News:

Join our chat! - https://discord.gg/6vUfQnG

Main Menu

The Official Test If You Can Post Topic

Started by Russ, February 06, 2011, 04:49:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duckman

Quote from: Cory on February 07, 2011, 08:07:35 PM
and I dont wanna come off as bitchy, as I imagine a lot of work goes into coding and all of that nerd BS for the boards, but could we at least have perhaps a vote to see what people like the best?

I personally liked the old skin way better

The problems run deeper than the skin mate.  Just sit tight and let us sort this all out.

Then people can bitch about the wall paper.

Peace

Duckman
Check out the MFX Podcast today!  http://www.marksforxcellence.com/?cat=1

Subscribe to MFX via Stitcher or Itunes.  Just search: Marks for Xcellence Podcast.

Gary

We should have clowns for the wall paper.

[/center]

Quote from: jagilki on October 11, 2011, 05:21:41 PM
Midas would chop off his Penis if he thought it would win him a Mafia game.

Alex Smiley

Why would we want your face plastered all over the forums? :P

Quote from: JackHondo on October 24, 2012, 07:31:28 AM
You're right, Jesus is nicer. But Alex is a close second.

Duckman

I guess the annoyance of my post didn't come through clear enough.

Peace

Duckman

Subscribe to MFX via Stitcher or Itunes.  Just search: Marks for Xcellence Podcast.

Gary

Better than having your "jokes" plastered over the forums and podcast.

And I was kidding Sambo, I hate clowns.

[/center]

Adam Wrong

Gary

[/center]

Triple B

Ok...

That should work now.  SB and Skin should be fine in all browsers.  If you can't post, post that you can't post here.

MWA HA HA!

Gary

[/center]

Judge

You're still whiter than this skin, Gary.

Gary

You know with all the issues that are happening, and I know the admins are a fan of the place, but maybe the problem itself is smf?

[/center]

Triple B

Quote from: Gary on February 09, 2011, 01:16:51 PM
You know with all the issues that are happening, and I know the admins are a fan of the place, but maybe the problem itself is smf?

DON'T YOU EVER SPEAK ILL OF SMF!!!

And that isn't the problem, either.

In a nutshell....

- The OLD (nneonneo) shoutbox we had was using up WAY too much resources on the server, mostly due to people sitting on it, camped out all day.  We get the most traffic of any of the e-fed resource sites out there, so it makes sense that we need the most resouces.

- Removing the shoutbox completely doesn't work, as it's evident that people enjoy it, use it, and want it.

- Putting in that old AJAX shoutbox did the trick, but the history was problematic, the sound was annoying, and it would give off odd "500" error messages regularly.

- The skin I switched us to worked great.  But, the nneonneo shoutbox took out a bug that HAD been fixed in the skin itself that didn't allow people with IE to post.  Apparently despite the fact he probably pays a Hungarian Orphan to type FOR him, Ian (and others) still use IE.

- This skin has no bug that would be taken out with the nneonneo shoutbox.  However, the nneonneo shoutbox no longer has "support" behind it, and was giving the same problems that took it out in the first place.  Lots of usage, odd background error messages, etc etc.

- This current shoutbox (pointed out to me by Blade, thanks Blade!) did NOT work in the other skin I used, which is why I switched to this one.  This is still allowing a shoutbox with a history, formatting, and profile access that LOOKS like it fits in the forums, doesn't give out the same error messages (for the moment, at least), and the skin matches up more with the main site.

WHY WAS THE MAIN SITE AND FORUMS REDESIGNED IN THE FIRST PLACE?

- Because the site was not being used as a place, but rather a portal (if that).  Now, your posts on the forums affect the main site, the main site will have more information available than before, is easier to read, and easier to update (the last one was a bitch to do anything with other than text). 

- The forums had a similar problem of the main page.  While some people liked it, the text was a tad small (for those of us with glasses or social security checks) to read properly, the color scheme was dark, and it didn't "match" the main site anymore (and not REALLY before either). 

That said, regardless of how much testing I did/do on my OWN server prior to moving ANYTHING here, there WILL be glitches.  I don't have a few hundred people visiting a test forum to see what a volume does, I don't have the same server as the EFK site does, etc etc.  So... when things like this pop up, it isn't because I enjoy not allowing Ian to post.

It's because I'm hoping AlexK has IE.

Gary

Well it has been running smoothly ever since Judge lowered the referesh rate.

[/center]

FXBlade

QuoteThis current shoutbox (pointed out to me by Blade, thanks Blade!) did NOT work in the other skin I used, which is why I switched to this one.  This is still allowing a shoutbox with a history, formatting, and profile access that LOOKS like it fits in the forums, doesn't give out the same error messages (for the moment, at least), and the skin matches up more with the main site.

I have been quiet recently because i really thought these problems were my fault.  I didnt have any problems with the SB on my own servers and thought i would recommend it here.  Then the problems happened.  it may not have been compatible with mods that were already installed, but on my own hosting and the last skin, i didnt have a problem.

I hope this SB is ok with everything, I know B uses it now at VWF, I just kept quiet because i thought i f'd up

Triple B

I never blamed you for that.  Not your fault that a mod went kerplunk.  I swore alot that night, but not directed at you.

If I didn;t like it, I wouldn't have tried and used it on The VWF too.