13, 2008, 09:20:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black Death

Quote from: Cory on March 24, 2017, 10:54:11 PM
The new Dave Chappelle specials on Netflix are everything they needed to be, 10/10.

I agree too with this statement  recommend them highly,  I laugh so hard, I can not  wait for the third special to drop
"Asuka, gives you two thumbs up"

Black Death

Ghost in the Shell (2017)  -  I got to say I enjoy this movie a lot. It is visual stunning movie, Eye candy is awesome , I was engaged in it the whole time , I love ScarJo , She does a great job  as the Major  in the flim , Thought they did a great job with casting the other parts ,  Now it not a prefect movie , They dumb down the themes from the animes . there was some pacing problems. But it was not enough to take me out of the movie. It same like they were setting up for more movies. I for one hope this does well so we can see more movies in the future. I say it well worth checking  out .  It may not be your cup of tea and I know some of my fellow anime fans of the orignal movie going to hate it. I say forget about that and just enjoy it for a good sci fi flick.

ChrisShields

Guardian of The Galaxy 2 - So first things first, everything you liked about the first one is there, the comedy, the music, solid action, and the arguing between the team. The story is solid, I want give away to much, but I'll say that while it again "centers" on Star Lord, it does a good job of letting everyone have their time to shine. Baby Groot feels mostly like he's there to sell toys, but there are a few times where him being small and adorable comes in to play. I feel like they maybe went a little overboard with Drax being kind of oblivious to certain things, but Batista pulled it off perfectly. Kurt Russell is fantastic as EGO, and the one that plays the leader of The Sovereign, plays the cold meticulous bitch, very well. I think they maybe overused the music a bit, and there were some parts where it felt unnecessary, but that's really my only complaint. I won't say better than the first, but it was as good as the first. Four out of 5, and a strong recommendation to go watch.

Mike Powers

Overboard? Batista (along with Michael Rooker) is the best part of the movie!

ChrisShields

Quote from: Mike Powers on May 07, 2017, 06:21:09 PM
Overboard? Batista (along with Michael Rooker) is the best part of the movie!
I did say that he pulled it off perfectly. Batista is brilliant as Drax. I'm not disputing that at all, and yes Yondu was the fucking shit in this one. I just think some of it was a bit much.

ChrisShields

Wonder Woman - Damn good movie. I wasn't completely sold on Gal Gadot, but after seeing the movie, she pulled it of really well. There's still the darker tone compared to Marvel movies, but it worked with the setting and plot of the movie and there are some comedic elements that don't feel shoe horned in or overly cheesy like with Suicide Squad. Most of the comedy comes from the fish out of water element with Dianna. It's kind of an origin story, but not in the traditional sense. They show training and what brings her in to the World and all that, but it's established pretty quickly. The villains were alright, and the actors played them very well. With the villains, it's a case of good performers, mediocre characters. I think it might be getting a bit over hyped due to people probably not having huge expectations for it based on DC's track record, but it was a damn good movie and I would definitely suggest seeing it. Just not gonna say it's one to buy when it comes out. 4 out of 5.

Black Death

Quote from: Jack on June 19, 2017, 12:45:38 PM
Wonder Woman - I have to confess I didn't like it. It feels a bit like I'm not supposed to say that because there is a lot of girl power behind it and (at least on my facebook wall) it seems the guys who say they don't like it are all 'anti women' types, but I just didn't think it was a good movie. It was  2 1/2 hours long and just felt like it dragged for really long stretches, and lots of it felt like it could have just been taken out and the movie would have been fine.

It seemed inconsistant as well, like the would push to make Wonder Woman seem super smart by knowing a hundred languages and having read multiple volumes of books on random subjects, but then she has no idea what snow even is. Her strength seemed in consistent as well, sometimes being stuck under a piece of metal and then later lifting tanks and tossing them around like they're nothing.

Action scenes also seemed a bit over CGI'd and never really looked like Wonder Woman was kicking ass, but more like she was just floating around and people would get hit once and fly away. (reminded me a lot of the second Matrix movie fight scenes in that way) - Though, to be fair, I heard that Gal was pregnant during filming, which may have led to this.

I will say, Gal Gadot looked and acted the part of Wonder Woman very well.

The final thing I'd say is that the villain was never really put over (wrestling term alert!). There was never a single moment that it really felt like the villain had a chance or was a real threat.

Overall, it wasn't as bad as BvS, but it was bad for all the same reasons (in my opinion).

If you want to go see a real bad ass chick movie, check out Mad Max, or either of the two new Star Wars.

I hate to say it but I agree with Jack on a lot of points in his post. It was an ok movie in my opinion.  I am a huge Wonder Woman fan and I just felt disappointed after the movie was over.  Still did not like it was in WWI   Because it means She just sat on the sidelines for last 100 years while stuff went down in DC Universe,   Ares can out looking weak as hell. making her daughter of Zeus ( nerd rage here) Actually started to drift asleep during the last part of the film.  once it was over no desire to see it again

It did not blow me away, decent movie,  best DC movie in a long time, but still a waste in my eyes

ChrisShields

Spiderman: Homecoming - I really enjoyed this. I think this might have been my favorite Spiderman movie. It's definitely better than either of the ones with Andrew Garfield, and of the Maguire ones, only one I would maybe say as the same, is the 2nd. Big thing is that we didn't get an origin story for him. Good action, good comedy, good story and plot. Keaton is fantastic as the Vulture, the "secondary" villains do a great job and his buddy Ned is solid. There were a few changes I didn't like. Flash Thompson goes from a large classic bully type, to this small little douchey kid that looks like Peter could have easily beaten him up before the super powers. I could care less about them making him an Indian dude, or if they would have cast a black actor or a hispanic actor or whoever. The problem is that they ruined the character. Zendaya's character isn't Mary Jane like was rumored, but she does want to be called MJ, and she's just not good at all. Her character is kind of annoying and she's a shit actress. Those are my only complaints with the movie, and ultimately, they don't mess it up that much. I do wish they wouldn't have aged him down so much, but that's not something that really bothered me. Overall, it was a good movie and a good showing for the character. Keaton really shines in this as The Vulture, and RDJ is great in the sort of mentor role. Overall, giving this one a 4 out of 5.

ChrisShields

Dunkirk - This was a really good movie. While no performances really stood out as being incredible, everyone was good in their role. The effects feel much more practical and realistic than a lot of other war movies. If you're going in to this expecting a lot of shooting and bombs, you'll be disappointed. If you're going in expecting these long speeches and stuff like that, you'll be disappointed (I would guess there's 1,000 words of dialogue in this). If you're going in expecting a fairly historically accurate depiction of the fight for survival, you will be very pleased. This is one of those movies that I really liked at the time, and then after learning more about the historical significance, absolutely loved. Dunkirk is a movie that needs to be seen, if for nothing else than it tells the story of an oft overlooked piece of both military and World history. I've seen a few people say that they weren't really able to connect with the individual characters, and while I can kind of see that, I don't think it's important. The spotlighted individual characters, are really every soldier that was stuck on that beach, scared and wanting nothing more than to get home. They're the civilians that risked their safety to help their boys get home and continue to fight. I'm giving this one a 4 out of 5 as a general movie fan, a 5 out of 5 as a history lover.

ChrisShields

IT - Can't sleep, clown will fucking eat me. That's how I feel after watching this movie. It's freaky as hell and there's some seriously messed up stuff, some great jump scares, and Pennywise is creepy as shit. The kids all do a great job with their characters, and the movie does blend in a little bit of comedy with the serious tone and the horror. Overall, this was much better than the made for TV version, and while it did leave me a little freaked out, it also left me looking forward to Chapter 2. I've never been a big fan of horror movies, but I enjoyed this one. Giving it a 4 out of 5.

Black Death

Hitman's Bodyguard -  I really enjoy this film, Ryan Reynolds kills it in this role as the bodyguard to Sam Jackson hitman. They have great chemistry together, Great one-liners and I love the action in the movie and Salma Hayek still looks damn good as Sam Jackson bad ass wife.  Plus Gary Oldman in it also,  He Gary Oldman, that speaks for itself.  Funny, great action, I had a good time and I recommend it . You will have a good time.

Black Death

Thor  Raganrock ... Awesome film , I love it had me laughing from start to finish , I got nothing bad to say about this movie, I love the action , the comedy , The characters. I say go out and see it and judge for yourself . It was one of the best times I had in the movies in a while . Marvel does it again in my eyes.