News:

Check out our Site Partners!

80s Mania WrestlingDaShawns2cents on FacebookThe Efed PodcastESPN Sports SimsEWCThe Indy CornerMFX PodcastOld School WrestlingSLTD WrestlingWhat A Maneuver!Wrestleview.comWrestling Mayhem Show

Main Menu

A PlayList That Makes Sentz (9/15/08)

Started by Tim-Æ, September 15, 2008, 12:55:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim-Æ

Okay DJ's and music lovers, this is your official plug in to the music world. You won't find Beyonce or Tim McGraw though, nothing about country or rap really, and that's a shame I know for the suburban wiggers, but this column is dedicated specifically to the music on rotation in the House of Sentz, because it makes a lot of it.

So lets spin it...

Music talk -

Lets see. A lot of new stuff out this month, and I've done a dabble in all of it. The new Metallica album hit the streets this week and the major consenus is...according to Metacritic....positive. I haven't listened to much of it because I gave up on that band a long time ago (1989 to be exact), but if its anything like their last 10 albums, I'll pass. The problem with Metallica is that its all the same, and they have overstayed their welcome by now. After their DVD Some Kind of Monster where they cry about how hard it is being rockstars with alcoholism, I realized that they've become more of a fad than ever before. MTVs version of rock, along with crap like Nickelback and LInkin Park, and even to some extent Slipknot. There was a time when this band mattered, and they were brutal, but with age comes the hope that you'll never fade away, which honestly, Metallica would be a lot better if they had stopped with ReLoad and never written another record, and shut the hell up about Napster. Unfortunately those who were avid fans of early metallica, are screwed by this new rehash of St. Anger and a toilet flushing. No thank you Metallica.

Jack White is apparently upset that a snippet of his original theme song for the new Bond film "Quantum of Solace " was apparently used in a Coke Zero ad. No surprise there (that they used it) but you can find it on YouTube right now. It sounds like The White Stripes playing the Bond theme basically, which is awesome to me, some may not care for it. It's just the instrumental right now, the full version is set to drop Oct. 28th. Being part of the Jack White cult, I'm psyched for this song, even if it does have Alicia Keys.

The VMAs were last week and I hear it was atrocious. I don't even know what station MTV is here in Lawrence, so the likeliness of me watching it is very slim. But apparently the Jonas Bros are virgins? Good job? If they could vote i'm sure it would be for Sarah Palin. I don't know if its a ploy to get their records to sell more or what, but honestly I could care less about your personal life. My favorite band is Tool. But Maynard is a prick, and I think I'd get irritated if I were to ever meet him. He's got a kid, big deal, I don't care, I just want him to write some good music and shut the hell up. So the fact that the Jonas boys wear celibacy rings really doesn't strike me as news worthy. I just wanted to make fun of them. I give it two years before one of them gets their girlfriend pregnant, and it becomes a media frenzy.

New Kids on the Block are back? Who cares. Nothing worse than having a boy band return when they are no longer a boy band. Someone needs money. I'm all about groups reforming, when they are legitimate bands. The Stone Temple Pilots reformed and did a huge world wide tour this summer, and are going to write their follow up to Shangri La Di Da due next year. The Kids on the Block wrote this record in a half an hour. Fuck this stupid band.

And the most important news of the week?

Radiohead are going back into the studio in the spring to record the follow up to In Rainbows. Thats very good news.

new This Week

The Cure drops their new LP - "Hypnagogic States" - I'll be downloading this and I'l llet you know how it is. *note, just realized this is a remix album by bands who wish they were the Cure....no thanks!*

Buckcherry's new one "Black Butterfly" - PASS. Shit band, with only two memorable songs that are written by five year olds. "Crazy Bitch" was written on a cocktail napkin and Sarah Palin's retarded baby could write a better song.

Avenged Sevenfold releases a live record. Not that important since the best thing about this band is the music, I hate the vocals with a passion.

Hey remember that band that sounded like Alice in Chains? Taproot? Yeah, after disappearing off the face of the Earth following their last record (the abysmal "Blue Sky Research") they return with what will hopefully be a return to form, and a further departure from the dying genre of nu-metal. Long Road Home drops tomorrow.

A reissue of Rush's apparent greatest album "2112" also drops this week. I'm not a huge fan of Rush but I'm not beyond acknowledging their contribution to rock.

What I'll be downloading this week - Some indie rock band you have NEVER heard of.

Tim's Playlist that Makes Sentz - What Tim is Listening to This week

1. The Ocean and the Sun by The Sound of Animals Fighting
2. In Rainbows by Radiohead
3. Everything That Happens will Happen Today by Brian Eno & David Byrne
4. The Kinks Are the Village Green Preservation Society
5. Autumn of the Seraphs by Pinback
6.  Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga by Spoon
7. Fleet Foxes by  Fleet Foxes
8. Arm's Way by Islands
9. Girls & Weather by The Rumble Strips
10. Don't Make Me Wait by Locksley
11. Oh, Inverted World by The Shins
12. Stay Positive by the Hold Steady

Look out next week when I tell you once again that your music taste sucks, and that mine is superior, and we'll go from there.

Exile

EXCELLENT choices on these.

2. In Rainbows by Radiohead
4. The Kinks Are the Village Green Preservation Society
6.  Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga by Spoon
10. Locksley by Locksley
11. Oh, Inverted World by The Shins

We seem to have very similar taste so Im gonna check out the rest of the stuff on your playlist. Ive heard good stuff about Hold Steady. Great playlist tim.

BTW i FUCKING hate avenged sevenfold. Worst fucking band ever. Though the new Taproot intrigues me. I saw them live and were excellent, though i never picked up thier second album.

Alex Smiley

An interesting fact about Taproot: Their manager is Mark Wakefield, formerly the lead vocalist of Xero. Xero then became...Linkin Park.

And, of course, Stephen Richards is vocalist for Taproot, and was a part of the Reanimation album.
/six degrees of separation

Good stuff, Tim. I hope to get a listen on some of these songs/albums.

Quote from: JackHondo on October 24, 2012, 07:31:28 AM
You're right, Jesus is nicer. But Alex is a close second.

Tim-Æ

I've seen Taproot as well live, and they are a very good live act. My only worry with the new record is that they continue to struggle with their footing. I see them really shining through once they can reach the greatness of "Welcome."

Duncan

Rob

It doesn't get more European than Radiohead, D'man.
SixersEagles

[/center]

Duncan

Rob

SixersEagles

[/center]

Duckman

It's THE FINAL COUNTDOWN!!!!

Sorry, Bryan Danielson uses that song as his intro in ROH and it kicks ass!!

Peace

Duckman
Check out the MFX Podcast today!  http://www.marksforxcellence.com/?cat=1

Subscribe to MFX via Stitcher or Itunes.  Just search: Marks for Xcellence Podcast.