News:

Join our chat! - https://discord.gg/6vUfQnG

Main Menu

Xbox Natal?

Started by The Murph, June 15, 2009, 01:57:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Murph

http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/696552/TheFeed.html?utm_source=g4tv&utm_medium=twitterblog&utm_campaign=twitterblog_thefeed&intcid=twitterblog_thefeed

Is Microsoft releasing a new console next year? That's the word according to 1Up's Sam Kennedy (Mister Kennedy!!!). According to his sources, not only will Project Natal will be released as an add-on for the Xbox 360, it will also be an integral part of a new Xbox system.

"Microsoft will not only release Natal as an add-on for the Xbox 360, it will come standard with the next Xbox console. Yes, there will be a new Xbox console next fall.

However, the new console won't just be an Xbox 360 with a camera, though -- we've heard it will be considered a new platform and carry a new name (Xbox Natal?). It's not clear what sort of upgrades we might see, but some have suggested it will be an slight upgrade of the current Xbox 360 technology. Current Xbox 360 games would be playable on it, but future games would be able to take advantage of the added muscle."

Kennedy has been covering games for an awfully long time and has outstanding sources, but the whole thing seems off to me. Microsoft is doing well with the Xbox 360 and it seems way too soon to confuse and splinter the market by introducing a new product. Increasing the momentum, or maintaining it at the very least, of the Xbox 360 seems like the smarter thing to do, especially with a strong first-party lineup and a price drop coming from Sony within the year. It just doesn't make sense to muck with customers and developers with a new product when the current one hasn't even peaked.

What do you think of the possibility of a new Xbox coming out next year? Would you buy it? Or are you content with the Xbox 360? Wouldn't you prefer that Microsoft put a full effort behind the 360? Or are you itching for something exciting and new (like the Love Boat)?

Level-One

Oh, fuck off Microsoft. They push a new system; they can go fuck themselves. Greedy bastards. It wasn't that long ago the X-box 360 came out, and I won't be shelling more money until a decent amount of time passes. I haven't read the article, but I can't imagine this being anything groundbreaking anyways.

chunkylover

I can see the headlines

"POST NATAL DEPRESSION!
- NEW CONSOLE BIGGEST FLOP SINCE VIRTUAL BOY"

The Murph

I think if Microsoft is making a new system, I doubt it's even close to being past prototypes. The next gen of systems I can't see before 2012 at the earliest myself.

JohnS.

Wow you Microsoft haters make me laugh.

Even with all the problems (that can be fixed for good with a little research and knowledge) it still beats out ANY Sony console by leaps and bounds. The PS3 is a glorified paperweight. End of story.

EDIT: Sorry, sorta came off like an asshole in my post lol. Of course, that's just my opinion, and I value everyone else's opinion as well. Sorry for sounding like a douche lol.

chunkylover

I still play my PS2 and gaming PC more than anything else.

Level-One

Quote from: JohnS. on June 15, 2009, 05:05:09 PM

Even with all the problems (that can be fixed for good with a little research and knowledge) it still beats out ANY Sony console by leaps and bounds. The PS3 is a glorified paperweight. End of story.

EDIT: Sorry, sorta came off like an asshole in my post lol. Of course, that's just my opinion, and I value everyone else's opinion as well. Sorry for sounding like a douche lol.

Wrong.

I own a X-box 360. I don't own a PS3. I hate microsoft and corporations like Sony, for ripping the fuck out of the consumer. Read it again, bro.

Bryan

i have all three systems...i play Xbox 360 the most, though I am really not a fan of Microsoft's stance on the RRoD or the warranty that comes with it. I play the Wii on occasion, I have some great games on there and also on the Virtual Console (still waiting for Earthbound :(). PS3 though...I got Littlebigplanet and played it for a while. I then tried Home and only played it once before being bored of the long load times and just overall boring atmosphere of it. I am interested in Infamous though so maybe things will change soon.

As for Natal,  if the rumors are true I think it will be a redesigned version of the 360. I don't think we'll be seeing the next slew of systems for a good while; it's not like there is really anything that can one up what he have now.

The Murph

Quote from: Level-One on June 15, 2009, 07:13:53 PM
Quote from: JohnS. on June 15, 2009, 05:05:09 PM

Wrong.

I own a X-box 360. I don't own a PS3. I hate microsoft and corporations like Sony, for ripping the fuck out of the consumer. Read it again, bro.

Same. I love my 360. Never had a system just makes it so easy to do things. Sure PS2 played DVD, but 360 allows you to play media files like AVI and such. And plays MP3 which is something the PS2 never did, which was odd. PS3 doesn't have a single game that really interests me that I can't get on the 360.

And I agree with Bryan. it anything it's a redesigned and probably scaled down version of the 360. Sort of like how Sony does it with their Playstations.

Draeden

Sounds like a pack of crap. Everyone needs to wait before releasing another mainstream console to replace the 360/PS3. There'll always be the whackjobs that have to have the latest tech as soon as it's released and the chumps will fork out ridiculous money for it but for gamers who have more important things to spend their money on, ie bills and shit, it'll be ignored until they stop making games for the 360.

End of 2010 is still far too soon.