News:

Check out our Site Partners!

80s Mania WrestlingDaShawns2cents on FacebookThe Efed PodcastESPN Sports SimsEWCThe Indy CornerMFX PodcastOld School WrestlingSLTD WrestlingWhat A Maneuver!Wrestleview.comWrestling Mayhem Show

Main Menu

The last book you read?

Started by TaNK, July 13, 2008, 09:13:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank Douglas

Quote from: Heath Weston on September 26, 2011, 08:34:02 PM
Finished A Clash of Kings by George R.R. Martin. Loving the series. Watched the Game of Thrones TV series and decided to give the books a whirl. I'm not much of a fan in the way of fantasy novels, but this series is pretty damn good. Might make me rethink my stance on fantasy novels.

Yeah, George RR Martin is pretty damn good. I really liked what I've read of A Song of Ice and Fire series, (I finished A Storm of Swords) but, his style just kinda makes it hard for me to enjoy thoroughly. I hate the uber-over descriptive style of writing.

jagilki

HAS NOBODY ELSE READ A DANCE WITH DRAGONS?!?!?!

Gah, this is why I Lurk Westeros for ASOIAF stuff.

Gates

Not yet, Jag, making my way there.

As for his writing style, Frank, I enjoyed it. I enjoyed how each person's descriptions differed. Some were more detailed then others while others detailed other aspects that others wouldn't. It's interesting how he's written it. Then again, I'm a sucker fr a well painted picture by the author.

Frank Douglas

Quote from: jagilki on August 14, 2011, 07:53:46 PM

http://www.patrickrothfuss.com/content/index.asp

Highly recommend this one for Fantasy readers.

I'm reading it now, about 300 pages in (paperback)... I have to say, the book is incredible. The story is told in an awesome fashion, and I love the way the character Kvothe is portrayed. I have a feeling this trilogy could turn out to be one of my favorites of all time.

Sally Screw

AD&D's Deities and Demigods

I bought one at a flea market(minus the fleas) for $2.00 and sat down last week reading over the various Gods. As a former player of the AD&D game I was quite enthralled.

Rob.B

Since my last post I finished reading 'Summer Knight' and moved onto 'Death Masks' which I'm about tow thirds of the way through. First of all, Summer Knight was excellent. The storyline was really good and Butcher really fleshed out some of the characters that he introduced a couple of books ago and gave some more insight into Harry's past and the ending is fanatstic but I think Death Masks has topped it, so far, it's my favourite book in the series.

Black Death

Quote from: Reaper on October 12, 2011, 05:31:38 PM
Since my last post I finished reading 'Summer Knight' and moved onto 'Death Masks' which I'm about tow thirds of the way through. First of all, Summer Knight was excellent. The storyline was really good and Butcher really fleshed out some of the characters that he introduced a couple of books ago and gave some more insight into Harry's past and the ending is fanatstic but I think Death Masks has topped it, so far, it's my favourite book in the series.

Well glad you like  it... fav part in summer knight ... MEEP MEEP   lol  you know what I am talking about . 

well it get better ... after that is Dead Beat  it really starts to pick up ...

glad to find another convert
"Asuka, gives you two thumbs up"

Frank Douglas

Quote from: Black Death on October 12, 2011, 05:42:14 PM
Well glad you like  it... fav part in summer knight ... MEEP MEEP   lol  you know what I am talking about . 

well it get better ... after that is Dead Beat  it really starts to pick up ...

glad to find another convert

In all honestly, Dead Beat is my favorite book of the series. I loved the humor in Dead Beat, as well as how awesome the book was.

My favorite Dresden books are, in order:

1. Dead Beat
2. Small Favor
3. Proven Guilty

Also, I finished The Name of the Wind. Ho-ly. Shit. The book was incredible. I instantly ordered the next one, and I'm currently awaiting it. Honestly, it might be one of the best fantasy books I've ever read. Ever. Seriously.

jagilki

Quote from: Frank Douglas on October 12, 2011, 10:33:45 PM

Also, I finished The Name of the Wind. Ho-ly. Shit. The book was incredible. I instantly ordered the next one, and I'm currently awaiting it. Honestly, it might be one of the best fantasy books I've ever read. Ever. Seriously.

Once you read the second one, there's an awesome forum interview with the author over on Westeros.

Kennylz

I just finished reading "God, No!" by Penn Jillette. It was fucking hysterical. Next I'm moving on to some more Palahuniuk to hold me over until Double Dexter comes out next week.

Black Death

while just finish the World War Z by Max Brooks

damn I love this book , so well written ,  being that I am lover  of all things Zombie this was something that I should have read before.   better late than never. 

finally getting back to reading the song of ice and fire  series, yes jag , soon I will be able to talk to about it here,   Re-reading Game of Thrones right now. 

Rob.B

Quote from: Black Death on November 09, 2011, 04:08:04 PM
while just finish the World War Z by Max Brooks

Awesome book, definitely one of my favourites.

Rob.B

Just finished reading Blood Rites, it didn't start out that strong but as I kep reading, it kept getting better. There were some great moments and revalations in this book and while I don't think it's the strongest book in the series it still a damn good read.

Black Death

next up is Proven Guilty... the hits just keep on coming   trust me on that

Adam Wrong

'I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell' by Tucker Max

Basically the true stories of an asshole who shags a lot of women, gets drunk, vomits, shits and pisses himself and is generally a prick. Fucking brilliant stuff!