Nevada State Athletic Commission Ban TRT

Started by Flins., February 27, 2014, 03:55:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flins.

Huge news just out, effective immediately. Going to have some major implications on a portion of the UFC roster. Looking forward to seeing Dana flip his shit at this.

QuoteBREAKING: Nevada State Athletic Commission Votes Unanimously to Ban Testosterone Replacement Therapy

The Nevada State Athletic Commission on Thursday set a new course for the controversy over therapeutic use exemptions for testosterone replacement therapy for mixed martial artists.

The NSAC voted unanimously to ban applications for TUEs for testosterone replacement therapy, effective immediately.

Any athlete that applies for a license to fight, whether boxing, kickboxing, or mixed martial arts, will now be unable to even apply for an exemption. If said athlete has a TUE from any other state, the commission will not recognize it..

Quote taken from MMA Weekly: http://www.mmaweekly.com/breaking-nevada-state-athletic-commission-votes-unanimously-to-ban-testosterone-replacement-therapy

Jon

"We follow Nevada," UFC president Dana White told ESPN.com via text message. "It's a great day for the sport. I applaud the NSAC. TRT needed to go away."

GM of the Queen City Conquerors

Flins.

Wow... was not expecting that response from Dana, who up to this point has defended its use.

Duckman

And Vitor is out of the fight with Weidman - there's a shock.

He did say he's going to fight off TRT but isn't going to apply for a licence to fight in the NSAC. 

This is the best thing they could have done for the sport.  Cage fighters should not be on TRT.  If you don't have high levels of testosterone, for whatever reason, cage fighting isn't a smart career choice.

Plus the system was open to so much abuse.  There's no doubt guys were jacking up during their camps and then getting down to 'acceptable' levels before the fight.

It's not going to stop drug cheats but it at least gets rid of something that definitely made it an uneven playing field.
Check out the MFX Podcast today!  http://www.marksforxcellence.com/?cat=1

Subscribe to MFX via Stitcher or Itunes.  Just search: Marks for Xcellence Podcast.

Cory

Belfort pulling out tho was terrible news....now I have ZERO interest in that title fight.

SUBSCRIBE TO MY GAMING CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE

Flins.

Really? I prefer the Machida/Weidman match up. Though I think I find the prospect of Jacare vs. Weidman more intriguing.

Gravedigger

How do they do the testing? Is it like the NFL and MLB where they use a testosterone ratio when testing? I think MLB allows something like 4 times as much testosterone to other hormones, so it makes you wonder how some of these guys get caught. They must seriously be doping. So if the Nevada Athletic Commission has a similar testing procedure, these guys can dope and still pass the test, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Jon

Quote from: Flins. on February 28, 2014, 02:21:32 PM
Really? I prefer the Machida/Weidman match up. Though I think I find the prospect of Jacare vs. Weidman more intriguing.

QFT

IMO, Weidman was going to tear up Belfort. Wasn't excited for that fight at all.

I love the Machida/Weidman match-up.

Cory

Eh, toss it up that Machida and Weidman are my two least favourite fighters in the UFC.

Jon

Why don't you like them?

Weidman is a beast.

Flins.

He battered a living legend in successive fights, it is an easy to make you a hated man. Just like Jones for manhandling Shogun and making him tap to strikes, and Bigfoot for blasting Fedor. Weidman's not the most charismatic of guys either, but then neither is Cain, and he seems the kinda guy who can do no wrong in the MMA community.

From what I've seen on MMA forums, the hate for Machida is mostly due to his tactics and style of fighting. He's very technical, but he's patient with his combinations which frustrate some people. His fight with Phil Davis frustrated me, I thought he won, but if he'd just upped the pressure and tempo, he would've won convincingly.

Cory

Ive hated Machida since day 1.....a lot of the earlier posts here in the MMA boards was me bashing Machida....unbelievably boring fighter in my opinion....his knockouts are great but his style and patience is garbage. Id rather watch paint dry. Add in the fact that when he beat Shogun the first time was the most awful decision ive seen.... so I went to UFC 113 live just to boo the fuck out of the dude and watch Shogun KO'd him, will go down as one of the greatest moments in my life.

Weidman is hard to describe. Im not a Anderson Silva fan by any means....he won me $100 when he debuted and murdered Leben....but after the Leites fight, I wasnt a fan. I think for Weidman, for a dude who obviously caught Silva while he was fucking around (no fault of his own I mind you) and then the leg thing in the second fight, I havent been impressed with his finishes and being Canadian his super american thing too doesnt do anything for me.

The TeeJ of Philly

Quote from: Cory on February 28, 2014, 07:00:17 PM
Ive hated Machida since day 1.....a lot of the earlier posts here in the MMA boards was me bashing Machida....unbelievably boring fighter in my opinion....his knockouts are great but his style and patience is garbage. Id rather watch paint dry. Add in the fact that when he beat Shogun the first time was the most awful decision ive seen.... so I went to UFC 113 live just to boo the fuck out of the dude and watch Shogun KO'd him, will go down as one of the greatest moments in my life.

Weidman is hard to describe. Im not a Anderson Silva fan by any means....he won me $100 when he debuted and murdered Leben....but after the Leites fight, I wasnt a fan. I think for Weidman, for a dude who obviously caught Silva while he was fucking around (no fault of his own I mind you) and then the leg thing in the second fight, I havent been impressed with his finishes and being Canadian his super american thing too doesnt do anything for me.

USA! USA! USA! USA!

Purostyle

I'm a bit confused, wasn't Machida supposed to be out until the end of 2014?
BUSHIDO FIGHTING CHAMPIONSHIP
http://bushido.boards.net/

Flins.

It will most likey've been a pending medical suspension.