News:

Check out our Site Partners!

80s Mania WrestlingDaShawns2cents on FacebookThe Efed PodcastESPN Sports SimsEWCThe Indy CornerMFX PodcastOld School WrestlingSLTD WrestlingWhat A Maneuver!Wrestleview.comWrestling Mayhem Show

Main Menu

Help...

Started by Russ, July 29, 2008, 02:35:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Russ

Ok, me an another guy were having a discussion, and this question arose.

Can rps be set in the future and if any rp depicts your character away from the arena/away from the opponent, can that rp be used in a rebuttal by the opponent despite no presence of cameras?

So also... should rps be about wrestling or can they be about the character's feelings/out-of-character life/past/future?

He seems to think if there's no trashtalking/interview/discussion about the match then an RP cannot work and means nothing.

So what do you think?
Boss of the Experts, Hero of the TFWF and SCW, all-round giant bag of awesomness.

Zombie Gunn

I think it would work as long as you can give something for your opponent to use and reference. Even if its just insight into the personality of the character.

This is similar to the idea of roleplaying about a dream. The opponent can't say "I saw that dream you had" but he can say "I get the idea that scorpio fancies other men"

Russ

But the if the opponent gives a promo//trashtalk they are doing that promo about your character's on-screen personality unless it's like a letter to them out of character. So really, in this instance it can't be.

Scorpio: RP shows John's mental state to be unstable as he is losing his fiancee

Drake Daniels: Drake cuts a promo calling Scorpio a 'nutcase' despite the Scorpio character being as mentally stable as he always has been.
Boss of the Experts, Hero of the TFWF and SCW, all-round giant bag of awesomness.

T Jay

Well ultimately any character development in an RP doesn't really deal with an opponent. I think in todays efedding world if your RP'ing for a match you should mention something about your opponent. You can do whatever you want in an RP, how your opponent takes it is a totally different story though.

I was in a fed once where I had an opponent who didn't have a clue. I write T Jay's stuff in first person, and a lot of it is action or T Jay's thoughts. I made sure that everything he said was in quotations though. The opponent I was facing would write his RP's and react to T Jay's thoughts, it drove me nuts. I was like "Are you shitting me? They are his thoughts, yea your reading them but technically you wouldn't be hearing them so you can't react to them."

It should have went that he could only feed off of what T Jay said, or as Jesse said he could say something like "I get the feeling that T Jay.... blah blah blah"

So you can really write however you want, but your opponent is going to react to it in any way he wants even if it's not to your liking. But I personally don't think because an RP does not really mention an opponent it doesn't count.

Although, and yes this is a bit hypocritical, I think at some point you have to talk about your opponent or the match at some point. Lets say you write two RP's for a match, the first one could be story, history, whatever and not pertain to the opponent at all, but the second one probably should.

As for RP's written in the future, I don't know. I'd probably have to see one done to really get a sense of how it would go. I can't really picture it.

Kendell Smith

I gotta say it's a pet hate of mine going up against somebody who goes through your rp and basically turns it all into trash talk against you. I think it lacks creativity. I have no problem with trash talking in rps at all but not when they're basically taking the opponents rp and using it against them. I find it irritating if you write a character development style roleplay and your opponent writes and rp calling you out on things that where said in description and not dialogue. No originality, no creativity. I agree with T-Jay though, I like when rps reference the opponent and the match in some shape or form helps both opponents play off each other in my opinion.

T Jay

I'm hoping the days of just basic trash talking are fading from efedding. This game has grown so much since the early days of "I'm gonna whoop your ass!"... It's so much more creative these days. I have to admit I'm a sucker for RP's that don't have much of the basic trash talk. I mean obviously you have to say something like that in one way or another, but I think being creative about it makes you a better RP'er.

Honestly the idea of a real wrestling promo is mainly entertainment, but if you look past wrestling being... *cough* Fake *cough* then a promo would be used to mentally defeat your opponent and get inside their head. In efedding I think if you write an RP with that in mind, trying to get inside your opponents head and defeat them mentally then you are a great writer. If you just come out and say "Your garbage, and I'm going to whoop your ass!" then maybe your just a decent RP'er.

Russ

I agree with both of you; I once set a trap for someone who I know just goes through rps and does the opposite of whatever insult you say (but he was as thick as anything... ie stupid)

Me: I think you'll find your derogotarry misdemeanour does not affecet me in the slightest. I am infact, impervious to your insults

Him: And as for being imperfect or whatever you said about my insults, I always knew you were a pervert...

Ahh... noobpwning is a learned art

Zombie Gunn

Yes, indeed. One day, I will teach it to you Russ.

Russ

>:(

Im good at pwning DAMMIT I AM!!!!

*explodes*

Duckman

In my opinion if you don't mention, the opponent, the fed, the show the match will be on and any angles that are on-going involving both characters it's not an Efedding RP.

It's something we've covered a lot on the Knights Show but there's a major difference between being a good creative writer and being a good efedder.

The main thing to keep in mind is these guys we're playing are wrestlers.  If I can't tell from your RP that your a wrestler and you have a wrestling match coming up, you're doing something wrong.

Now, dream sequences and sureal stuff are all well and good, but if that's all you do, I'd view that as no selling your opponent.  As has already been said, you can't read your opponents mind so they need to SAY something for you to reply to.

Another thing a lot of people forget in efedding these days is that some of this stuff has to be on camera and on TV, otherwise the FANS of the show won't know what is going on.

That's why efedding is a difficult skill for people to master.  You want to be fancy and you want to maybe take a step forward creativly, but you've GOT to keep it grounded in wrestling and in the 'world' of the fed you are in, it's a fine line to walk.

That's my take on it.

Peace

Duckman
Check out the MFX Podcast today!  http://www.marksforxcellence.com/?cat=1

Subscribe to MFX via Stitcher or Itunes.  Just search: Marks for Xcellence Podcast.