News:

Check out our Site Partners!

80s Mania WrestlingDaShawns2cents on FacebookThe Efed PodcastESPN Sports SimsEWCThe Indy CornerMFX PodcastOld School WrestlingSLTD WrestlingWhat A Maneuver!Wrestleview.comWrestling Mayhem Show

Main Menu

2011 Six Nations Rugby

Started by Duckman, February 05, 2011, 02:22:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duckman

My favourite tournament of my favourite sport is up and running and it's been a hell of an opening weekend!!

Results:

Wales 19 - 26 England
Italy 11 - 13 Ireland
France 34 - 21 Scotland

Loved the opening game between England and Wales.  The Welsh started really well but once England got going they showed their class.  A workman like performance from England with Toby Flood being the stand out player for me.  It's amazing how much he's improved and matured as a fly half in recent years.

Italy were SO unlucky not to beat Ireland.  They dominated in the pack and I never thought they had the skills in the backline to score a try from open play but they did just that.  The drop goal for Ireland to win was heartbreaking.  Also, what the fuck was up with Ireland's handling, they were dropping everything throughout.

France were awesome.  Some of the most slick, fast, dynamic and skillful rugby I've seen for a while.  Scotland were a credit to themselves I felt.  3 tries in Paris, some nice expansive play and if it wasn't for some unforced errors and terrible kicking out of hand by Southwell and Parks we could have made it even closer.  The French are the team to beat this year though, if they play like that!

Great opening weekend all round!!

Peace

Duckman
Check out the MFX Podcast today!  http://www.marksforxcellence.com/?cat=1

Subscribe to MFX via Stitcher or Itunes.  Just search: Marks for Xcellence Podcast.

FXBlade

The england/wales game had me on the edge of my seat...

Great result for us :)

3 home game advantage now, I want to see anyone take it off the english now

Rob.B

I've never been so relieved than when O'Gara's drop goal was on target. I thought Ireland were the better team throughout and should have won by a lot more but time after time failed to make their chances count. They're really going to have to step it up a gear if they want to stand a chance in the championship.

Kieran King

Quote from: Duckman on February 05, 2011, 02:22:55 PM
My favourite tournament of my favourite sport is up and running and it's been a hell of an opening weekend!!

Your favourite sport is rugby?

Two other people responded to this?

I know we've got some Australians here too, so I'm thinking we're going to have a blast come September when it's World Cup time.

I haven't seen any of these games yet, but I'm a little curious as to how France let Scotland score 21 points if they were playing as well as you described. They've pretty much been the bane of New Zealand's existence for the last couple of World Cups, so if they're playing like kings, then I'm just stoked we've finally got them in the pool stages instead of having to face them (and lose) in the knockouts.

Mike Storm

If only Australia put up their best side. Pretty much our up and coming 18-21 year olds that we think have the ability to play Internationally in coming years.

Saying that though, most of the big country's are doing this. World Cup this year is going to be sick. Bets on that New Zealand ends their bad run at the World Cup and win the whole thing in their country. It's only way they will able to.

BamBamBunglow

Being Welsh - I wanted to slap a fair share of people on friday. James Hook was the biggest one. I'm sorry, but when you're 40 yards away, there's 5 guys on the right and they're against three defenders, Kicking into space is fucking dumb. TWICE no less. Would say we played well, but we didn't.Jones and Hook on the field at the same time is retarded, Jones should start and Hook should come on when he flags. Also, having Ryan Jones on to start would've made a big, big help I feel - he was the only bastard trying to drive through. I said before the match that the backs were solid but the fronts were all over the place, and I was damned well right.

England played well, extremely methodical throughout - very patient, didn't crack when the defense was stubborn an used space well. Toby Flood deserved man of the match, he was absolutely blinding all match. They also did a brilliant job of control after the sinbin. They deserved to win by a much bigger margin to be honest (and my god it hurts to admit that).

Ireland need to stop dragging their asses. If it wasn't for O'Gara's golden foot they'd have lost against the worst team in the league. Time they really, really put the foot on the gas.

Scotland played bloody well, considering who they were against, and I'll give them credit where it's due. France, however, seem neigh on unstoppable. Only problem with France is their attitude on the day - they'll either come in with confidence and annihilate, or they'll come in half assed and play like they don't wanna be there.

On a related note - anyone running a game for the world cup? If not I'll throw something up closer to date. be interesting to see who people are behind.

Kieran King

Quote from: Jaime Stark on February 06, 2011, 04:19:46 PM
On a related note - anyone running a game for the world cup? If not I'll throw something up closer to date. be interesting to see who people are behind.

I was thinking of throwing something together myself. Don't know if it'd be a predictions thing, or if we could get enough people we could all get randomly assigned teams. Feel free to take the lead on that though, when the time comes.

Duckman

That sounds good to me guys.  Maybe a prediciton game or a fantasy team?  I'm sure there will be an official fantasy league for the World Cup and we could set up a EFK league for that.

Kieran - on the France thing.  They played very well in attack, not sure if you've seen any of the tries yet but you should check them out, very impressive.  The Scots actually brought the fight to them and were able to score a couple themselves.  Although the last try came when the game was as good as dead.

Jamie is right though, if the France that showed up against Australia in the Autumn in Paris appears during this tournament they will get their asses handed to them.  However if they can keep their heads and bring the kind of skill and intensity they did on Saturday then they'll walk this tournament and be a serious threat in the World Cup.

Peace

Duckman
Check out the MFX Podcast today!  http://www.marksforxcellence.com/?cat=1

Subscribe to MFX via Stitcher or Itunes.  Just search: Marks for Xcellence Podcast.

Rob.B

Second Weekend

Ireland 22-25 France
England 59-13 Italy
Scotland 6-24 Wales

I was at the Ireland match and we really should have beaten France, far too many defensive errors. At the moment I can see England winning the Six Nations although it all depends on how well they perform at the Aviva, Ireland away (or at home) hasn't exactly been a good fixture for them in recent years.

Rob

Ireland and France will be massive tests for us... We were extremely good against Italy, but as per usual they just played awfully. Their defense had more holes in it than an alter boy's pockets...
SixersEagles

[/center]

BamBamBunglow

Wales played a damned sight better, well chuffed with the lads.

England played pretty damned good, that's a scary score for the table!

Ireland were so, so close. a few less cockups and they'd have had it.

tbh I'm looking forward to England Vs. France, gonna be a pretty good game as things stands.