News:

Check out our Site Partners!

80s Mania WrestlingDaShawns2cents on FacebookThe Efed PodcastESPN Sports SimsEWCThe Indy CornerMFX PodcastOld School WrestlingSLTD WrestlingWhat A Maneuver!Wrestleview.comWrestling Mayhem Show

Main Menu

Top 10 of 2000-2009

Started by Zombie Gunn, December 31, 2009, 02:23:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zombie Gunn

Somewhat inspired by Tim's In Gob We Trust post.  What's your top 10 movies of the decade?

Honorable Mentions to Gladiator, Unbreakable, No Country for Old Men, Assassination of Jesse James, Children of Men, A Beautiful Mind, The Departed

10. Catch me if you can
I love a good heist movie, and the chemistry between Hanks and DiCaprio is amazing here.  I think both are extremely underrated (and that's saying something).  I'm sure the story was exaggerated for the movie, but damn... there were so many parts that had my jaw dropped at the boldness and smoothness that DiCaprio's character conned people.

9. Sin City
This one may be style over substance, but that's only because the style is so heavy.  The substance does hold its own and it's quite a compelling set of stories, but man... the look of this movie just has me in love with it.  I actually didn't see this movie until about 2 years ago, even though I used to know a guy that worked on it.  I don't tend to watch movies with nudity all that often, so I kinda procrastinated on it.

8. 28 Days Later
Everyone knows I love a good zombie movie, and this one is probably the best of the decade, narrowly edging out the Dawn of the Dead remake.  Too bad the sequel was full of suck.

7. Gran Torino
This is a movie I'm liking less everytime I watch it, but perhaps it's only meant to be watched once.  Initially I was overwhelmed with the connections between Clint's prior movies and the homage played to both William Munny and Harry Calaghan.  The acting by the supporting cast is pretty bad, but I'm so glad Clint made the movie to tie off all the loose ends.  (Though I still wish he'd star in another REAL Dirty Harry)

6. Transformers
I know, a lot of controversy over this.  The die-hard fanboys hate it because of Michael Bay.  Movie connoisseurs hate it because it's really shallow.  But it's also the movie that made me feel like a kid again and really got my kids into the whole superhero, giant robot genre.  And the fact that it's had such a big impact speaks volumes, I think.

5. Burn After Reading
Finally, the first real comedy of the list.  Start to finish, this movie had me laughing.  I'm still amazed that Brad Pitt agreed to be in a movie where he just gets shot in the head 3/4 of the way through for no reason.

4. Ocean's 11
Yep, a heist movie.  But it's THE heist movie of the decade, with an all-star cast.  I liked the sequels too, but they don't hold a candle to the first.

3. Dark Knight
I think everything that CAN be said about this movie has, and I don't feel like repeating it now.

2. Road to Perdition
Was searching around to find out what movies were made this decade, and I totally FORGOT about this movie.  It's one that had me thinking about it and pondering all the meanings to it for weeks after I had watched it.  In fact, I think I'm going to watch it again in the coming days.

1. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
This one would be one of my favorites of all time.  Unlike a lot of movies, you can actually FEEL what the characters are feeling just by watching it.  This is one that could have been really bad.  Just picture Jim Carrey as the Cable Guy in this role.  Or let M Night Shyamalan direct it for loads of intense twists.  Either way, I could easily see the movie being a disaster but instead it became a masterpiece.

Tim-Æ

Quote from: Zombie Gunn on December 31, 2009, 02:23:04 AM
Somewhat inspired by Tim's In Gob We Trust post.  What's your top 10 movies of the decade?

Honorable Mentions to Gladiator, Unbreakable, No Country for Old Men, Assassination of Jesse James, Children of Men, A Beautiful Mind, The Departed

10. Catch me if you can
I love a good heist movie, and the chemistry between Hanks and DiCaprio is amazing here.  I think both are extremely underrated (and that's saying something).  I'm sure the story was exaggerated for the movie, but damn... there were so many parts that had my jaw dropped at the boldness and smoothness that DiCaprio's character conned people.

9. Sin City
This one may be style over substance, but that's only because the style is so heavy.  The substance does hold its own and it's quite a compelling set of stories, but man... the look of this movie just has me in love with it.  I actually didn't see this movie until about 2 years ago, even though I used to know a guy that worked on it.  I don't tend to watch movies with nudity all that often, so I kinda procrastinated on it.

8. 28 Days Later
Everyone knows I love a good zombie movie, and this one is probably the best of the decade, narrowly edging out the Dawn of the Dead remake.  Too bad the sequel was full of suck.

7. Gran Torino
This is a movie I'm liking less everytime I watch it, but perhaps it's only meant to be watched once.  Initially I was overwhelmed with the connections between Clint's prior movies and the homage played to both William Munny and Harry Calaghan.  The acting by the supporting cast is pretty bad, but I'm so glad Clint made the movie to tie off all the loose ends.  (Though I still wish he'd star in another REAL Dirty Harry)

6. Transformers
I know, a lot of controversy over this.  The die-hard fanboys hate it because of Michael Bay.  Movie connoisseurs hate it because it's really shallow.  But it's also the movie that made me feel like a kid again and really got my kids into the whole superhero, giant robot genre.  And the fact that it's had such a big impact speaks volumes, I think.

5. Burn After Reading
Finally, the first real comedy of the list.  Start to finish, this movie had me laughing.  I'm still amazed that Brad Pitt agreed to be in a movie where he just gets shot in the head 3/4 of the way through for no reason.

4. Ocean's 11
Yep, a heist movie.  But it's THE heist movie of the decade, with an all-star cast.  I liked the sequels too, but they don't hold a candle to the first.

3. Dark Knight
I think everything that CAN be said about this movie has, and I don't feel like repeating it now.

2. Road to Perdition
Was searching around to find out what movies were made this decade, and I totally FORGOT about this movie.  It's one that had me thinking about it and pondering all the meanings to it for weeks after I had watched it.  In fact, I think I'm going to watch it again in the coming days.

1. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
This one would be one of my favorites of all time.  Unlike a lot of movies, you can actually FEEL what the characters are feeling just by watching it.  This is one that could have been really bad.  Just picture Jim Carrey as the Cable Guy in this role.  Or let M Night Shyamalan direct it for loads of intense twists.  Either way, I could easily see the movie being a disaster but instead it became a masterpiece.

Good list. I actually like all of those movies (even Transformers! it was the sequel that I hated).

One thing about Gran Torino though, I find it interesting that you like it less. I hated it the first time i saw it, and then liked it the second time more. Burn After Reading is great as well, I'm a coen bros fan to the core so it's good to see that on here.