News:

Join our chat! - https://discord.gg/6vUfQnG

Main Menu

Started by ., June 10, 2009, 01:25:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marq

If you want an epic "superhero" yarn that has a beginning, middle, and end, pick up "Rising Stars" by J. Michael Straczynski. I hate calling it a "superhero" book, because it isn't (like "Watchmen"), but it's thrilling, poignant, and truly timeless.

I love it THAT much.

Incidentally, I'm 99.9% convinced that the tone, imagery, and even some characters were lifted from this very series to develop "Heroes" (y'know, back when it was good). There are only three volumes that span the entire story (so it'll be good to your wallet), but it really is amazing -- a well-crafted story with a ton of awesome characters. Here's the "prologue" that got me into the story based on the idea alone:

This is the story of how we came to be. Of what happened to us and to those we knew and loved and fought.

Where it went right... and where it went wrong.

Sixty years.

One-hundred and thirteen people born with the power.

The story of the world we touched. And all the places where the world touched us.

And the terror and the beauty and the death that happened in the spaces in-between.

You can't beat that. Get "Born in Fire," the first volume -- NOW! Fellow "Rising Stars" fans, back me up, god dammit!
"Behind you, Primo! WATCH OUT!"

The Murph

Quote from: Speedy on June 17, 2009, 09:45:53 AM
Battle Royale Manga > Battle Royale Book > Battle Royale film.

The film is shite compared to the other two versions of it on offer. It's just straight up slasher, which I guess is alright if you're into that kind of thing, but it's still not a patch on how much more you get in the book and the manga.

I wouldn't really call it a slasher as they do build a story in it, and most slashers are basically non sensical who dies next movies. I will agree the book and magna are better, but they have the platform to be that. Hard to fit everything into a single film and the movie runs 2 hrs uncut as it is. But I would definitely not call it shit and I'm sure theirs others who agree with me there.

Back on topic. The Walking Dead is a great series of books. It's a bout a group of people who survive a massive attack of zombies and continue to survive as they try to destroy the zombies. It's a fun series and is well written. You would have to start from the beginning though to understand each character, but definitely a good read.

Ryan Ruckus

This topic SO depends on what you're into. There's standard superhero fare (Spider-Man, Green Lantern, etc.); There's fourth-wall-breaking superhero fare (Astro City, Rising Stars, Watchmen); There's gritty crime stuff; There's fantasy/goth stuff.

Some of my favorites though:
Watchmen
Y the Last Man
100 Bullets
Sandman
Preacher
Hellblazer
Strangers in Paradise
and of course, my all time fav: Transmetropolitan

I think, when it comes to comics, following an author you like > following a hero you like.

Check out stuff by Kurt Busiek,  J. Michael Straczynski, Joss Whedon, Alan Moore, Warren Ellis, Frank Miller, Neil Gaiman, and Grant Morrison