NFL Debate #51: Expanded Playoffs

Started by Cory, June 06, 2014, 12:29:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon

Quote from: T-Flower on June 08, 2014, 05:57:26 PM
The player's have been against extending the season though, which expanded playoffs would require. They have a long enough schedule as it is, the format is fine the way it is.

It's not extending the season...

It's adding a team into the playoffs. Meaning one less team gets a first round bye.

GM of the Queen City Conquerors

The TeeJ of Philly

Quote from: T-Flower on June 08, 2014, 05:57:26 PM
The player's have been against extending the season though, which expanded playoffs would require. They have a long enough schedule as it is, the format is fine the way it is.

No, it wouldn't require it.

16 games. 2 v 7, 3 v 6, and 4 v 5 would all take place on wildcard weekend.

Krazy

My defense is the following having the brackets expanded will and more cash plus more TV air time. You have CBS, FOX, and NFL network. Adding four more teams will help those four teams cash wise. I know that people will say teams that are 7-9 making the playoffs however you had Arizona at 10-6, and Dallas/Chicago at 8-8 in the NFC. In the AFC it as Jets, Miami, Pittsburgh, and, Baltimore 8-8. There will be tie breakers for the NFC and AFC teams.

Mike Powers

It takes away from the achievement of making the playoffs. I was against the MLB playoffs expanding too. You want to be a playoff team? Win 10+ games and you don't have anything to worry about.

The TeeJ of Philly

Quote from: Mike Powers on June 08, 2014, 08:44:32 PM
It takes away from the achievement of making the playoffs. I was against the MLB playoffs expanding too. You want to be a playoff team? Win 10+ games and you don't have anything to worry about.

the 2013 Arizona Cardinals, 2012 Bears, 2010 Bucs and 2010 Giants all disagree with you.

Jennifer

Having playoffs is already taking away from the achievements of teams in-season... throwing even more teams into the mix is a little unfair on sides that have actually performed to a consistently good level over the course of a season... that's kind of the point of a league system.

Quote from: Mike Flips"Certainly officer...but first, we have two men here trespassing. Also I was assaulted moments ago by a man who might have had a sister I might have had sex with. Can we please arrest said man for Disturbing The Peace-opoly or something..."

Krazy

Quote from: Mike Powers on June 08, 2014, 08:44:32 PM

I know some years their has been some sub-pair teams. However the NFL has been growing in improvements. I know many people are all for the bye in one round however what other American sport has bye nope just the NFL. Need to see the improvement of the sport is needed. I am all for removing a preseason game or just having games on NFL network. It is all in the profits for the teams and the networks.

Mike Powers

You'd be increasing the percentage of teams making the playoffs to 43% from 37% (for comparison, NBA/NHL - 53%, MLB - 33%). At 43%, we are ridiculously close to half of the teams making the postseason. I hate it. Leave it alone.

Mike Powers

Quote from: Jack Benevolence on June 09, 2014, 12:52:04 AM
I'd prefer to keep the playoffs as they are. I believe it needs to be a rare privilege for a team to make the playoffs, not a 50-50 shot.

For teams like the 2013 Cardinals that I believe were a great team, I compare to MMA fighters that lose via decision. Sure, you can have it all and deserve it, but you should have finished earlier if you wanted to win.

Personally, I love it when a team is in 'playoff mode' at week 10. It's lame when a team has clinched and still has a month worth of games left. It should be rare ground to be in the playoffs. Every playoff birth should be special and magical and a big deal.

I'd be open to them changing how teams qualify (like just having best overall record or reformatting divisions some how), but adding more teams just makes the season and the concept of earning a spot less meaningful in my opinion.

Only one team gets to win the Super Bowl. That means making the playoffs is, for many teams, the victory that matters. Adding more teams to the playoffs just makes that victory less meaningful in my opinion.

*high five*

Justin

The best way to fix the playoffs...

The 6 teams with the best record in each conference make it.

Mike Powers

I can see that argument, I really can. I just think it takes away too much from winning your division.

Justin

Quote from: Mike Powers on June 09, 2014, 03:12:38 PM
I can see that argument, I really can. I just think it takes away too much from winning your division.

It works for the NBA, granted they have more playoff spots.  However, that's why you get rid of the divisions.  Let's be honest, the real reason behind divisions is to help create "rivalries" to boost revenue.

Mike Powers

"It works for the NBA..."; If more than half of your teams make the playoffs, you're doing the playoffs wrong.

Justin

Quote from: Mike Powers on June 09, 2014, 05:07:20 PM
"It works for the NBA..."; If more than half of your teams make the playoffs, you're doing the playoffs wrong.

True, but the point is the top records make the playoffs.

Mike Powers