England's provisional 30 man squad for World Cup

Started by Duckman, May 11, 2010, 12:19:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob

Heskey is simply the worst ever.

I went to see England's 5-1 win over Croatia. And even in that game, Heskey was abysmal. Whenever he got the ball he either passed it to opposition or fell over. That's all he's done for Villa this season. He's been overrated his entire career and does not deserve to represent his country in any sport except for pie eating or the international purple dinosaur impression league.
SixersEagles

[/center]

Rob

For the record the squad at the moment is just fine. Warnock has been brilliant for Villa this season. He's earned his place. I feel he has become the second best left back in the country, considering our first has decided not to come. Cole did look good against Pompey yesterday though, he was winning the ball and he was making a lot of darts down the wing, that's what our full backs need to be doing.

Here's the team I'd pick. Bearing in mind I'd go for 4-3-1-2

GK - Joe Hart. He has been absolutely gold for Birmingham this season. Deserves to be a first choice over 2 keepers who have let in a vast amount of goals this season.

DL - Stephen Warnock. Villa have done very well this season and it's due partly down to their English players (considering most of them ARE English). Warnock would be my pick over Cole, but I think Cole could be a very effective, tactical substitute.

DR - Glen Johnson. He has done very well for Liverpool this season, despite how shocking the rest of the team have been. He's another that can make runs down the wing to support the two other wing players.

DC - Michael Dawson. He has been truly great this season for Spurs, based on how he's defended his goal, he deserves to be in the first team.

DC - John Terry. You can't leave this guy out. He's quite obviously one of the best centre backs in the world.

MC - Frank Lampard OR Steven Gerrard. You'll see why I say one or the other in MC in a moment, I just think if neither of these guys can play together in the centre of midfield, then change the position of one of them. They can both work equally well in an AMC position.

MC - Scott Parker. Sensational season for West Ham. He's the player that has kept them up this year. I think with him holding the central midfield, England will lose the ball a lot less.

MC - James Milner. Despite the fact he's more well known for his wing play nowadays, I'd sooner see him in central midfield. He's tenacious, he gets the ball and dictates play, where ever he is on the pitch.

AMC - Steven Gerrard OR Frank Lampard. It's been proven this season, they both are spectacular in a more advanced role in midfield. Both have scored a tonne of goals this season. And I think Darren Bent could really benefit from having an AMC to supply him.

FC - Wayne Rooney. Enough said.

FC - Darren Bent. I think he's done amazing at Sunderland this season in a team that really don't know how to supply the ball. He is definitely a goalscorer and should be in any England first XI.

In a 4-4-2 formation though, I'd pick

Hart
Warnock
Dawson
Terry
Johnson
Milner
Lampard
Parker
Lennon
Bent
Rooney
SixersEagles

[/center]

Duckman

Final Squad:

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart (Manchester City), David James (Portsmouth), Robert Green (West Ham).

Defenders: Jamie Carragher (Liverpool), Ashley Cole (Chelsea), Rio Ferdinand (Manchester United), Glen Johnson (Liverpool), Ledley King (Tottenham), John Terry (Chelsea), Matthew Upson (West Ham), Stephen Warnock (Aston Villa).

Midfielders: Gareth Barry (Manchester City), Michael Carrick (Manchester United), Joe Cole (Chelsea), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), Aaron Lennon (Tottenham), James Milner (Aston Villa), Shaun Wright-Phillips (Manchester City).

Forwards: Peter Crouch (Tottenham), Jermain Defoe (Tottenham), Emile Heskey (Aston Villa), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United).

So Walcott is the headline grabbing ommision but to be honest he's been pretty poor for the last few months and looked terrible in the 2 warm up games.

Scott Parker isn't a world class footballer by any stretch of the imagination, same with Baines and Huddleston. 

Adam Johnson will be a star for years to come for England so this isn't a huge deal for him - he can go back to Man City and cement his first team place. 

Darren Bent doesn't score against good teams so I can see why he's been left out, plus he looks incredibly nervous and out of his depth while playing for England - however I'd have left out Heskey and taken Bent just for the fact he could nick the all important goal against Algeria.

The big mistake is Upson over Dawson.  Dawson should be in that squad, in fact he should be in the first team.  He's fitter than Rio and in better form than Terry.  Upson is utterly shite.  Did nothing for West Ham this year and another guy who shits his pants any time the ball comes near him when playing for England.

So, thoughts on the final squad?

Peace

Duckman
Check out the MFX Podcast today!  http://www.marksforxcellence.com/?cat=1

Subscribe to MFX via Stitcher or Itunes.  Just search: Marks for Xcellence Podcast.

Jennifer

Quote[Today at 04:03:49 PM] Speedy: Urgh.
[Today at 04:03:53 PM] Speedy: Upson in front of Dawson.
[Today at 04:03:56 PM] Speedy: Go diaf Capello.

>>

That has pissed me off a lot. Daws was consistently good at the end of the season, he's CERTAINLY better than Upson and he's actually fit. You're picking on fitness and form, eh Capello? Fuck off.

Walcott I don't rate at all, especially after being shite in our friendlies, so I think that's a good call.

Andy Johnson isn't ready yet.

Parker and Huddlestone were pretty much as expected, particularly because Huddlestone stuffed his 'audition' against Japan up. Baines was pretty unremarkable so that's not a surprise. All three are good calls.

Bent, meh. Saw it coming. This fascination Capello has with Heskey was always going to win out, but all the same I rate Bent higher. He might not score against the best, but Heskey barely plays for his club...

Quote from: Mike Flips"Certainly officer...but first, we have two men here trespassing. Also I was assaulted moments ago by a man who might have had a sister I might have had sex with. Can we please arrest said man for Disturbing The Peace-opoly or something..."

Ian "Wolfie" Trumps

Capello didnt read my selection on EFK.com and just lost the World Cup for England...thats my fucking thoughts.
'Check out MFX - www.mfxpodcast.com'

Rob

Parker should've gone I think.

Walcott and Baines didn't deserve to go based on the friendlies though.

Only problem I have is with Heskey
SixersEagles

[/center]