News:

Join our chat! - https://discord.gg/6vUfQnG

Main Menu

KC's Recommendation Thread

Started by Rob, December 02, 2009, 06:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob

Looks like I was right about Marina and the Diamonds. Her debut album The Family Jewels has entered the UK albums chart at Number 5 and the Irish Albums chart at no 9. Most reviews are fairly positive. Shamefully, NME gave it 9/10 and I feel sick to my stomach that I'm agreeing with them. The Independent, who are exactly as the title says are independent, as their views are often really different on music, gave her 1* out of 5. I still think she's going to explode if Obsessions or I'm Not A Robot get released. She got pretty great attention by NME's awards by singing with Biffy Clyro (bleurgh).
SixersEagles

[/center]

The Canadian Repo

I basically just download random albums from here:

http://www.sordomusic.com/db/

...and most of the time they're good. I'd definitely recommend checking the above out.

Tim-Æ

Quote from: The Canadian Repo on March 25, 2010, 05:23:30 AM
I basically just download random albums from here:

http://www.sordomusic.com/db/

...and most of the time they're good. I'd definitely recommend checking the above out.

I do the same thing. This is actually one of my main sources for music.

Rob

Sweet, this looks great. Thanks.
SixersEagles

[/center]

Rob

Ages since my last recommendation. Havent really been listening to new music. Would be stupid for me to recommend Fleetwood Mac or Nick Drake.

This is a band I have instantly fallen in love with, though. Their album, Just Do It, is probably my favourite this year so far. It's perfectly put together and there's not a song on the album that sounds wrong or out of place.

The band is called Elias and the Wizzkids and they're from Sweden. Their sound is just a bubbly pop rock sort of sound. Intriguing though.

SixersEagles

[/center]

Rob

Almost a month since I recommended anything,

Here is My Bloody Valentine with a live version of To Here Knows Why. Beware, they are shoegaze, you may not like them. I happen to love them, especially after a few herbal cigarettes... Very therapeutic and one of the bands I associate with my music taste maturing in the last 5 years.

SixersEagles

[/center]

Tim-Æ

You may wanna check out Male Bonding, KC. Really good lofi kinda shoegazing punk. digging it.

Tim-Æ

Can't get enough of this song. I didn't care for Wavves last year when I first heard them, but this song is fucking tits.

Rob

I do like the Waves song a lot. Not too sure about Male Bonding, but maybe they need a few listens before they grow on me.
SixersEagles

[/center]

Rob

Another recommendation, coming quickly now.

Honestly, I thought I had mentioned Tunng all ready in this. But I see their album ...And Then We Saw Land as one of the best this year. Such an interesting and wonderfully melodic folk band, really catchy music and the kind of lyrics you really need from folk bands. No silly shit like the Hold Steady. Just very intelligent music, with really pleasant guitar playing, which has become somewhat a lost cause in a lot of the generic folk music lately.

Honestly, check them out, if you've got an ear for catchy music, you'll love Tunng.

SixersEagles

[/center]

Rob

Really good I think actually! Surprisingly too, cause I thought I'd hate Japandroids when I first read about them

Actually digging Surfer Blood - Floating Vibes at the moment. The riff's pretty interesting, loving it.
SixersEagles

[/center]

Tim-Æ

Telling ya, Japandroids are the fucking shit dude. Younger Us is creeping into my top songs of the year rapidly.

Wavves are impressing me too.

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/tracks/11912-post-acid/

Rob

Love the distortion on the drums. Really catchy punk song. Cheers Tim.
SixersEagles

[/center]

Rob

Wow,

Dinosaur Jr! Haven't really listened to them in ages. I love coming back to music like this, especially with guitar riff's like Dinosaur Jr. J. Mascis is actually a genius and this music was another one of the bands that got me through a tough period. Fortunately now I can listen to this music and look back fondly. It may sound like garbage with peculiar placement of instruments and pretty shocking vocals, but trust me it grows on you. DinoJr are one of the forefront bands of the experimental rock era.

SixersEagles

[/center]