News:

Join our chat! - https://discord.gg/6vUfQnG

Main Menu

I am seeking some help

Started by Dylan Cage, July 26, 2008, 09:31:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dylan Cage

Alright, as some of you know, I was in a accident where I fucked up my leg pretty bad.  However it was a blessing I guess, because it has given me the chance to go to college, seeing how The military thing did not help me get a head in life.

So here is my problem.

I am interested in computers, so I have been looking into committing to a comuter related degree,  However I am interested into finding out what is the most benifitual(sp) computer degree out there,  I mean what will give me a job after I finish college?  Just looking for some info that you all might have.

Judge

Here's what I've learned from experience.

There's not much of a "I fix computers" degree.  You can get a degree in Computer Science, but that's mostly only useful as a programmer.

Most, if not all employers look for experience over degrees.  Computers and Networking are one of the only few skilsets that can't really be taught, you're either inherently good at it or you're not.  Some people pick up programming really well.  Some do network design really well.  Some are sysadmins.  Some are repair techs.

If you're going to do something, look for a community college having some sort of Associate Degree.  I have one in Computer Network Support Technology.  The course set was A+, Cisco, MSCE, Programming, Novell, etc.

It was a good generic thing.  From there, you can spring off in certs and get an entry level job somewhere with that AA degree and the certs that you have.

The Murph

I have friends who did various types of engineering degrees and it worked out for them. Though it does depend on your area and relocation possibilities.

TheNthDegree

Cisco Certified Network Admin (CCNA) isn't a bad course to get certified in. It's a 4 semester program. I did it in 2 in high school and got certified last summer. It's a GREAT thing to put on a resume.

Zombie Gunn

Don't go to a tech school.  There's already 20 million of us that can't get jobs, you won't get one either.

Dylan Cage

I am going to southern Miss,   I remember back in 1998 and 99 when I took CAD at a tech school  It didn't even help me out, and ofcourse neither did what my job was in the army helped me out.  I spent the last two years working on Gas turbines, which I never had any expirienced in,  So when I was in my car accident and laying in the hospital bed before I came back to e-wrestling because someone sent me and email and I always wanted to be in another one of her feds but thats besides the point.  I decided I was gonna go to college and get out of the back breaking work.