News:

Join our chat! - https://discord.gg/6vUfQnG

Main Menu

Ethics of Spam

Started by Zombie Gunn, July 15, 2010, 02:42:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zombie Gunn

10 years ago, I wouldn't have even given this a 2nd thought. But as the communities mature, so do methods of recruitment.

We can all agree that spamming an efed's board with your site is wrong (and potentially ineffective) but what's everyones thoughts on advertising on the forum of a closed efed?

Rob

Ethically, from the fed-heads point of view, he's not doing much wrong to be fair. He's recruiting from a site that he knows is dead, so the odds are the person he's contacting may not have a fed yet (depending on time between closure and PM)

But in my opinion, I don't like people coming to me through emails and PMs unless I specifically ask for it.
SixersEagles

[/center]

Hyde

I had the impression that everyone grew out of unsolicited recruiting at least five years ago.

Maybe I'm wrong... maybe that's what I should be doing!

Draeden

I wouldn't, Hyde lol

Posting on a dead fed's forum is fair game I suppose, not exactly poaching. Going through the roster's email addresses and emailing/PMing them all is turbogay tho.

Nice avatar Rob :D

Matthew Patterson

I don't think it's wrong really, but I honestly wouldn't join a fed that has to be that desperate.

Rob

Basically, a good fed won't need to do a lot of recruiting because good feds (VWF, TFWF, PWR, SCW, G-2 etc) naturally attract members.
SixersEagles

[/center]

Gates

Quote from: Draeden Darksky on July 15, 2010, 03:37:43 PM

Posting on a dead fed's forum is fair game I suppose, not exactly poaching. Going through the roster's email addresses and emailing/PMing them all is turbogay tho.

This.

If you're posting on a dead feds board, there is a good chance you won't get replies anyways, so it's not like they're losing or gaining much.

Hurricane Jeff

No one is gonna leave a fed that they enjoy to join a fed of someone that they never heard of before and has no reputation. The Past year, APW has gotten more members than ever, and I did it without recruiting. It was done with getting APW's name out there with the community like EFK, CWC, Roughkut, Kapow.

Adam Wrong

if somebody pmed me or approached me without me advertising myself i wouldn't call them a cunt if they specifically want me to look at their fed for a reason ie a match idea etc but if i get a random spam pm say hey join my fed and be jeff jarret and win the worl title in your first match then I frown but never abuse the guy as they are damaging their reputation enough themselves. People should have faith that their roster these days wont be the fickle type to flock to the next shiny thing. MOST people are after a fed with longevity

Alex Smiley

Quote from: Hurricane Jeff on July 15, 2010, 08:12:29 PM
No one is gonna leave a fed that they enjoy to join a fed of someone that they never heard of before and has no reputation. The Past year, APW has gotten more members than ever, and I did it without recruiting. It was done with getting APW's name out there with the community like EFK, CWC, Roughkut, Kapow.

(slow clap)

It's a funny thing, recruitment. You always feel like it's working, but it doesn't more than half the time. Of course, some dead feds' boards are almost completely closed off anyway (heck, I disabled account registration and made most of the boards invisible to guests on my old fed, lol)

Quote from: JackHondo on October 24, 2012, 07:31:28 AM
You're right, Jesus is nicer. But Alex is a close second.

Rob

To be honest the majority of invites I get are emails from RoughKut.com because my thing says "exploring options" at the moment. Haven't been too bothered about changing it because I use it as a way to check out efeds anyway, but I don't think I've received any invitations from dead-efeds for a long time now, so I'm guessing within this community of efeds it is a rare thing either way.
SixersEagles

[/center]

Triple B

Posting an ad for your fed on a dead fed's forums is like putting your TV commercial on the Community Bulletin Board channel at 4 am.  You MIGHT get a person or two to see it, but they're probably so high they won't know how to get there.

It's pointless.
Check out the MFX Podcast today!  http://www.marksforxcellence.com/?cat=1

Subscribe to MFX via Stitcher or Itunes.  Just search: Marks for Xcellence Podcast.