News:

Check out our Site Partners!

80s Mania WrestlingDaShawns2cents on FacebookThe Efed PodcastESPN Sports SimsEWCThe Indy CornerMFX PodcastOld School WrestlingSLTD WrestlingWhat A Maneuver!Wrestleview.comWrestling Mayhem Show

Main Menu

MMA News Discussion Thread

Started by ciscoKID_VWF, July 14, 2008, 06:00:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MitchMMA

Hermes Franca vs Frankie Edgar should be the fight of the night, I have a good feeling about that one. I see Franca probably submitting Edgar somewhere in either round 2 or 3 probably. Frankie Edgar is the only member of "Team Rhino" (LOL) that fights in the UFC, Edgar is one hell of a fighter with a recent loss to one of my favorite up and comers (Gray Maynard), this should be a war!

As for Silva vs Irvin, should be a good fight. Silva is Silva, the guy is pretty much unstoppable at 185 so let's see how he does at 205, I don't see him pounding Irvin with knees in the clinch as much as he did against Franklin for some reason so I can see Anderson taking it to the ground and submitting "The Sandman", Irvin has those heavy hands and with a HUGE oppurtunity like this against a guy that many consider to be P4P best in the world, Irvin is going to jump all over it, a win here could make him a star overnight just like that.

Speaking of Anderson Silva, you guys remember when he fought Ryo Chonan in PRIDE? That was crazy, he was dominating Ryo and then out of nowhere Chonan pulls off a flying sciccors heel hook (which rarely ever works) and submits Anderson Silva lol.

ciscoKID_VWF

Damn I forgot that.  You know if Silva knocks this guy out the GSP vs Silva will be on like donkey kong

MitchMMA

I'd love to see GSP vs Anderson Silva, I mean that would be a very interesting fight between the best WW and the best MW. Thing is though, I have never seen GSP fight at 185 before so Anderson definetely gets the advantage there since he is more comfortable fighting at that weight but it would be a great fight.

There have even been talks about a BJ Penn-GSP 2 fight which would be awesome but shouldn't happen until BJ cleans out 155 pounds first, BJ jumps weight divisions way too often but the guy is an MMA God lol. He fought Lyoto Machida once at 185 (I think it was 185) and he looked way different like he wasn't comfortable in that weight but he took Lyoto the distance and lost a descision. BJ Penn is the man but I want to see him beat everyone from Kenny Florian to Tyson Griffin in his weight class first before going back to 170 lol. Honestly I think he could beat GSP though, their last fight was really close and I think BJ can win this time no doubt.

MitchMMA

Fedor, is he the pound for pound greatest? You can say that, most people will say that he is. I can't argue with it , like TaNK said before the guy has beaten some top quality heavyweights such as Cro-Cop, Hunt, Big Nog, etc. HOWEVER he has not been tested in awhile, his last real test was in 2006 against Mark Hunt so this is going to be the first time in awhile that Fedor is REALLY going to be tested, I like Tim's chances but I'm picking Fedor, Sylvia has good takedown defense and good striking.... trust me Fedor is not going to be able to run through a guy like Sylvia. I can see Fedor having some problems with Big Tim, but Fedor will be able to handle it and finish the fight with a KO or a submission. I wish I had some money so that I could order Affliction, but I am a cheap bastard so I'm watching UFN 14, which should be an awesome card too, but I mean they could have headlined the card with just about anyone and I would still watch it cause it's free MMA lol.

Arlovski vs Rothwell, should be AMAZING, words cannot describe how much I love this match-up. Rothwell is a big dude with a lot of talent but I see The Pitbull taking this, All hail King Pitbull!! ;D

As for Barnett vs Rizzo, this is a re-match from a fight they had years ago I believe. Barnett won (i'm pretty sure) the last time and I think he will win this time as well, I don't think Pedro Rizzo has improved a lot since then, but I still respect him cause of his veteran status but Barnett is the man!

TaNK

This will be for upcoming events only. If you want to discuss a match or even a event itself. Please make a thread. I will only be adding major events at first. UFC, WEC, DREAM, World Victory Road, and Elite XC.

More will be added as time progresses.

July 19, 2008

Affliction : Banned

WAMMA Heavyweight Championship bout:  Fedor Emelianenko vs.  Tim Sylvia
Heavyweight bout:  Andrei Arlovski vs.  Ben Rothwell
Heavyweight bout:  Josh Barnett vs.  Pedro Rizzo
Middleweight bout:  Matt Lindland vs.  Fabio Negao
Light heavyweight bout:  Renato Sobral vs.  Mike Whitehead

Preliminary card
Heavyweight bout:  Aleksander Emelianenko vs.  Paul Buentello
Light heavyweight bout:  Antonio Rogerio Nogueira vs.  Edwin Dewees
Middleweight bout:  Vitor Belfort vs.  Terry Martin
Featherweight bout:  Savant Young vs.  Mark Hominick
Welterweight bout:  Mike Pyle vs.  JJ Ambrose
Middleweight bout:  Justin Levens vs.  Ray Lizama

Notes: Vernon White, who was originally scheduled to face Antonio Rogerio Nogueira, was removed from the card after testing positive for a banned substance following a May bout. Edwin Dewees has been announced as a replacement.
Bravo will be showing Affliction Banned on tape delay on 20 July in the UK.

UFC: Silva vs. Irvin

Main card
Light Heavyweight bout:  Anderson Silva vs.  James Irvin
Lightweight bout:  Hermes Franca vs.  Frank Edgar
Light Heavyweight bout:  Brandon Vera vs.  Reese Andy
Welterweight bout:  Anthony Johnson vs.  Kevin Burns
Middleweight bout:  Jesse Taylor vs.  C.B. Dollaway
Heavyweight bout:  Cain Velasquez vs.  Jake O'Brien

Preliminary card
Welterweight bout:  Brad Blackburn vs.  James Giboo
Welterweight bout:  Rory Markham vs.  Brodie Farber
Lightweight bout:  Dale Hart vs.  Shannon Gugerty
Middleweight bout:  Nate Loughran vs.  Johnny Rees
Middleweight bout:  Tim Credeur vs.  Cale Yarborough

Notes: Anderson Silva (UFC MW Champion and arguably #1 P4P fighter) will be making his transition to Light Heavyweight.

7-20-2008

DREAM.5 - Light Weight Grandprix 2008 Final Round

Featherweight Bout:  Norifumi "KID" Yamamoto vs.  Joseph Benavidez
Featherweight Bout:  Hideo Tokoro vs. Takeshi Yamazaki
Middleweight Bout:  Yoshihiro Akiyama vs.  Katsuyori Shibata
Welterweight Bout:  Motoki Miyazawa vs.  Kuniyoshi Hironaka
Lightweight Grand Prix Bout:  Shinya Aoki vs.  Caol Uno
Lightweight Grand Prix Bout:  Eddie Alvarez vs. Tatsuya Kawajiri
Lightweight Grand Prix Reserve Bout:  Joachim Hansen vs. Kultar Gill
Lightweight Championship bout: Shinya Aoki/Caol Uno vs. Eddie Alvarez/Tatsuya Kawajiri

Notes:  Nick Diaz was originally scheduled to fight Hayato Sakurai to determine the DREAM Welterweight Champion, but Diaz had to pull out due to contractual obligations to EliteXC.
Mirko "Crocop" Filipovic had been a long rumored participant. Originally scheduled to face Jerome LeBanner, and later Mighty Mo Siligia, Mirko had to pull out due to a recovering shoulder injury and minor impending knee surgery. Mirko expressed interest in fighting at DREAM.6 in September.

7-26-2008

Elite XC presents : Saturday Night Fights

Robbie Lawler VS Scott Smith
Jake Shields VS Nick Thompson
Antonio Silva VS Justin Eilers
Nick Diaz VS Thomas Denny
Wilson Reis VS Brian Caraway 
Shayna Baszler VS Cristiane Santos
Rafael Cavalcante VS Travis Galbraith

Notes: None that I know of.

8-3-2008

WEC 35:

Lightweight Championship bout:  Jamie Varner vs.  Marcus Hicks
Light Heavyweight Championship bout:  Brian Stann vs.  Steve Cantwell
Welterweight Championship bout:  Carlos Condit vs.  Hiromitsu Miura
Brian Bowles vs.  Damacio Page
Micah Miller Vs.  Josh Grispi

Undercard
Brock Larson vs.  Carlo Prater
Blas Avena vs.  Dave Terrel
Cub Swanson vs.  Hiroyuki Takaya
Alex Karalexis vs.  Todd Moore
Mike Budnik vs.  Greg McIntyre
Scott Jorgensen vs.  Kenji Osawa

Notes: None that I know of at this point.

8-9-2008

UFC 87 : Seek And Destroy

Main card
Welterweight championship bout:  Georges St. Pierre vs.  Jon Fitch
Lightweight bout:  Kenny Florian vs.  Roger Huerta
Heavyweight bout:  Brock Lesnar vs.  Heath Herring
Lightweight bout:  Manny Gamburyan vs.  Rob Emerson
Middleweight bout:  Jason MacDonald vs.  Demian Maia

Preliminary card
Heavyweight bout:  Cheick Kongo vs.  Dan Evensen
Welterweight Bout:  Chris Wilson vs.  Steve Bruno
Welterweight Bout:  Ben Saunders vs.  Jared Rollins
Welterweight Bout:  Luke Cummo vs.  Tamdan McCrory
Light Heavyweight bout:  Andre Gusmao vs.  Razak Al-Hussan

Notes: Brock Lesnar was originally planned to fight Mark Coleman but due to an injury Coleman stepped out. Heath Herring opted to replace Coleman.

TaNK

Quinton "Rampage" Jackson, former light heavyweight champion of the Ultimate Fighter Championships, was arrested on suspicion of felony evading, hit-and-run and reckless driving Tuesday after he allegedly led police on a pursuit from Costa Mesa to Newport Beach, police said.

Jackson, the driver of a lifted, gray pick-up truck left crashed cars, shredded tires and sparks in his wake this afternoon when he led police on a short pursuit from the southbound 55 freeway exit onto Newport Boulevard where he hit at least three cars, police said.

The driver hit two cars at 19th Street and Newport Boulevard, then drove away at about 1:13 p.m., Lt. Paul Dondero said.  A Costa Mesa police officer saw the driver southbound approaching 17th Street and tried to pull him over, police said. There, he hit at least one more car before continuing to run, now heading south toward the Balboa Peninsula, Dondero said. Some time after that, the truck blew a tire but continued to drive on its rims, Dondero said.

Jackson eventually gave up, pulled over and was arrested, police said. The whole chase lasted about five minutes, Dondero said.

Source: http://www.dailypilot.com/articles/2008/07/15/publicsafety/dpt-pursuit071608.txt

MitchMMA

wow, thats messed up. What was he thinking?

TaNK

Source: Yahoo Sports!

Former UFC light heavyweight champion Quinton “Rampage” Jackson was arrested and held on $25,000 bail following a traffic accident Tuesday afternoon in Costa Mesa, Calif.

According to Costa Mesa police Lt. Paul Dondero, an officer observed the 30-year old Jackson driving with a flat tire on his 2008 Ford F-350 pickup truck and talking on his cell phone (which recently became illegal while driving in Calif.) and attempted to pull him over.

Dondero said Jackson, a resident of Irvine, Calif., ignored the officer and continued driving with the officer in pursuit.

Police had received a report of a vehicle involved in a collision on the 55 Freeway in Costa Mesa, which struck other vehicles and fled the scene, Dondero said.

The chase continued with the vehicle weaving in and out of traffic, including at one point driving on the wrong side of the road and even on a sidewalk, scaring pedestrians.

Dondero said Jackson hit two cars at 19th Street and Newport Boulevard at 1:13 p.m., but failed to stop. He said a Costa Mesa police officer saw the truck near 17th Street and attempted to pull it over.

Jackson fled and hit at least one more car before the five-minute chase ended with his arrest, the lieutenant said.

The officer saw the vehicle in a second collision. It is believed nobody was injured.

The car continued to Newport Beach, where the tire blew out and came off the rim and he was taken into the Orange County Central jail, where he is being held on $25,000 bail. The fighter was charged with hit-and-run driving, felony evading and reckless driving.

UFC president Dana White flew to Orange County upon learning of the arrest and said he was driving to the county jail to post bail for Jackson.

The story was initially reported by the website TMZ.com, which has photos of Jackson lying face down on the street behind his truck, a 2008 Ford F-350 turbo diesel, as a police officer has his gun drawn and is pointing it at him.

Jackson won the UFC light heavyweight title by knocking out Chuck Liddell at UFC 71 on May 26, 2007. After a successful defense against Dan Henderson on Sept. 5, Jackson lost the belt to Forrest Griffin on a controversial decision at UFC 86 on July 5 at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas.

Jackson’s manager/trainer, Juanito Ibarra, did not immediately return phone calls.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This has more information than the other link I supplied earlier. Also, I think it wasvery cool of Dana WHite to do that. I would really like to know what was going on through his mind as well.

Duckman

Did you guys see the pictures?

http://www.wwtdd.com/post.phtml?pk=9351

The earlier post on WWTDD was funny..."well Madam, can you describe the vehicle that hit you?"  "Yeah, imagine Rampage Jackson as a truck"

Crazy shit.

Peace

Duckman
Check out the MFX Podcast today!  http://www.marksforxcellence.com/?cat=1

Subscribe to MFX via Stitcher or Itunes.  Just search: Marks for Xcellence Podcast.

MitchMMA

DaveGilly

Quote from: Duckman on July 16, 2008, 02:09:22 PM

The earlier post on WWTDD was funny..."well Madam, can you describe the vehicle that hit you?"  "Yeah, imagine Rampage Jackson as a truck"

LOL, quality.

TaNK

Quote from: MitchMMA on July 15, 2008, 09:30:23 AM
Speaking of Anderson Silva, you guys remember when he fought Ryo Chonan in PRIDE? That was crazy, he was dominating Ryo and then out of nowhere Chonan pulls off a flying sciccors heel hook (which rarely ever works) and submits Anderson Silva lol.

You mean this one?  ;D

http://youtube.com/watch?v=267i7rKeECA

TaNK

UFC.com has confirmed this.

While I think that this will be a good fight but I just hope that Machida gets a title shot after this. He really has deserved one.

Most people think that he needs to beat a top 10 fighter to get one but he has beaten quality competition to recieve one. I just hope Dana doesn't use him to beat contenders so that he keeps Forrest safe like he did with Chuck while Tito was the champ.

AudiblyOffensive

The whole thing's just bizarre.

AudiblyOffensive

This fight is huge. Machida has been solid over his last few fights. I actually enjoy watching him. He's not a traditional banger, but the guy can finish a fight if he's given something to work with (see the fight with Sokoudjou).

Silva is a wrecking machine. He's got some of the best KO power in the 205-pound division and after the winner of Liddell/Evans at UFC 88, I think the Machida/Silva winner could put themselves in line for a title shot.