News:

Join our chat! - https://discord.gg/6vUfQnG

Main Menu

A little update

Started by Dorling, August 30, 2016, 01:02:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dorling

I just thought I'd drop a little update here, for anyone still stuck in the job they hate!

As most of you know, just over 2 years I left my office job and took on a role at sea, working for the Royal Fleet Auxiliary. My job involves working on vessels owned by the British Ministry of Defence; their role is to support the Royal Navy Fleet by supplying them with supplies and ammunition at sea. While I work for the MOD, I am a civilian, as the RFA has always been a civilian organisation - however, if I enter an active war zone, my status as a sponsored reservist will activate and I will become a member of the Navy.

My current role is that of a deck cadet - I'm training to be a deck officer, whereby I will work on the bridge, navigating the vessel safely and taking control of things such as point defence and ammo stock keeping. The cadetship is split into 5 phases.

Phases 1, 3 and 5 are at Nautical College, where I am studying for a Foundation Degree in Nautical Science and gaining the relevant professional qualifications that I require to do my job, such as medical first aid, maritime distress equipment and advanced firefighting (which was a great course).

Phases 2 and 4 are at sea, working on ship to complete my training manual and learn to my job.

I am now at phase 4. My Foundation Degree is all but complete (phase 5 will focus on my professional qualification oral exam) and I am guaranteed a distinction (smashed the last phase).

I am heading back to sea, for the first time since last October, on Saturday. I will be joining the RFA Lyme Bay (see below) in Bahrain, and operating in the Arabian Gulf for 4 months.

I am excited to get back to sea - I had a great time last year, spending 4 months in the Gulf operating out of Dubai and 3 months off the South coast of the UK doing training exercises with various Navies of the world (India, Netherlands, Germany, USA to name a few - and we got to play with submarines!)

Why am I telling you all this? Same as last time really - if you hate your job, change it! My life is unrecognisable from what it was in April 2014. I've fought fires, landed helicopters, been 'attacked' by fast attack craft, piloted the rescue boat, climbed up the side of the ship on the pilot ladder, learned how to navigate by the stars and, most importantly, had nearly 180 DAYS paid leave in just over 2 years.

You want change? Make it happen. You can do it. I did, and it was the best choice I ever made. Just need to get to this time next year, pass my orals and BOOM, a stripe on my shoulder and a 100% pay rise. Dreams!

Cheers all,

Dorling

Talon

Happy for you brother!  Good luck!

- 2nd Best Overall Player 2013
- Best Town Player 2013
- Best 3rd Party Player 2013
- Best Teammate 2013 (Black Lantern Crew)
- Most Improved 2013

- Best Mafia Game 2014 (Project X Mafia)
- 2nd Best Mafia Game 2014 (Supernatural Mafia)
- 3rd Best Mafia Mod 2014 (Project X & Supernatural)

- 2nd Best Mafia Game 2015 (The Shield Mafia)
- Best Mafia Mod 2015 (The Shield Mafia w/ Pancho)

- Best Mafia Game 2016 (Interstellar)
- Best Overall Player 2016
- Best Mafia Mod 2016
- Best Town Player 2016

Jon

Awesome work, Dorling! Cheers brother!

GM of the Queen City Conquerors

! JDM The Professional !

That is fantastic man. I'm proud of you! The best part is you've done it all yourself and made the changes to chase a new and exciting career. It sounds like a load of fun. Really happy for you!

How happy is the blameless vestal's lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot the eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! Each prayer accepted, and each wish resigned.

Quote from: Kise on February 29, 2012, 01:42:01 AM
Shake and bake, JDM! S-n-B!

!JDM'S Top Ten Movies of all Time!
1. Leon the Professional
2. American Beauty
3. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind
4. The Big Lebowskie
5. There will be blood
6. A Clockwork Orange
7. Once upon a time in the West
8. The Proposition
9. Reservoir Dogs
10. Taxi Driver

GM Franchise

Quote from: Trumpers on July 25, 2012, 01:46:54 PM
James, everytime you post in the OOC your perception of "yourself" is just as apparently off key 'in game' as GM Franchise as it is 'out of game' as yourself lol.
Quote from: Mike Powers on May 22, 2012, 06:44:25 PM
Now I know how Franchise feels every game.  Speak your mind and you get singled out for it.
Quote[Nov 30 21:22:23] Trumpers:you have literally assembled one of the worst teams possible

¿PapaPancho?

Cheers and go fuck yourself

- Love Pancho

P.S. Die!!

Knuckles

The Refreshing drink....

Doug E Fresh

As one who keeps up with Chris I can say he also drinks good beers regularly!

Justin

¿PapaPancho?

Quote from: Doug E Fresh on August 31, 2016, 08:25:17 AM
As one who keeps up with Chris I can say he also drinks good beers regularly!

Too bad he can't drink tequila like a real man!

Dorling

Quote from: ¿PapaPancho? on August 31, 2016, 08:45:13 PM
Too bad he can't drink tequila like a real man!

I love the stuff! Don't get to drink it very often. My gf hates it and some of my mates don't react well to it at all!

Dorling

Well, Bahrain was an interesting experience. Aside from a couple of interactions between the Iranians and a rather ill behaved warship in our convoy, I spent most of the time alongside as my ship was completely broken. As a result, I'm at home now and will be until Saturday when I fly out to....South Africa!

I'll be joining the RFA Gold Rover (see below) and going to cool places such as Rio and Valparaiso (Chile) and bringing the ship back to the UK at the end of my trip. It's worked out pretty well for me - this means I'll get all the sea time I need to complete my cadetship and I'll get it in time to have a 10 week break from work before I go back to college in May next year. Go Team Dorling!

Duckman

Great stuff Dorling.  Glad to read your living your dream still and getting to see the world!  Stay safe buddy.
Check out the MFX Podcast today!  http://www.marksforxcellence.com/?cat=1

Subscribe to MFX via Stitcher or Itunes.  Just search: Marks for Xcellence Podcast.

Knuckles

The Refreshing drink....

Doug E Fresh

Let me know which RSA beers are the best!