News:

Check out our Site Partners!

80s Mania WrestlingDaShawns2cents on FacebookThe Efed PodcastESPN Sports SimsEWCThe Indy CornerMFX PodcastOld School WrestlingSLTD WrestlingWhat A Maneuver!Wrestleview.comWrestling Mayhem Show

Main Menu

Jon Jones

Started by Gravedigger, July 06, 2016, 11:40:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gravedigger

Fnord

Just like in general or did something happen? lol

Quote[Today at 12:56:15 PM] Duckman: Fnording=the act of not realising something very obvious 
Quote from: AlexK on July 25, 2010, 12:23:31 AMI love you, Fnord.

Gravedigger

He tested positive so he's out of UFC 200...

Fnord

Wow. Yep. Per ESPN.com:

QuoteLAS VEGAS -- UFC interim light heavyweight champion Jon Jones has been notified of a potential doping violation, ruling him out of his bout with Daniel Cormier in the main event of UFC 200.

UFC president Dana White announced the dramatic change Wednesday night, three days before the mixed martial arts promotion's landmark show.

Jones tested positive for a banned substance in an out-of-competition sample taken June 16 by USADA, said Jeff Novitzky, UFC's ice president of athlete health and performance. USADA administers the UFC's anti-drug policy.

Jones is considered the top pound-for-pound fighter in MMA, but he has failed drug tests around two of his past three scheduled fights. He tested positive for apparent cocaine use before his first fight with Cormier at UFC 182 in January 2015.

Jones served a suspension for much of 2015 after his involvement in a hit-and-run accident.

In the absence of Jones-Cormier, the scheduled three-round heavyweight fight between Brock Lesnar and Mark Hunt will be the card's lone main event.

Quote[Today at 12:56:15 PM] Duckman: Fnording=the act of not realising something very obvious 
Quote from: AlexK on July 25, 2010, 12:23:31 AMI love you, Fnord.

Cory

I mean that fight probably wasn't going to be a fight of the night contender or anything but still sucks we lost a big fight. Hopefully they find DC a replacement would like to see him throw some dude around

SUBSCRIBE TO MY GAMING CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE

Duckman

No words.  Just such a waste of talent.

Doesn't look like they're getting a replacement fight for DC.  Feel so sorry for him - this was the biggest fight of his career (financially he'd have made millions as he was due a cut of the PPV revenue) and once again Jones messes it up.

Fair play to UFC for not trying to hide this or cover it up until after the show.  And fair play to them for taking such a big hit with the main event of their biggest show of the year. 

This USADA programme is doing wonders to clean up the sport, but man it's costing UFC so much money and costing fans the chance to see great fights/fighters.

Again, Jones is a complete moron and it's so sad to see a guy throwing away his career with drugs.  Whatever drugs they may be.  Guess he didn't get his sh*t together like DC said!

Still, it's a stacked card and it'll be a great show, but man I was looking forward to this fight.
Check out the MFX Podcast today!  http://www.marksforxcellence.com/?cat=1

Subscribe to MFX via Stitcher or Itunes.  Just search: Marks for Xcellence Podcast.

Jon

I don't want to make any impulse reactions until some more details are released on what he exactly did. I read that he is sponsored by GAT supplements and in some of their products, there is a drug called Testagen that can cause false positive test results. I'm not saying that's what happened, but with that being a possibility I will reserve judgment until more information is released on what exactly he was positive for. Obviously, if it's steroids or any type of PED, it'd be a crying shame.

I feel terrible for DC though. The guy has poured his heart and soul into both of these Bones fights and for this to happen... AGAIN to Bones... just feel absolutely gutted for him. And add the fact that he could potential miss out on a HUGE pay day if they cannot find a replacement fighter for him... that just adds fuel to the fire.

As for potential replacements, I would love to see Mousasi get the opportunity if one of the top tier LHW are unable or unwilling to get it a crack. I think Rumble should get the first call and then Glover (but it might be hard for either to make weight with 2 days notice.)

GM of the Queen City Conquerors

Duckman

I'd be really interested to see if all these supplements and crap actually do anything for a fighter.

It's obvious, in a completely unregulated industry, that you're running a risk of taking something tainted. 

I don't ever hear about any fighters saying, "man this supplement really gives me an edge."  Unless they're paid to do it and they think it must give an edge.  Which I've seen no evidence to say it does.

Plus taking a supplement feels a bit like being on diet roids.  I get the need to get any advantage you can in training etc, but surely just eating really clean, drinking water and doing things natural is what your body is designed for and also removes the risk of one of these supplements being funky and making you piss hot.

Do any of you guys take supplements etc?  I don't mean like vitamins and stuff, but rather the kind of stuff Jon's mentioned in his post.  Be interested to hear if you do, and if they give an added edge or show improvements for you.

Personally I think the whole industry is a con, but that's just a gut feeling without any real evidence to back it up...so basic internet opinion! :)

Subscribe to MFX via Stitcher or Itunes.  Just search: Marks for Xcellence Podcast.

Jon

I have actually taking a GAT product before. It was testosterone booster and it was recommended by me from a buddy to use a pre-workout. I didn't like it though and made me all itchy while I was in the gym.

I don't take any supplements at all currently, no pre-work out... no protein... no creatinine... nothing. I take a men's one a day, fish oil and that's it.

They have never done anything for me other then cost me money. 

Ty

Quote from: Duckman on July 07, 2016, 09:59:45 AM
I'd be really interested to see if all these supplements and crap actually do anything for a fighter.

It's obvious, in a completely unregulated industry, that you're running a risk of taking something tainted. 

I don't ever hear about any fighters saying, "man this supplement really gives me an edge."  Unless they're paid to do it and they think it must give an edge.  Which I've seen no evidence to say it does.

Plus taking a supplement feels a bit like being on diet roids.  I get the need to get any advantage you can in training etc, but surely just eating really clean, drinking water and doing things natural is what your body is designed for and also removes the risk of one of these supplements being funky and making you piss hot.

Do any of you guys take supplements etc?  I don't mean like vitamins and stuff, but rather the kind of stuff Jon's mentioned in his post.  Be interested to hear if you do, and if they give an added edge or show improvements for you.

Personally I think the whole industry is a con, but that's just a gut feeling without any real evidence to back it up...so basic internet opinion! :)

I can tell you the difference supplements made for me. I took them for two fights and not for two fights. Post weight cut, that's when I noticied the biggest difference. I was more alert, had more energy and just felt ready to fight. Same routine without supplements was a disaster, I felt so low that I wasn't even sure I wanted to fight that night. Personally, I wouldn't even dream of competing again without them. I can understand why all fighters take them.

Cory

Jon Jones didn't need a single supplement to destroy DC again.

Jon

Quote from: Cory on July 07, 2016, 10:51:28 AM
Jon Jones didn't need a single supplement to destroy DC again.

He beat DC last time, but I wouldn't say he destroyed him by any means.

Cory

Well 4 rounds to 1 if you ask me, and I was pulling for DC to win that fight and this one....Jones is just superior in every way inside of the cage. Jones outwrestled DC and that was Cormier only ace in the hole. This fight wasn't going to be any different than the 1st one really...DC had a punchers chance essentially as I only think he beat Jones by catching him with something in the clinch.

I was prepared to say after this fight that if DC lost he needed to move back up to Heavyweight because that division is razor thin right now outside of the top 3 guys, but hearing that Jones could be suspended for 2 years that's pretty much the rest of DC's career, at least the rest of his prime.

Duckman

They replayed the first fight last night on TV, first time I've watched since the show aired.

Jones whipped his ass in every area of the fight.  I wouldn't have given DC a round.  He even took him down a couple of times and DC only got him down in the 5th when it was already over.  Plus it was one of those grinding takedowns against the cage - which looked to sap the last drop of energy DC had, then Jones just popped up and spanked him with elbows.

Not sure this one would've been any different to be honest.

Cory

I heard Gus wants to step in a fight DC...then again saying you want to on twitter and actually doing it are two different things.