News:

Check out our Site Partners!

80s Mania WrestlingDaShawns2cents on FacebookThe Efed PodcastESPN Sports SimsEWCThe Indy CornerMFX PodcastOld School WrestlingSLTD WrestlingWhat A Maneuver!Wrestleview.comWrestling Mayhem Show

Main Menu

Thoughts on tomorrow

Started by Ian "Wolfie" Trumps, September 10, 2008, 03:13:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian "Wolfie" Trumps

I was reading a blog by Boyd on rk.com today which was very good to be honest on the feelings surrounding 9/11. I guess it made me think a lot about how important fate is in life. In the summer of 2001 I was just finished University, degree in hand and ready for my first proper job I guess. For those unaware I have kind of a love affair with the States and have always been trying to find ways to move back there.

In 2001 I was accepted on a project called The Mount Baton project which gave English people a chance to work for an American organization in New Yorks Twin Towers. To me it would have been perfect becase I got to go back to the States for another year and there was always a small chance of impressing enough to get a permanent job out there.

What stopped me was I got offered a management scheme for a major retail outlet in the UK beating out 65 other people for one of the 6 positions availble...and it didnt pay bad for a kid fresh out of University. With mounting debts I had to pay off I turned down the 'pipe dream' and 'shit pay' for the security of a major step up the ladder in the UK. I had a feeling of regret all of August about the decision and not following my heart...instead selling out I felt.

My first day on the job in the UK was September 10th 2001, most the day I faked enthusiasm feeling I had missed an opportunity no matter how much I would have been living hand to mouth out there to have a shot at the dream. After day one we all hit the bar at the hotel and knocked back the beers. By the next days afternoon we were informed of the tragedy that had happened in the Twin Towers in New York City. I dont speak much about my decision to stay in the UK and not persue working in the States were I would have been out there when disaster struck, probably because I know to a lot of people they have lost loved ones or people they know somehow and the blind luck of decision I employed isnt really as relevant.

But it does make me very thank ful and despite being an asshole, I do believe in something out there watching over us, maybe even guiding the decisions we make to an extent.

Three years ago, I was in New Orleans 5 weeks before Katrina struck, deciding against an August holiday because it would be cheaper for me to go in July.

I am not a real sentimental type of guy, but for those out there who lost someone on 9/11 my thoughts are with you.
'Check out MFX - www.mfxpodcast.com'