News:

Check out our Site Partners!

80s Mania WrestlingDaShawns2cents on FacebookThe Efed PodcastESPN Sports SimsEWCThe Indy CornerMFX PodcastOld School WrestlingSLTD WrestlingWhat A Maneuver!Wrestleview.comWrestling Mayhem Show

Main Menu

Steelers vs. Cardinals - Super Bowl XLIII

Started by Logan Taylor, January 19, 2009, 01:50:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Logan Taylor

There used to be a saying here in Detroit when the Lions did shitty, which is pretty much as long as I can remember, and that was "At least we aren't the Cardinals."  Now we can no longer say that.

I gotta admit for a 9-7 team, the Cards look dominate and I am pulling for them to win it all. They just have a great team. Old man Warner is playing better than he ever has, Fitzgerald is dominate and needs to be put in to triple coverage to be contained which still leaves wide receivers like Boldin and even Breaston to choose from. The defense is pretty solid as well.

They definitely are a true Cinderella story.

jagilki

I can go either way (no, Honker, not in that sense, stop asking).  I've always kinda liked Pittsburgh but I like underdogs as well.

Cory

Steelers are going to fucking rape them, like Kobe Bryant on a music video whore.

SUBSCRIBE TO MY GAMING CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE

JohnS.

Quote from: Cory on January 19, 2009, 02:35:31 PM
Steelers are going to fucking rape them, like Kobe Bryant on a music video whore.

Quoted for truth...Fuck the Cardinals...and Fuck Larry Fitzgerald for not comin to Philly. FUCK ARIZONA!

Rebel Child

From Yahoo:

Not content to just have a screaming match with the offensive coordinator on the sidelines (which landed him on our list of five least valuable people of Championship Sunday), Anquan Boldin carried his hissy-fit to the Arizona Cardinals postgame celebration, too.

While most of the other Cardinals were still on the field being showered in confetti and picking up their NFC Championship trophy, Boldin had already bolted out of the locker room. The behavior prompted CBS's Mike Freeman to call him a naughty word.

He tried to ruin the Super Bowl celebration with his childishness.

In the game, Boldin got into a heated argument with offensive coordinator Todd Haley. After the game, instead of celebrating with his team, Boldin abruptly left the field, then abruptly left the locker room.

It was awful behavior.

[...] I have to say in nearly 20 years of doing this, I've never seen a player more concerned about his arguing with a coach over making a Super Bowl.

I just wonder if Boldin isn't costing himself some money here, too. He doesn't want to be a Cardinal anymore. I think he's made that pretty clear. But who's going to want to give a guy a huge contract when he's fighting with a coach when he should probably be happy about going to a Super Bowl?

Presumably, he's worried about his touches. Meanwhile, the team is going to the Super Bowl. Obviously, Boldin's placing a lot more importance on the former than the latter. Teams are on a character kick these days. It doesn't pay to be a selfish malcontent.

It's disappointing to see from Boldin. He showed such unbelievable selflessness and courage by coming back from a catastrophic injury earlier in the season. Maybe there's more to the story than I know, but looking at at it from the outside, I wouldn't have expected this from Boldin

Cory

Laura

The Superbowl...I love the Superbowl. I keep an eye on the whole build-up each year, but it's the only full game I ever watch. And it's always awesome.

And Cardinals to take it...cause one of my lecturers is from Pittsburgh...and she's a cu-
;D

Exile

First off, as a Pittsburgh fan and married to a Pittsburgh native...I'm very excited to see the Steelers in their 7th Superbowl. Note of interest, if Pittsburgh wins, they will be the winningest football team in the NFL ever with 6 Super Bowl wins.

That said, if you want to actually break down the game then do it rather just saying, oooh this is the best story. I like this cardinal team, Ive met Larry Fitzgerald a couple of times when he played at Pitt and he is one of the most genial genuine athletes Ive ever come across.

Now break down the teams.

Pittsburgh is sporting a defense which is stronger than their super bowl defense of two years ago. Why? Their secondary is one of the best in the league. They have a front four which constantly penetrate offensive lines always putting pressure on the quarterback. This forces QB's to have to make quick throws, but because of the stalwart play of the secondary Pittsburgh takes away that first option and generally the second. While you are trying to find the third you are already swarmed by two of the NFL sack leaders in Lamar Woodley and James Harrison. If you get a chance to throw that ball away, it had better be money because a well rested Troy Polamolu is a scary scary thing.

What does this mean for Arizona? Well its not good. Kurt Warner is great when he has a pocket to check his reads, but when pressured can be erratic and prone to making bad decisions. Warner has been helped out by the outstanding play of his wide receivers but Pittsburgh's secondary has done very well bottling up top playing wide receivers like Terrell Owens and randy moss.
A resurgent Arizona run game will quickly be shut down emphatically as well. They will play the game very much like they did against Baltimore. Dare Warner to make the throw, defend the pass, eliminate the run. Its why they are the best in the NFL.

Pittsburgh's offense will struggle slightly against the Arizona secondary, strong play by Rodgers Cromartie and Adrian Wilson have been the staple so far. But Arizona is still susceptible to the run and that's Pittsburgh's bread and butter. They will run the ball on first and second downs, create as many short yardage third down plays as they can and manage the game and the time clock. Rothlesberger has not had as pretty numbers as Warner has but hes done everything he needs to win games.

Finally, Arizona head coach Ken Wisenhut was the Steelers offensive coordinator during their last super bowl. He was passed over for the Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin and has a grudge right now about that. Does that give him an edge? Enh, not really. Dick LeBeau is one of the most brilliant defensive minds in the NFL...um...ever. He knows Wisenhut's tendency's and the Pittsburgh defense is more willing and able to flex and change than the Arizona offense in the two weeks prep time. 

Final Verdict?

Pittsburgh is the more balanced, prone, ready, willing, and rested team going into this game. They are virtually the same group that won the super bowl two years ago and are big game ready. Arizona has been playing fantastic football for the past 3 weeks toppling Atlanta, Carolina, and finally Philly. Its an amazing transformation for a team that was outscored almost 4-1 from thanksgiving until the playoffs starting. When the pressure is on, can Arizona beat back the tendencies that hurt them so badly before? Answer is no, not against this defense.

Final Score:

Pittsburgh 24 Arizona 13

Brandon

It's been proven more then once that you honestly CAN'T predict what's going to happen with The Cardinals this season. They weren't supposed to beat ANYONE, but they did, and they did it by more then a few points.

Exile

actually they were predicted to have a better than 9-7 record and to take their division with ease. They underacheived especially when you compare the first half of the regular season to the second half

Brandon

Quote from: Lemke on January 19, 2009, 08:40:15 PM
actually they were predicted to have a better than 9-7 record and to take their division with ease. They underacheived especially when you compare the first half of the regular season to the second half

I'm talking in terms of the play offs.

Exile

see but again, the only game that people doubted them was the panthers game. A LOT  of analysts were picking Arizona to win vs Atlanta and Philly including the audibly offensive crew.

Cory

Philly should have won, but now Joe Banner is pissed and will fuck shit up in the FA market (Eagles wise)

Cards have the easiest division in the NFL, and they SHOULD have the best offence in the NFC, with maybe the Cowboys being the only other team that can match up on paper.

But against the Steel Curtain, they're fucked.

Double G

Quote from: Cory on January 19, 2009, 09:00:19 PM
Philly should have won

QFT

Last year the Giants weren't supposed to be a match for the record setting Patriots team...we all know how that turned out.

Anything can happen.

But pressure on Warner will mess up the Card's offense for sure.

Ian "Wolfie" Trumps

Personally I see the NFC as the weaker of the two divisions by a long stretch I am not going off stats analysis here or recent Superbowls. Its just my impression. When a team as shitty as Chicago can bubmle their way to a fucking 9-7 record anyways you got to be asking questions.

I am pleased the Cardinals have gotten to the Superbowl, mostly because well to me I have much love for Kurt Warner as a former NFL Europe standout turned good when he was playing in Holland.

I see it like this. The Steelers have a mean ass pash rushing defence and Warner aint super mobile to be honest. Good job the Cards have a shit run game because frankly it would have got stuffed whatever the outcome. I love the fact the Cards have 3 1,000 yard receivers this season, but I dont think they have come up against a tough secondary like the Steelers before.

Big Ben might have had a sub par season, but I think the connection which will define this Superbowl is Hines Ward and Big Ben. I am prediciting a defense shutting down the Cardinals aerial attack. A shitty ground game between the two anyways and maybe one or two big plays from Ben to win it for Pittsy.

IAN PREDICTS:

Steelers 17 - Cardinals 6
'Check out MFX - www.mfxpodcast.com'