News:

Check out our Site Partners!

80s Mania WrestlingDaShawns2cents on FacebookThe Efed PodcastESPN Sports SimsEWCThe Indy CornerMFX PodcastOld School WrestlingSLTD WrestlingWhat A Maneuver!Wrestleview.comWrestling Mayhem Show

Main Menu

Goal-line technology...is a go!

Started by Strike, July 05, 2012, 01:49:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Strike

Cory

SUBSCRIBE TO MY GAMING CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE

Rob.B

Considering the fact we've already had the technology for years, this is long overdue.

Drama Queen

Personnally I think post-match "did he dive?" technology followed by 10 game suspensions is way more urgent.

Jerry McClean

Quote from: Drama Queen on July 05, 2012, 06:46:37 PM
Personnally I think post-match "did he dive?" technology followed by 10 game suspensions is way more urgent.

And would you differentiate between diving and going down easily?

Drama Queen

Quote from: Jerry McClean on July 07, 2012, 02:39:59 PM
And would you differentiate between diving and going down easily?

Well I would probably be being very unrealistic and naive to try and bring the game back to a time when players didn't go down deliberately even when they were fowled. So yeah, taking it in baby steps yeah I would differentiate because firstly even with video playback going down easily is a lot more up for interpretation than actual diving. If a fowl was committed, it would be easier to pick up I think. A player who rolls around clutching himself after the slightest tap on the ankle should be completely ashamed of himself, but you cannot look at a video and say as a complete irrevocable fact that he is over-acting. So yeah baby steps.

To get back on topic, eliminating diving is a bigger issue to me than a missed goal. Refereeing decisions were always supposed to be a part of the game anyway. Watching someone who makes that much money though, rolling around and crying in a way that I would expect better from my nine year old kid even if he did get a knock, is quite frankly embarrassing and the fact that it has become such a part of the game that we just roll our eyes and accept it, is infuriating. Players should at least be accountable after a game for blatant diving.

FXBlade

If this is the go ahead...

What do we have to bitch about?

Jerry McClean

Quote from: Drama Queen on July 07, 2012, 03:10:22 PM
Well I would probably be being very unrealistic and naive to try and bring the game back to a time when players didn't go down deliberately even when they were fowled. So yeah, taking it in baby steps yeah I would differentiate because firstly even with video playback going down easily is a lot more up for interpretation than actual diving. If a fowl was committed, it would be easier to pick up I think. A player who rolls around clutching himself after the slightest tap on the ankle should be completely ashamed of himself, but you cannot look at a video and say as a complete irrevocable fact that he is over-acting. So yeah baby steps.

To get back on topic, eliminating diving is a bigger issue to me than a missed goal. Refereeing decisions were always supposed to be a part of the game anyway. Watching someone who makes that much money though, rolling around and crying in a way that I would expect better from my nine year old kid even if he did get a knock, is quite frankly embarrassing and the fact that it has become such a part of the game that we just roll our eyes and accept it, is infuriating. Players should at least be accountable after a game for blatant diving.

See this is the issue.

You have players going down with no contact. We all agree this is cheating.

Then you have players going down easily when obstructed because they won't get a freekick unless they go down--even if they COULD carry on.

Then in the middle you have people who hang their legs there in the hope someone will catch them etc.

I think that's what makes it hard to police.