News:

Join our chat! - https://discord.gg/6vUfQnG

Main Menu

Top Non-Superhero Graphic Novels

Started by Marq, August 18, 2008, 03:45:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marq

The Walking Dead: I don't think it's coincidence that this book came out post-Max Brooks. Fun, disgusting, dramatic zombie stuff, plus it's the next logical step 'til we get a full-on zombie apocalypse TV drama. I already named it "Haven."

Maus: If you don't know what this is, you're missing out. Easily one of the most deceptively violent and heart-wrenching books you'll pick up. Do NOT buy for children.

Midnight Nation: Creepy, supernatural stuff by the same dude behind "Rising Stars." Has a really cool Showtime or HBO drama feel to it, and I just love the concept of the book: dude who loses his soul enters a dimension of the planet where all the forgotten have gone, and has to walk across the country to get it back. Hard to explain, but really dope.

Transmetropolitan: GREAT book about a pissed-off columnist in a really shitty future. Warren Ellis shows you just how fucked up he can be in this series.

Blankets:
*sigh* THE book for you wussy romantic dudes out there. Just an absolute masterpiece from top to bottom, and easily my favorite graphic novel of all time. Sorry, "Watchmen," I just didn't FEEL you the way I did "Blankets."
"Behind you, Primo! WATCH OUT!"

TaNK

Good choice on The Walking Dead.

Its an amazinig comic book and I will say that it is the best I have ever read apart from Sin City. It is simply amazing.

Zombie Gunn

Jonny Worldbeater

The graphic novel epic on the level of Lord of the rings.

Though technically based around the Spider-man universe, this series focuses more on the personalities and stories of side-characters in this universe, and in this particular issue - written by 100 Bullets author Brian Azzarello and Scott Levy, better known as Raven - tells the story of Spider-man's first 'opponent' after receiving his powers, Crusher Hogan, and the motivations behind his challenge. A great little story, especially for wrestling fans.

Zombie Gunn

Spiderman's opponent after receiving his powers?  Damn, that sounds like a superhero.

Black Death

need to check out that spiderman one and I love bone stories
"Asuka, gives you two thumbs up"

Jonny Worldbeater

Quote from: Jesse Gunn on August 18, 2008, 09:35:42 PMSpiderman's opponent after receiving his powers?  Damn, that sounds like a superhero.

It might, but 1. Spider-man doesn't really appear in the story. And 2. This was the very original thing where Peter Parker was just using his powers for personal gain before Uncle Ben got killed. The actual main character isn't a superhero in this story.