News:

Check out our Site Partners!

80s Mania WrestlingDaShawns2cents on FacebookThe Efed PodcastESPN Sports SimsEWCThe Indy CornerMFX PodcastOld School WrestlingSLTD WrestlingWhat A Maneuver!Wrestleview.comWrestling Mayhem Show

Main Menu

the "intelligent discussion"

Started by Tim-Æ, August 10, 2008, 04:29:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim-Æ

I don't believe in God. I think religion was a good idea that imploded when people took it too seriously.

What do you think?

Rebel Child

I think that religion in it's most basest of forms is beautiful.

The people who usually practice it, aren't, and they use scriptures ot prove their points, and to twist things.

I don't believe in God, though I am agnostic.. I believe something is there - but what? I'm not entirely too certain.

Black Death

I not going to shit on anyone and there beliefs ...because it can give you hope whan times are tough , But I look to the bible as gidelines and nothing else.  God... could be what we made up to feel not so alone ,  everyone needs someone to give them a sense of worth ,   but carlin said it best

George Carlin: Religion has actually convinced people that there's an invisible man, living in the sky who watches everything you do every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of 10 things he does not want you to do. And if you do any of these 10 things, he has a special place full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever till the end of time... But he *loves you*.  

oh he needs money...always need money... he can creat the universe , but he can not mange his finances
"Asuka, gives you two thumbs up"

Smash INC

I believe...

...that there is a higher power.
...that organised religion is a con.

Zombie Gunn

I don't see how the failure of a specific religion or its people, or religion in general has any bearing on whether God exists.

Excaligore

Things are just how they are. Existence is the most illogical thing ever.

There probably is no God. There's no singular omnipotent intelligently dictating force in the world or universe. Nature is dictated by a series of endless competition, extinction, and proliferation. Endlessly repeating formulas clashing with each other to generate slight variations. Like a math equation that never ends. No equal sign. Life is just life. Entirely inexplicable.

Religion is a way to avoid the truth in how inexplicable the world really is. Science will always fail because it's beyond human scope. I personally will side with Science though since it's based on investigation rather then speculation.

Black Death

jesse ...god could exist or not... but it up to the person , and  there hearts , if they believe  I have no problem , it the people that use god to hurt other people that what I hate ... use it justify hate and violence
"Asuka, gives you two thumbs up"

Zombie Gunn

That's what I'm saying.  People say there is no God because X happened or because Joe did "blah" in the name of God.  I'm saying that Joe is a freakin idiot and God still exists.

Cory

I don't go to church, I do believe in god, but I don't believe in religion.

There was a guy that may have died for our sins, but the rest was blown out of proportion. Like the Carlin quote, if god was real, he wouldn't need money.

I hope there is an afterlife, I kinda don't want to just sit in the ground and chill, but I'm a realist, and thats what happens. Focus less on religion and more on being remembered.

SUBSCRIBE TO MY GAMING CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE

Rob

I don't really believe in a religion. The only I respect are Christianity, partially and Buddhism.
SixersEagles

[/center]

Duckman

Faith is a wonderful thing for many people.  I don't feel it so I can't describe or say I don't believe/respect it.  Whatever helps people get through life without being a shit to everyone else is cool with me.

The fact that for thousands of years the faith system have been manipulated by people for their own means, usually money, power and control, says more about the inherant evil in man that it does about God or religion.

Those who allow the opinions of others to mould their own are weak.  If they believe in their faith, they don't need a minister or a rabbi or a priest to remind them and send money too.

In my view, faith should be a singular thing, between you and whatever it is you chose to believe in, be it God, family, music whatever.

It's when control, fear, profit and power comes into it that we all suffer.

Remember, much of this is born out of our need to understand how we came to be here but a lot of it is born out of fear when we needed comfort or something to explain when bad things happened or when the good times came around.  These events in the eyes of early man were too terrible, too amazing or too complex to comprehend, so God must have done them.

It's just down the years the message has been hijacked.

Faith is awesome.  Organised faith is just another control measure for the masses.

Peace

Duckman
Check out the MFX Podcast today!  http://www.marksforxcellence.com/?cat=1

Subscribe to MFX via Stitcher or Itunes.  Just search: Marks for Xcellence Podcast.

Big Gay Honker

I believe in God, I believe in Jesus.  I don't believe in the bible, the church, or a good portion of Christians.  I am sure the bible holds some truths, but I also feel it was written by man to control man.  It's not about who puts the most in the offering tray, who dresses the nicest, who throws the first stone at the single teenage mother.  We're here to love and help one another.  To make this world flourish.  To create the next generation.  Right now we're not doing a good job of this, and prolly wont in our lifetime. 

Brandon

I believe in a greater power.
I believe that something or someone has some sort of plan for us all.

However;
I believe that organized religion (basically religion today) is the exact opposite of what religion was originally intended to be.

I also think sometimes; If there really is a God, and he's supposed to be all loving etc. Then how can he sit back, watch, and do nothing when our world is in the shape it's in. How can he sit back and watch people kill one another in a war that's bringing us nothing. Does he not care?

Jack Kaiser

Quote from: Black Death on August 10, 2008, 04:41:52 PM
George Carlin: Religion has actually convinced people that there's an invisible man, living in the sky who watches everything you do every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of 10 things he does not want you to do. And if you do any of these 10 things, he has a special place full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever till the end of time... But he *loves you*.   

You should watch the History of the World: Part 1.  Apparently there were 15 commandments.  It's a real eye opener.

Quote from: Brandon Watkins on August 10, 2008, 07:13:14 PM
I also think sometimes; If there really is a God, and he's supposed to be all loving etc. Then how can he sit back, watch, and do nothing when our world is in the shape it's in. How can he sit back and watch people kill one another in a war that's bringing us nothing. Does he not care?

Maybe he's like one of those parents that believes it's better to let their kids learn from their own mistakes.  Too bad we never do.

TaNK

I believe in god, jesus and everything the bible tells me.

Am I perfect? I'm a sinner not a saint but I believe God knows my heart. No I am not perfect, but I dont push it on anybody nor will I ever. I believe fully in my own personal faith and I believe through god anything is possible.