News:

Check out our Site Partners!

80s Mania WrestlingDaShawns2cents on FacebookThe Efed PodcastESPN Sports SimsEWCThe Indy CornerMFX PodcastOld School WrestlingSLTD WrestlingWhat A Maneuver!Wrestleview.comWrestling Mayhem Show

Main Menu

"Captain America: The Winter Soldier"

Started by Marq, October 24, 2013, 12:41:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marq

"Behind you, Primo! WATCH OUT!"

Black Death

Fuck ...He caught the Shield

Oh I am down for this...looks good
"Asuka, gives you two thumbs up"

J-Reb

I thought that Captain America was by far the best of all the Avenger movies.  Looks like they hit another home run with the second edition.

Kirk

Quote from: Johnny Rebel on October 24, 2013, 01:08:17 PM
I thought that Captain America was by far the best of all the Avenger movies.  Looks like they hit another home run with the second edition.

Really?
" class="bbc_img

" class="bbc_img

J-Reb

Quote from: Kirk on October 24, 2013, 08:59:17 PM
Really?

I liked Iron-Man but the others were pitiful.  Hulk stunk and Thor was absolutely awful. 

Kirk

Fair enough. I didn't like the first one, but the trailer for this one looks much more interesting than Thor 2.
" class="bbc_img

" class="bbc_img

Jonny Worldbeater

Quote from: Johnny Rebel on October 24, 2013, 09:01:18 PM
I liked Iron-Man but the others were pitiful.  Hulk stunk and Thor was absolutely awful.

This is pretty much true. I mean, Iron Man was a great movie, and I did kind of enjoy Thor and Iron Man 2 even though the former was kind of fucking boring and the latter was just flat-out crap with some hilariously ridiculous ScaJo lucha moves thrown in. Didn't even bother watching Incredible Hulk.

The first Cap movie was pretty cheesy and dumb, but it was a fun ride that doesn't make you feel guilty about having fun with it.

Duckman

I still think they're missing a trick in not doing a Hulk movie.  The Avengers version was the best movie Hulk ever and, just like Wolverine, it never felt like they got him right in a stand alone movie.

I enjoyed the first Cap movie and this trailer looks promising.

I still think Iron Man is the best stand alone Marvel film they've done.  RDJnr killed it and as the starting point for all the rest of the movies, it set a really good tone.
Check out the MFX Podcast today!  http://www.marksforxcellence.com/?cat=1

Subscribe to MFX via Stitcher or Itunes.  Just search: Marks for Xcellence Podcast.

Marq

Quote from: Jonny Worldbeater on October 25, 2013, 07:19:49 AM
This is pretty much true. I mean, Iron Man was a great movie, and I did kind of enjoy Thor and Iron Man 2 even though the former was kind of fucking boring and the latter was just flat-out crap with some hilariously ridiculous ScaJo lucha moves thrown in. Didn't even bother watching Incredible Hulk.

The first Cap movie was pretty cheesy and dumb, but it was a fun ride that doesn't make you feel guilty about having fun with it.

I kind of think it was intentional, if I'm honest. There was definitely an innocence in that first movie that I think, had this been made a few decades earlier, would have fit right in with all the other movies from that time period. Good was good, evil was evil. What I like about this particular trailer is that Cap isn't freaked out by new-fangled technology or anything like that so much, but the values and mentality of American society today -- very telling.

As an aside, kudos to Evans for being a ripped, blonde-haired, blue-eyed pretty boy and pulling off a very believable portrayal of just a humble, down-to-earth, moral dude that an everyman can get behind. I've had my man-crush on Chris Evans ever since he took a turn as Johnny Storm, which made his casting as Steve even more intriguing to me. Glad he proved the haters wrong.

As for the other movies, "Incredible Hulk" was watchable -- I enjoyed it. But ILM really knocked it out the park visually (which is HUGELY important in a Hulk movie) in "Avengers," and Mark Ruffalo was just a joy to watch on screen.
"Behind you, Primo! WATCH OUT!"

Strike

Quote from: Marq on October 25, 2013, 11:12:58 AM
I kind of think it was intentional, if I'm honest. There was definitely an innocence in that first movie that I think, had this been made a few decades earlier, would have fit right in with all the other movies from that time period. Good was good, evil was evil. What I like about this particular trailer is that Cap isn't freaked out by new-fangled technology or anything like that so much, but the values and mentality of American society today -- very telling.

As an aside, kudos to Evans for being a ripped, blonde-haired, blue-eyed pretty boy and pulling off a very believable portrayal of just a humble, down-to-earth, moral dude that an everyman can get behind. I've had my man-crush on Chris Evans ever since he took a turn as Johnny Storm, which made his casting as Steve even more intriguing to me. Glad he proved the haters wrong.

As for the other movies, "Incredible Hulk" was watchable -- I enjoyed it. But ILM really knocked it out the park visually (which is HUGELY important in a Hulk movie) in "Avengers," and Mark Ruffalo was just a joy to watch on screen.

I'll daresay that Ruffalo nailed the role a lot more than Norton did...and to me, that's saying something, given I enjoyed the standalone Hulk movie they did a few years ago with Norton.

Also, Winter Soldier looks like it's going to be as fun of a ride as the first Captain America movie. Me gusta.

Jonny Worldbeater

Quote from: Marq on October 25, 2013, 11:12:58 AM

Oh, it seemed very much intentional. It felt very much in tone like a throwback to those kind of campy golden age comics of the 30's that spawned Captain America's character, and that's why I think it works so well and what makes it so much fun. It's got a bit of that kind of Indiana Jones, B-movie serials vibe to it.

In fact, it's probably a lot more like the kind of thing I would've wanted to see out of Man of Steel, because that kind of tone would've fit Superman's character much better than the whole dark, broody Dark Knight clone thing they went with which has never really been what Superman is about.

Crazy Kyd

I personally didn't like the first Captain America movie. It wasn't bad, as I enjoyed parts of it, but as a whole I felt the movie was not that great. I probably will wait for the second one to come out on DVD. But I will say Chris Evans has become a pretty good actor.

The first Iron Man is the best out of all the Marvel movies. I think Iron Man can be watched as a regular action movie and not just as a superhero movie, if that makes any sense. I think that is why it is the best. Besides Robert Downey Jr.'s incredible acting, of course.

And, I actually like the Hulk movie with Norton. At the time, I thought that movie was awesome. It was different.

Dorling

Quote from: Strike on October 25, 2013, 11:40:47 AM
I'll daresay that Ruffalo nailed the role a lot more than Norton did...and to me, that's saying something, given I enjoyed the standalone Hulk movie they did a few years ago with Norton.

I think the key difference is that Ruffalo wanted to play Bruce Banner and Norton was contractually obliged to do it, hence washing his hands of it as soon as he could. He did a fairly good job through professional pride I guess, but he wasn't at his best.

I have enjoyed most of the Marvel movies. I look at them as fun escapism. I'm not a massive comic book nerd but I enjoy the references to the comics that I pick up on, and I generally just disengage the critic within me and enjoy a bit of silly fun.

Anyone expecting anything more than that from a comic book movie is more often than not going to be disappointed.

Black Death

I seen every Captain America movie ever made and the one staring Evans was by far the  best one made.

this one looks like it going to be just as good ... For me it looks like it expending on the themes that was hinted at in the Avengers movie.  Cap is man from time with different values  where honored and now he has to live in a time  where those values are not cherish as they were before.
"Asuka, gives you two thumbs up"

LordsOfPain

Quote from: Johnny Rebel on October 24, 2013, 09:01:18 PM

With the Hulk, you can tell they obviously didn't want to get into the heady psychology of the original Ang Lee film and instead made one more in line with the Hulk television show. It was what it was and I appreciated it.

Also to co-sign...The Winter Soldier looks infinitely better than any of the standalone Marvel movies save for Iron Man and touches on what makes Cap an awesome character; he's the American ideal and not the BS, jingoistic Ultimate Cap.
Click to enter LPW