News:

Check out our Site Partners!

80s Mania WrestlingDaShawns2cents on FacebookThe Efed PodcastESPN Sports SimsEWCThe Indy CornerMFX PodcastOld School WrestlingSLTD WrestlingWhat A Maneuver!Wrestleview.comWrestling Mayhem Show

Main Menu

Cena Injured

Started by The Rick, August 26, 2008, 07:57:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rick

A follow up to the announcement on Raw from WWE.com

QuoteThree-time WWE Champion John Cena will be out of action indefinitely with a herniated disk in his neck. Requiring surgery, this injury is the result of several Batista Bombs delivered by The Animal at SummerSlam.

According to WWE’s Dr. Chris Amann, who reviewed the MRI results with Cena, the injury sustained by the Chain Gang Commander was considerably worse than originally thought with large disk herniation.

“It needs to be dealt with because I lost most of the feeling in my right arm and am having pain in my shoulder,” Cena told WWE.com. “I’m losing 20 percent of my strength per day. If I don’t do anything about it, the injury will end up rupturing and then the surgery will be more difficult. It’s not easy, because surgery never is.”

Last year, Cena missed considerable time when he tore his pectoral muscle after receiving an RKO by Randy Orton on an announce table. He later made a remarkable return to the ring months ahead of schedule at the Royal Rumble this past January.

“It’s a different injury than the pectoral tear because that was more of a muscle injury; this is concerning my bones, which has a lot less blood flow than muscle tissue. It also has to do with my neck, which is a very fragile area,” Cena described.

“Every moment I stay away from the table is another moment something bad can happen. The disk is so bulged out and inflamed that any sudden move could make it worse.”

But when it comes to the Chain Gang Commander, the pain associated with this type of injury is perhaps second only to the anguish of being forced away from sports-entertainment â€" his home. Still, Cena recognizes what he needs to do, even if it means stepping away from the ring for some time.

“You can either do one or two things: You can be upset or pout or you can know what to do to get better,” Cena said. “I’m already in the mode of getting the surgery as quick as I can.”

He continued, “In the last ten months, I’ve really focused on functional strength training and I’m stronger than I’ve ever been. My goal is to talk to the neurosurgeon about how quickly I can get back to full-throttle training and getting back into the ring. And that’s the ultimate goal â€" to be strong as I can and get back into the ring as soon as possible.”

Cena is scheduled to see doctors on Tuesday morning with neurosurgeon Dr. Joseph Maroon at the University of Pittsburgh. Be sure to check back with WWE.com for updates on the condition of the Chain Gang Commander and his imminent surgery.

Exile

how the fuck can you take any of that seriously when they keep calling him the chain gang commander?!

Bryan

thats what i thought.

well, the kiddies are going to be sad, that's for sure. i guess batista will just have to handle decimating what's left of the tag team divison on raw.

Russ

I actually marked when he won the royal rumble, even though I don't like the guy. Ruptured disc's got to hurt, so hopefully he'll be back soon
Boss of the Experts, Hero of the TFWF and SCW, all-round giant bag of awesomness.

Cory

SUBSCRIBE TO MY GAMING CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE

Gary

no matter how much you may dislike the guy, i dont think its cool to celebrate that he's injured. And he may suck in the ring (although he's had great matches most recently summerslam), and he does what creative tells him to do, you can't deny the guy works hard as fuck! Hopefully it isnt as serious as some think.

[/center]

Quote from: jagilki on October 11, 2011, 05:21:41 PM
Midas would chop off his Penis if he thought it would win him a Mafia game.

Bryan

i'm not one of the cena haters in all honesty. i mean, i don't appeal to his demographic but he works his ass off to entertain the fans, and that's what every wrestler should do in all honesty. he's had some great matches too in the past, like the hour long match he had against HBK last year. he'll have his haters for sure  but I don't mind him.

The Murph

I'm not a fan of the guy. I've seen him wrestle live twice. Once was when he was a green rookie just after he debuted and he was crap. The last time was as WWE champ vs Orton around the time Khali debuted. And he was ok. But the thing is he does work his ass off. He cares about the fans. He does have limited ability but that's not his fault, you really can only be as good as u possibly can. Not everyone can be a 5 star wrestler, no matter how hard they try. Do I like Cena? No. Do I respect him? yes.

Black Death

I think it half and half... injury yes but it not that bad ... but you right how can I be serious if they use   Chain Gang Commander    over and over again ... I can't  stop laughing every time I read it .   He has the movie promotion that going to be coming up soon and this great way to get him rested and promote the film...   plus you may hate him ,   but I think the guy is entertaining , he works hard and tries to give you a show every night .   I am hoping he goes with a heel turn soon .  it time to throw back what the fans have been giving you... comes on and says I bust my ass for you people and got hurt for you people and all I hear is that you are crap and you don't have any moves but five ...bah bah bah...well why should I kick ass for you , when I can do it for myself and get paid for it...

Heel turn fun ... and look at him in a new light.     
"Asuka, gives you two thumbs up"

BobbyStrange

I don't hate Cena but I am glad to see he injuried and off TV for a while but couldn't he have done all of us a favor and took The Animal out with him.

Duckman

From Prowrestling.net:

"John Cena received good news following surgery to repair the herniated disc in his neck. "I think John’s prognosis is excellent," neurosurgeon Joseph Maroon told WWE.com after performing the surgery on Tuesday. "He should be able to return to wrestling in two to four months. John will be working out next week. We performed this same procedure on three all pro NFL players; and all three resumed their football careers.”

Maroon noted that he removed a large disc fragment compression on the spinal cord that was weakening the nerve leading to Cena's right arm, which was causing the numbness. To read the full story, visit WWE.com."

Looks like they got the problem early on and it didn't develop into the more serious problems that Edge, Rhyno, Austin, Benoit, Helms and others have suffered.

Love him or hate him Cena is WWE at the moment.  He's this generations Hulk Hogan.  I'm sure there were loads of wrestling fans in the 80's who hated Hogan with his crap moves, formulaic matches and under 12 year old fan base.

I actually enjoy watching Cena matches because he illicits such a big response from the crowd which always brings the match up a level, plus for a babyface all he needs is good selling and good fire and he's got both of them.

Have to say I'm pleased he's not out for ages because Raw just doesn't have the heels to help build up any of the babyfaces to get to Cena's level. 

Peace

Duckman

Check out the MFX Podcast today!  http://www.marksforxcellence.com/?cat=1

Subscribe to MFX via Stitcher or Itunes.  Just search: Marks for Xcellence Podcast.

skelly

Anyone saying they are happy he is injured are simply super marks who need to realize that you are mocking someones existence. Regardless of his level of suck in the ring, he is still a human being who works (all be it a better living) for a living and that is being threatened right now. Climb down off your Markism and think about it in these terms. 

You go to a convenience store daily. The guy behind the counter is a dick. One night he's shot in the shoulder by an armed robber. Next day, a really nice guy works there, smiles at you, says 'have a nice day' and ' come back soon.'... Are you honestly happy that the other guy got shot in the arm?

Not trying to be an asshole, but those who are happy he's injured are being just that, assholes.

KenFucious

Quote from: skelly on August 28, 2008, 03:20:22 PM
Anyone saying they are happy he is injured are simply super marks who need to realize that you are mocking someones existence. Regardless of his level of suck in the ring, he is still a human being who works (all be it a better living) for a living and that is being threatened right now. Climb down off your Markism and think about it in these terms. 

You go to a convenience store daily. The guy behind the counter is a dick. One night he's shot in the shoulder by an armed robber. Next day, a really nice guy works there, smiles at you, says 'have a nice day' and ' come back soon.'... Are you honestly happy that the other guy got shot in the arm?

Not trying to be an asshole, but those who are happy he's injured are being just that, assholes.

truth.