News:

Check out our Site Partners!

80s Mania WrestlingDaShawns2cents on FacebookThe Efed PodcastESPN Sports SimsEWCThe Indy CornerMFX PodcastOld School WrestlingSLTD WrestlingWhat A Maneuver!Wrestleview.comWrestling Mayhem Show

Main Menu

Lotsa MMA news today

Started by Nick, August 13, 2009, 06:58:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick

First on the list, according to Gorgeous George from a reliable source at MMAJunkie radio, Fedor Emiliankenko vs. Ricco Rodriguez is is in the works. I think this fucking sucks to be honest, and it's pissing me off that they aren't giving him Monsoon when the guy would match up with him well and is practically begging for a match.

Second, Nick Diaz is going to make his professional boxing debut real soon.

Quote(Cambria California, August 15, 2009) - Having been one of the few boxing promoters around today to have witnessed the great Sugar Ray Robinson fight live, it is no easy feat to impress Don "War-a-Week" Chargin. This hall-of-fame promoter has been touted by his peers as possibly being the best match-maker the boxing world has ever bore witness to. This is why it is with great intrigue that at the tail end of his long, illustrious career that Chargin would actively pursue what most would consider a long-shot proposal.

Nick Diaz is a fighter many have proclaimed as the "Arturo Gatti" of the MMA world. His bloodbath with Japan's best 155-pounder, Takanori Gomi was a perfect example as to why many fight fans following both mixed martial arts as well as boxing have labeled him as such. This six foot tall southpaw has waged war in virtually all of the major mixed martial arts promotional firms such as Strikeforce, UFC, Pride, WEC, IFL and the now defunct EliteXC. Diaz has openly touted his desire and willingness to step into the boxing ring to take on any fighter willing to match wits, skill, and bravery with the Stockton resident.

Don Chargin states, "I know the signing of a mixed martial arts fighter might be considered controversial by many boxing fans across the world. When the subject of mixed martial arts versus boxing arises, it always comes down to the boxer winning a boxing match easily and vice versa for MMA. However, after having seen the replays of Diaz's fights over the course of his career, I truly believe that this kid has what it takes to really make for some very entertaining fights within boxing. While some would state that he's merely a slugger possessing a good chin and a heavy work-rate, there's something about his rythm and fighting intelligence that really caught my eye."

Currently signed with mixed martial arts promotional firm, Strikeforce, it has allowed Nick the leeway to attempt to become the first athlete in the history of both sports to become a dual sport champion. This is something that would never have been remotely possible had Diaz been signed due to the UFC due to Dana White's reluctance to allow his fighters to participate within boxing.

Chargin continues, "I think the battle between the MMA world and the boxing world has reached it's boiling point and it's time to settle this inside the ring. Out of all the MMA fighters I've seen today, Nick is the only guy that I feel would truly put up a battle. Having been around from the era of Sugar Ray Robinson, Rocky Marciano, and other past greats, I can tell you right now that Nick Diaz is as tough as they come. He's also one of the few MMA guys that actually regularly puts in the gym work to improve his boxing IQ and I think it shows when he fights in the cage."

-Not to diss Diaz as I am a big fan, but I personally think this is a bad idea on his part. If KJ Noons, who has had a lackluster boxing career at best could take Diaz, then this probably isn't the best forum for him to be heading into. Some say it was the drop in weight that was a hindrance to Diaz in that bout, but I personally think Diaz got too cocky on his stand up and didn't rely enough on his excellent Jujitsu. The guy is on an awesome win streak right now that probably could've continued had he faced Heiron. If he's served a can, he'll come out of this debut alright, otherwise, forget about that rumored match up with Roy Jones Jr. In related news, Andrei Arlovski announced at the Chicago Comic Con that he will be going into pro boxing as well. Good luck glassjaw hairball. I tell ya, this dude needs to go back to competing in Sambo and take a break from anything that brings upon attacks on his fragile chin.

And finally, it looks like Randy is interested in testing Anderson. While I think grandpa would get picked off, that doesn't mean I don't want to see it. Big money in that fight, book it Joe.

Chad Dukes: Would you ever consider [dropping to light heavyweight] and facing [Silva]?

Randy Couture: Yeah, are you kidding? I think he's one of the best fighters in the world. Those are the kinds of guys I want to fight. That would be an interesting fight.

I think the guy with a wrestling background that can get their hands on him, tie him up and smother him is definitely a guy that's going to give him fits and make him have a rough night.

Chad Dukes: Wow, he's said he wants to fight more at 205lbs but doesn't want to fight Machida. Has that even been floated out to you? Is that something that's even been discussed by Dana or any of these guys?

Randy Couture: Ah, they certainly haven't approached me with it. I think the idea's been kicked around, but I don't know if it's being kicked around by the executives at Zuffa.

Cory

SUBSCRIBE TO MY GAMING CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE