News:

Check out our Site Partners!

80s Mania WrestlingDaShawns2cents on FacebookThe Efed PodcastESPN Sports SimsEWCThe Indy CornerMFX PodcastOld School WrestlingSLTD WrestlingWhat A Maneuver!Wrestleview.comWrestling Mayhem Show

Main Menu

'BioShock' studio Irrational Games shutting down

Started by Black Death, February 19, 2014, 03:51:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black Death

The studio behind first-person shooter classic BioShock is closing its doors.

Boston-based Irrational Games will shut down after 17 years, co-founder Ken Levine revealed in a statement on the studio's website. The company was responsible for the 2007 hit BioShock and 2013 follow-up BioShock Infinite, both of which were among the best video games of their respective years.

"It's been the defining project of my professional life," Levine wrote of Irrational Games, which was founded in 1997.

Levine says he will retain 15 members of the Irrational team for a new project with Take-Two Interactive, the video game publisher that launched the BioShock series through its 2K label.

Levine says the new endeavor will involved "highly replayable" narrative-driven video games for the core player.

"To meet the challenge ahead, I need to refocus my energy on a smaller team with a flatter structure and a more direct relationship with gamers," says Levine. "In many ways, it will be a return to how we started: a small team making games for the core gaming audience."

Levine says the BioShock franchise netted more than a half-billion dollars in revenue since launching in 2007 for PC and the Xbox 360 (a PS3 version was released a year later).

2K will maintain the rights of the BioShock franchise.
"Asuka, gives you two thumbs up"

Chris Stern

can't help but think there is more to this situation then what Ken had said in his post on the companies website. I honestly think that 2k wanted to keep milking Bioshock like Activision milks Call of Duty and Ken wanted to do other projects then Bioshock.

Marq

"Hey, I have an idea.

You know how all those people worked long hours for years on end to put out games that will, no doubt, stand the test of time and be considered industry game-changers?!

Let's lay them off."

Ugh.

After what I saw at LucasArts last year -- on the ground zero level, no less -- I fucking hate hearing about this shit. Hopefully, these talented folks can find somewhere to land without too much stress.
"Behind you, Primo! WATCH OUT!"

TheBritishVixen

Black Death

Quote from: TheBritishVixen on February 20, 2014, 07:00:31 PM
That sound? Yeah that's my heart breaking  :(

Oh ... I am here for you ... let me give you a hug

TheBritishVixen

2K reserving the rights makes me a sad panda too because look at how they butchered Bioshock 2 against the original to make money from the franchise.

At least Levine cared about the players enjoyment enough to take 5 years to make the TRUE sequel to his original masterpiece.

Cos I sure as hell don't want an Infinite 2 from 2K.

Black Death

Quote from: TheBritishVixen on February 21, 2014, 06:51:02 AM
2K reserving the rights makes me a sad panda too because look at how they butchered Bioshock 2 against the original to make money from the franchise.

At least Levine cared about the players enjoyment enough to take 5 years to make the TRUE sequel to his original masterpiece.

Cos I sure as hell don't want an Infinite 2 from 2K.

I agree 100% ... and if you still want that hug  the Big Teddy Bear is here for you

:D