News:

Check out our Site Partners!

80s Mania WrestlingDaShawns2cents on FacebookThe Efed PodcastESPN Sports SimsEWCThe Indy CornerMFX PodcastOld School WrestlingSLTD WrestlingWhat A Maneuver!Wrestleview.comWrestling Mayhem Show

Main Menu

Best Literature Quotes

Started by Rae, July 14, 2008, 11:49:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rae

What are some quotes from books or poetry that stuck with you, or that you love?

"The world is full of obvious things which nobody by any chance ever observes."

That's from The Hound of Baskervilles By: Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. His writing has some of the best lines, and I love his stories.

Kenfucius

I can think of loads, but they all come from that most maligned of medium, the graphic novel.

I'll debate whether they're worth posting (and which is most worthy) and get back to you.

Rae

POST IT! I love graphic novels, unless its Manga

Kenfucius

Manga? Nay.

I'm a Vertigo fanatic, All about Hellblazer, Lucifer, and other things

Bonus points if you can name the avvie I've got.

Rae

Spider Jerusalem from Transmetropolitan. Warren Ellis is awesome

Drama Queen

I will have to look up the exact phrasing again, but Dumbledor's quote about chosing what's right or what's convenient always makes much more of an inpression on me than the usual "right and wrong" (from the Harry Potter books obviously)

JaceGryphon

"A wizard is never late, nor early.  He arrives exactly when he means to."

~Gandalf the Grey, Lord of the Rings

Tim-Æ

"You can never erase all the fuck-yous in the world"

Holden Caufield, The Catcher in the Rye

Kenfucius

A summation from the Lucifer series about the nature of the devil, which, I suppose, is a microcosm for what I consider to be the many and various flaws about religious theory and acceptable Christian belief.

"They used to call the Devil the Father of Lies. But for someone whose sin is meant to be pride, you'd think that lying would leave something of a sour taste... So my theory is that when the Devil wants something from you, he doesn't lie at all.

"He tells the exact, literal truth, and lets you find your own way to Hell."

TaNK

From the "Sin City" books.

"Most people think Marv is crazy. He just had the rotten luck of being born in the wrong century. He'd be right at home on some ancient battlefield swinging an axe into somebody's face. Or in a Roman arena, taking his sword to other gladiators like him. They would've tossed him girls like Nancy back then. " -Dwight

"I'm on my feet for about ten minutes before the cops kick them out from under me. They don't ask me any questions. They just keep knocking the crap out of me and waving a confession in my face. And I keep spitting blood all over it and laughing at how many fresh copies they come up with. Then along comes this worm assistant district attorney who turns the recorder off and says if I don't sign their confession, they'll kill my mom. I break his arm in three places and I sign it." -Marv

"Patrick Henry Roark. A man of the cloth. Could've become president but chose to serve God, and along the way just happened to become one of the most powerful men in the state. He's brought down mayors and govenors like they were nothin'. Even made his rotten brother a US senator. And now here he's gonna die in the name of a dead hooker. More and more I like the sound of it. " -Marv

"The night is hot as hell. I'm in a lousy room in a lousy part of a lousy town. I'm staring at a goddess, she's telling me she wants me. I'm not going to waste one more second wondering how I've gotten so lucky...She smells like angels oughta smell. The perfect woman. The goddess. " -Marv

Duckman

One that I remember from studying the book in school (but which I had to look up to get exactly right):

"The conquest of the earth, which mostly means the taking it away from those who have a different complexion or slightly flatter noses than ourselves, is not a pretty thing when you look into it too much." - Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness.

There's a few more from the book The Yiddish Policemens Union which I'll list when I get home and check the book again!

Peace

Duckman
Check out the MFX Podcast today!  http://www.marksforxcellence.com/?cat=1

Subscribe to MFX via Stitcher or Itunes.  Just search: Marks for Xcellence Podcast.

TheNthDegree

"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows."
- 1984 by George Orwell. Beautiful book, meaningful book.

"Dave, I apologize for any inconvenience I might have caused you ... but it was for the greater good."
- 2001: A Space Odyssey by Arthur C Clarke

Rae

Alice: "But I don't want to go among mad people."
The Cat: "Oh, you can't help that. We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

- Alice in Wonderland, Lewis Carroll

Kendell Smith

"I see the strongest and the smartest men who have ever lived... and these men are pumping gas and waiting tables." - Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

TaNK

Oh Man.. Fight Club. I've never read the book itself, just seen this movie and it had one of my favorite quotes ever. I hope this is ini the book.. If not, I apologize.

"Man, I see in Fight Club the strongest and smartest people who've ever lived. I see all this potential, and I see squandering. Damn it, an entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables; slaves with white collars. Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need. We're the middle children of history, man. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our great war is a spiritual war... Our great depression is our lives. We've been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars. But we won't. And, we're slowly learning that fact. And, we're very very pissed off. "