News:

Join our chat! - https://discord.gg/6vUfQnG

Main Menu

Best concerts you have gone to

Started by Dave Johnson, July 15, 2008, 07:20:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Johnson

Well whats your all time favourite concert you have ever gone to?

Mine would be Parkway Drive so far, but Mainstream wise I would have to go with Metallica, they were freaking awesome.

The Rick

I have two that rank as the best, first was Evanescence a few years ago. They had two support acts, the second of which was Seether who had recorded a duet with Amy Lee called Broken for the Punisher soundtrack. Me and my mate Butcher kept saying how awesome it would be if Amy Lee joined them on stage to sing it but that there was no chance as Evanescence was the headline band and she'd only perform with them. Seether started singing Broken, and suddenly the crowd went nuts as Amy Lee walked out and sang it with them. Awesome!

More recently, I went to see Matchbox Twenty. My friend Kate and I are the only people out of our group of friends that like them or have even heard of them if I'm honest. A few years back they toured the UK and really wanted to go but at the time me and Kate didn't know that the other was a fan until I had a bit of a party at my house and I was playing the CD. They'd already done the tour at this point so we'd missed them and then they parted ways for a bit while doing their own projects. As soon as they got back together and announced a tour of the UK I booked us tickets and it was fantastic. They probably did it every night but at our show after they'd finished playing Disease Rob Thomas picked up his mic stand and propped it across his shoulders then proceeded to hit one of the cymbals with it. He broke the guard surrounding the drums and it had to be rebuilt. It was more than likely staged, but still cool. It was certainly worth waiting all those years to finally get to see them live. At the time I considered getting tickets to one of their other concerts but couldn't afford it otherwise there was a 99.9% chance of me going to see them again just days later.

JaceGryphon

I've got a few that were really good.

The last (third) time I saw Toby Keith, it was after he just TOTALLY blew up on the scene.  Just plain a high-energy kick-ass show.

The first time I saw Keith Urban.  It was a free concert the local radio station put on, and it was right before he blew up on the scene.  After the show the night before, he came down to the show we were at, while his band went on to their next show.  He played his full set solo and acoustic.  Just...plain...fucking...amazing.

To be honest, the first time I saw Rascal Flatts, I wasn't impressed at all.  It was at the same concert as the previous Keith Urban show I just mentioned, and was also the same day I saw Toby Keith for the first time.  They had been on radio less than a month, and had an ego like they'd been around for twenty years, juts really turned me off.  But then they got big and I saw them again and there was no more ego, just a kick-ass show.

Flyleaf put on one hell of a show too.  Their music (unlike alot of artists I've seen) sounded EXACTLY like the CD.  High energy, the band members were all over that stage...literally.  The bassist climbed the stack of speakers six feet above the stage and jumped off....mid-song...didn't miss a note.  Just amazing.

Tim-Æ

Well it's a toss up. There's really only 3 concerts that make it difficult to judge.

1. Tool in Wichita July of 02. It was insane, and it made me officially a huge fan. "The Patient" live is amazing.

2. Radiohead in St. Louis May of 2008. I missed the first few songs, but saw an amazing rendition of Idioteque, Banger's & Mash, and of course my personal favorite "Fake Plastic Trees."

3. Tool in Tulsa  November of 2007. Nothing particularly amazing about the visuals (I'd seen them all before) but the sound was crisp and the band was in tune with each other so well that it blew away all of the other times I'd seen them. Plus I was with a very beautiful CHRISTIAN girl, that made it even more amazing. I think she enjoyed it more than I did which is awesome.

STP was amazing too, as well as Cake, Andy McKee, and Incubus.

Duckman

1:  The White Stripes at SECC in Glasgow during the Elephant album tour, 2004 I think.  Drunk as hell, stoned out my brains with my brother and two mates.  Crushed in right in the centre of the crowd near the front.  Stunningly good show, amazing sound and some fantastic banter between Jack and the Glasgow crowd.  Some wanker through a shoe at him and it hit him right in the face as he started singing 'I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself."  The guy ran off through the crowd with about 20 people chasing him.  Jack stumbles back and everyone thinks, "oh shit, they're going to walk off," instead he starts up this really heavy and rocking riff while screaming "what an asshole, what a fucking asshole, who the fuck would throw their show at me?"  The place went nuts then he broke into Black Math and the place exploded!  Best moment I've ever seen.

2:  Oasis live at Hampden Park in Glasgow 2005.  First ever stadium gig and it was just insane.  60,000 people, brilliant sound system and light show and Oasis were just on fire.  My all time favourite band growing up and the first time I'd seen them doing their own gig (saw them in 2000 at Leeds festival).  I'll never forget that night.

3:  Ocean Colour Scene at SECC in Glasgow, 1999.  First gig I'd been too.  Took my brother as his 16th birthday present.  We had a fantastic time and when we came back he asked me to teach him how to play guitar.  He's now been playing since then and is much, much better than me!

Peace

Duckman
Check out the MFX Podcast today!  http://www.marksforxcellence.com/?cat=1

Subscribe to MFX via Stitcher or Itunes.  Just search: Marks for Xcellence Podcast.

TaNK

Kid Rock in Tulsa, Oklahoma.

Totally badass. I became a huge fan after this, he brought out Hank Williams Jr and they did "Country Boy Can Survive". There was hot chicks in the crowd, one flashed me and I got her number but never called her back. It was just incredibly badass.

T Jay

Red Hot Chili Peppers was definitely a good show. If your a fan of them and haven't been to a concert check it out.

If your going country, Brad Paisley is a great one.

Kendell Smith

Rage Against the Machine at Oxegen in Ireland about 3 weeks ago.

The Verve, same place same time as above.

Linkin Park, RDS arena Dublin in June 08.... QOTSA supporting, they just blew me away better than I'd expected.