NFL Debate #70: Is RG3 Still a viable QB in the NFL?

Started by Cory, December 18, 2014, 04:11:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cory

SUBSCRIBE TO MY GAMING CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE

The TeeJ of Philly

Cory, the fact you said the Eagles are a team suited for him, I should have the fucking fan police revoke your fandom card.

T-Bonizzle

Nah, injuries have ruined his career. He's one type of quaterback but his body won't allow him to be the type of quarterback he's been his entire career.

Cory

I think he's done in Washington and not many teams if any will trade for him...because a lot like "top" QB from college Marcus Mariota....they need the right type of offense and coach to excel...as hes not a prototypical pocket passer like QB's of the yester-year.

The more the league transitions to the dual threat QB, the more its about the scheme they play to enhance their attributes rather a coach trying to mold the QB into their own agenda.

Washington is a tough place for RG3 because to have a player like RG3 who A) Can be mobile and with the double edged sword B) Injury prone  you need at least a top 8 offensive line and I would rank Washingtons offensive line near the bottom of the league with no bright spots outside Trent Williams.

As an Eagle fan that ship still hasn't sailed on Nick Foles YET....hes 14-4 as a starter as well as 40 TD to 14 INTs.....that's pretty remarkable but Philly IMO is the only team (Seattle is but they got Wilson, San Fran is but with Harbaugh on the way out it might change) that guys like RG3 and Mariota could work in.

Philly has an outstanding offensive line who must rate top 5 in most circles when healthy, Chip runs an offense that is not only QB friendly (case in point Mark Sanchez) but similar to what RG3 ran with Baylor, Chip takes care of his players (as were seeing with not rushing Foles back) which is something RG3 needs.

Philly needs a QB that can help Shady and Chip by bringing a legitimate threat that defenses need to worry about with the read option...something we've never had under Chip. Chip has been praising RG3 all week and I believe I saw an article saying Chip tried to scout Rg3 to Oregon. I think Chip hasn't had a chance to get "his QB" yet....he inherited Foles from Andy Reids tenure, and got Sanchez purely for backup role and I think tossed a floater in on Matt Barkley in the 4th round of the draft simply because he had 1st overall talent a year previous + Pac 12 ties.

I would love to bring RG3 in at the right price and have him and Foles compete next season. That way there Foles needs to produce like he did last year or else we'll go with option B, and in the same turn if RG3 isn't the same player he was his rookie year and cant run the read-option or within Chips system we got him for very little and have Foles to take the reigns again, with him being a backup as we're going to lose Sanchez this off-season and Barkley is HORRIBLE. This may be bias as I was a huge fan of the body of work he did at Baylor in his Heisman year, but if Washington can take our trash in DeSean, we can take their trash in RG3.

Cory

Quote from: The TeeJ of Philly on December 18, 2014, 04:19:19 PM
Cory, the fact you said the Eagles are a team suited for him, I should have the fucking fan police revoke your fandom card.

There comes a time when you get tired of being 2 years away from being 2 years away (re: Bruno Caboclo) and settling. RG3 is a risk that if he's on the free agency market im willing to take a bet on. Chip made Sanchez serviceable, whats the risk taking a once elite athlete and seeing if we can salvage anything?

Theres no QBs in the draft that can get us there unless teams realize Mariota is a system QB that no QB starved team is remotely close to being, and free agency the only QB's that bring a skill set that could run Chips offense is MAYBE the more injury prone Jake Locker.

I wouldnt trade for RG3, but if/once Washington cuts ties there's little to no risk. We'll have a QB spot available with Sanchez hitting the open market. RG3 seemingly hates Washington and thats a guy I'd want on my roster.

The TeeJ of Philly

Jack hit it on the head. He's not worth the roster spot on this team let alone any money he gets. Cory, you called him a "once-elite athlete", that means he's no longer an elite athlete and no longer a serviceable QB to this Eagles system, even with the sports science, it's not worth it.

We're more than two years away simply because of the defense, no matter the QB we have.

On to the topic, I think a team like Tennessee, New York, Tampa, which ever doesn't get Winston/Mariota will end up going after RG3

Jon

First, Mariota is no system QB. The dude can make all the throws. He reminds me so much of Russell Wilson, but a better IMO passer and runner, it's not even funny. Whether that translates to the NFL, maybe.

As for RGIII... I'm still not sure he has had the right amount of time for his injury to heal. I still feel like they forced him back a little bit. And that whole team is a mess, not just RGIII. I think a new team might just suit him well. He still has a good arm, but it's clear his mobility (which made him such a huge threat his rookie season) has diminished. He's more likely to be a guy that is on and off the injury list then someone who can become an elite QB... but I think he lands somewhere and has himself a respectable career.

GM of the Queen City Conquerors

Justin

He can still be a good quarterback in thr NFL but he will need to get out of Washington.

Gravedigger

Little too early to bury RGIII. He might not attain the promise his rookie year showed, but he's got plenty of time to try. What he needs to do is get as healthy as possible to get back his athleticism. He doesn't need to run as much as pre-injury, but he needs his mobility to be fully effective.