News:

Join our chat! - https://discord.gg/6vUfQnG

Main Menu

Crimson's Quest

Started by Alex Smiley, April 24, 2018, 01:20:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex Smiley

(Editor's Note: Originally published July 30, 2008.)

Prologue
Alex McGregor looked up from his hands, now coated in tears. His Pastor sat in front of him, staring off as if in a trance.

"I saw you Alex, you were full grown and you were fighting a man... this man was horrible, he was the one that had killed that girl, the one that kidnapped you... I saw you two, and you killed him. You had to, it was either him or you. You ended what would have been only the beginning of his reign of terror. And... that's it. You save hundreds of lives, that is your destiny."

Pastor Roland snapped out of it, realizing he had spilled his entire vision to the young boy that sat in front of him. Realizing with utter horror what he had just done, he shook his head, trying to negate the prophecy he had already told. But it was too late. On the boy, with whom tragedy had been supplied a double portion, he saw a look that frightened the reverend.

"I take it back, Alex. I shouldn't have told you this."

"No, Pastor. You should have. You've given me hope. Hope to change this world, to make it up to those that I've wronged in the past, and to... redeem myself for my sins."

Yet, despite his words there was more than hope on Alex's face. There was a zealous fire like that which possesses saints and madmen.

Eight years later and we see our hero once again. Alex McGregor, or now more commonly known as The Crimson Shadow stands at the brink of murder. For he will do anything to find his love, and to end the man that stole her from him.

It has been nearly a year since he looked into the soft eyes of Samantha. He remembered the warm touch of her hands, warring with the rough texture of his own skin. He could still taste the flavor of her lips, and feel the pounding in his heart with each breath on his neck.

He did not know that his love was a mere three blocks away from him at this very moment. Rescued by Liam Yoshio of the WRF, several twists of fate had led to her safekeeping and to this fateful day... the ultimate finale to a tale of murder, love and courage.

The Crimson Shadow looks across the table at the man that had given him much information, a man that had been there those years ago, kidnapped by the same man that he is after now. The man dressed similar to himself. While Alex had progressed from the days of wearing a dark cloak, a symbol of many things... this man still wore the traditional cloth of the village that he had been raised. Though now hidden, they both had the same tattoo on their back.

The man sighed and sat down his drink.

"Tonight, the man you seek is laying out a plan that will bring much bloodshed if all falls into place. If he succeeds, this will be the first of many bloody nights at his will."

"I know," Crimson answered.

"I think you'll get your Samantha back, though." He spoke like a half-medieval warrior and half-prophet. In truth, he knew nothing of prophets but much of destiny, for he sought after his own destiny himself. It was a destiny that depended greatly not only on what would happen during the next 24 hours, but on the two women he had befriended through his own betrayal of them.

"I will," Crimson replied again. "I will get her back."

Chapter 1
"Where the fuck are you going!?"

The Crimson Shadow turned, looking over his shoulder. He had heard the footsteps behind him, but had chosen not to act on impulse, instead allowing his pursuer to follow him and make the first move. Now that he had, Crimson turned and saw a man standing behind him, wearing black jeans and a silk shirt.

"I know you. You're Mark Mania," he said matter-of-factly.

"No shit. Where do you think you're going?"

Crimson looked around and pretended to not understand. "Isn't there a restroom around here?"

"This is Legacy Tower, and the building isn't even open yet. How did you get in here?"

Mark paused, beginning to recognize the large man in the black hoodie.

"You're... you're the Crimson Shadow."

Suddenly pieces of information began to come together. Smitty's death. The attempt on Crimson's life just a week later at The Experts Invitational 2007. The news reports of Crimson's girl being kidnapped.

"Who killed Smitty!?"

"What?"

Mark replied with a stiff punch to the jaw. One that even The Crimson Shadow didn't see coming. His guard was lowered. He stumbled back and collided with the freshly painted wall. Mania was on him, wrapping his hands around Crimson's throat.

"You have to know! Who killed my cousin!?"

Crimson gasped, trying to pull Mark's fingers off of his own throat. Finally, he delivered a knee to Mark's gut, but it only grazed him. It was enough. Crimson threw his arm up and grabbed Mark by the jaw, pulling him to the side. Mark released the chokehold and Crimson executed a roundhouse kick to Mania's head. Mania stumbled back, tripping over a piece of scaffolding and went flying over it onto the tile floor. He was back up though, but Crimson was on him. Crimson went for a german suplex, but Mark stopped it with a low-blow, extending his leg behind him. Crimson doubled over in pain as Mark turned around, delivering several quick punches to the midsection. Crimson fell down to his knees and Mark delivered a hard dropkick to his face. Crimson fell back onto his back and Mark cautiously approached him.

"Who killed my cousin, you bastard? Who did it!?" Mark looked furious.

"Nobody." Crimson breathed back.

"What!?"

"Nobody killed him. He's still alive." Crimson spoke through pained words.

"You're out of your mind. I went to his funeral."

"Did you see the body?"

"No, it was closed casket. He was shot to death, you heartless bastard! There was a police report."

"Money can change a lot."

Mark looked like he was beginning to doubt everything he knew. He stood up and began to pace back and forth. Crimson sat up, holding his own throat.

"You're lying, Crimson. You have to be. Why would he do that? And not tell me?"

"Ask Gunn. He's the one that's been hiding him this entire time."

Mark looked serious for a moment. No, he looked enraged. Without saying another word, he stormed out of the hallway and into the lobby, taking out his cellphone as he went.

Chapter 2
The Killer was not amused. He looked in his rearview mirror, and noticed the blemish on his cheek. The scab that would soon be a scar from the brawl with Draeden Darksky. Worse yet was that all of his plans were slowly unraveling before him. Months, he had been working on this. To eliminate not only every threat to him and his enterprise, but those that possibly could stand in his way.

Some, like Bobby Azula... simply needed to be erased because they had seen too much. Others, like Draeden Darksky needed to be dealt with for daring to poke their nose where it doesn't belong. Then of course there was Foley Anderson, the hack that simply deserved to die for his own foolishness. Not to mention the pompous pricks, Black Death, Shadow, Jack Killa and Eric DeSalve. The so-called "new-breed" of wrestling that wouldn't last two seconds if facing a real opponent. Last, and worst of all... The Crimson Shadow. The prodigy of the wrestling world, and the biggest thorn in his side since the day he escaped from his basement.

But all of that would change today. Indeed, all of that would change.

In front of him, he could see traffic building up at the intersection of Industrial Parkway and Mission Boulevard. On his left was the freshly constructed Legacy Tower, soon to be opening its doors. On his right, Legacy Plaza... where the pawns in his game would do all of his dirty work for him.

And of course... there was one more. One more thorn in his side, that would have to die at a later time. Indeed, the only man that could ever bring him down, he thought. The arrogant fool that managed to get the information out of Foley. Foley would die for his own foolish betrayal, but the informer would die... soon enough. After the day was over and the bodies begin to mount, he would turn his attention to his ultimate thorn... the man that ALL of them wanted to die... the man that dares to call himself Dragon.

He parked just outside the arena, and got out having a look around. Nobody was around, of course. Everyone working for The Experts had been given a day off, just as he had planned. Now, it was time for the interesting things to happen. He took out his phone and placed a call.

"Hello, Mr. Jack Killa. Your photoshoot at Legacy Plaza is scheduled for one hour from now... alright, I'll see you then."

He hangs up, then dials another number and switches on his voice muffling device.

"Well, if it isn't Shadow, the franchise of The Experts... You don't need to know who this is, you senseless prick... I have some information for you. Jack Killa is going to be at Legacy Plaza in one hour. If you don't show up here and kick his ass, your life will be on the line... oh trust me, you back down and I'll find you. I ALWAYS find who I'm after... good, glad to see you don't backdown from a challenge. Now fuck off."

He hung up the phone and chuckled, putting it back in his pocket and going inside the arena to setup.

Chapter 3
Bobby Azula looks at the large clock, high up on the wall at Oakland Airport and sees that it's just past two in the afternoon, realizing he had plenty of time. He heads over to Baggage Claim, and waits for his luggage to come around. After a couple cycles, he realizes that his bags haven't come out.

The ever-patient Bobby Azula is getting a little impatient now. Holding his cool, he heads to the terminal to speak with somebody about his missing luggage. Unfortunately, the line is insanely long and is forced to wait nearly half an hour for it to be his turn.

"Yeah, my luggage hasn't come out yet."

"Are you sure, sir? Why don't you go watch for it again?" The airport worker is light and cheery, perhaps TOO light and cheery.

"Ma'am, I watched it go around three times, it's not there. I need my luggage, can you please find out where it is?" Bobby asks, exasperated.

"I'm sorry, but I don't have that kind of capability from here. Here, take this..." She hands him an extremely long form.

"Just have a seat and fill this out and we'll begin to process it through lost luggage." She gives him another ass-kisser's smile.

"Lost!? That's my stuff. It can't be lost." Waves of denial flood his consciousness.

"Sir, I'm going to have to ask you to please have a seat over there and when you're finished with the form, come back in line and I'll help you." Her bright and cheery attitude begins to change to polite, but firm bitch-ness.

"Well, do I at least come to the front when I'm done?" He asks.

"I'm sorry, but you have to wait your turn like everybody else." With that, she turns to the next person in line and seems to forget that Bobby even existed, standing there with a 25 inch form, a look of hopelessness... and no pencil.

He looks at the form, reading it aloud.

"Name, social security number, address, phone number, list items missing, please attach sales receipt or proof of purchase of all items missing, mother's maiden name, immunization record, eye color... what the..."

He tosses the form into the trash can and begins to walk towards the exit, annoyed. At least he could be early for his meeting with Gunn. He could just take a taxi straight to Legacy Plaza, and perhaps make a good impression. God's plan.

Chapter 4
Foley Anderson behind the wheel of his 2004 red Dodge Ram, a little worried and paranoid. His head hurt from the punch that Sting had wailed on him. More worry-some was the black Mercedes following him, just three car lengths back.

Foley swerved a little, partly because of his headache, partly because he was ass-drunk. He had managed to elude Sting for most of the night, but here he was again, right on his ass.

"Foley Anderson can smell what Foley Anderson has cooking, and it smells like trouble for this guy."

He made a sharp left turn, cutting off AC Transit bus and leaving the Mercedes without a means to follow him.

"Hahahaha! Foley Anderson owns you!"

Just then, red and blue flashing lights fill his rear-view mirror.

"Oh no..."

Meanwhile, Sting sat behind the wheel of the Mercedes, trying to inch his way back over towards the left lane so that he can try and catch up with Foley. Finally, he's able to and after a very agonizing two minutes, the light turns green and he rockets through the intersection, making a left onto Mission Boulevard.

In front of him, he sees Foley pulled over by the police car, and Foley on his knees with his hands behind his head.

The man in black looks upset, but says nothing. As a man of few words, he doesn't choose now to begin speaking to himself. Instead, he drives on past the scene, trying to figure out what to do next. He's close to Legacy Tower, so he could swing over and help out Crimson.

He thought back throughout the last week and how crazy things had been. The Crimson Shadow had come to him, asking for help. He said he admired Sting's attitude and that he had no friends he could trust, so had to turn to strangers for help. Crimson had told him that Foley Anderson may have knowledge of the man that kidnapped Samantha Emerson, and so the information must be received, no matter the consequences.

Today, Crimson was going to Legacy Tower to try and dig up some information from Gunn's files, while everybody in the company was on paid leave. Sting was left to Foley, which seemed like an impossible task now with Foley on his way to jail.

Sting decided his only course of action could be to go to Legacy Tower, and assist Crimson, so he turned away.

Back at the curbside, Foley Anderson began reciting the alphabet backwards for the amused officer when he saw the Mercedes drive by him. Finally, Foley got a good look at the driver, and chuckled when he saw it was Sting again.

"Z... A, I mean... Y... Z... No, damnit."

"That's alright, Mr. Anderson. I think I've seen enough. I'm going to place you under arrest for driving while intoxicated."

"I'm not intoxicated, I'm drunk you pig."

"Excuse me?" The officer, who had been polite thus far and even mesmerized to be in the presence of a professional wrestler now seemed angry.

"Oh fuck, it's Jesse Gunn."

The cop turned around quick to take a look and Barney capitalized on the situation, by punching the officer in the gut. The cop went for his gun, but Foley reacted fast by hitting the Foleyplex on the policeman right onto the sidewalk, before running away as fast as he could and getting into the truck. The officer began to slowly move around on the sidewalk, trying to get his bearings. Foley started the truck and put it into reverse, ramming the police car and sending the car rolling backwards down Mission Boulevard.

"Haha, forgot the Emergency Break Ocifer." Foley slurred.

He put the car in drive, and floored it taking off after the black Mercedes. He could barely see it in the distance through blurred vision, but caught sight of it turning into the Legacy Tower parking lot.

Foley smiled.

"Got you!"

Chapter 5
Jack Killa arrived at Legacy Plaza, happy as could be. Photoshoots were common for wrestlers of his caliber, but photoshoots at the legendary Legacy Plaza arena were certainly a treat. As the taxi driver pulled in, he saw the white van parked outside with the words "Mania Enterprises" written on the side.

"Heh, I guess Mark Mania is here."

Jack paid the taxi driver and got out, walking towards the arena. He opened the side door, and was greeted by a punch to the face from The Experts' free agent, Shadow.

"What the-"

He was cut off by a knee to the gut, and a swift uppercut to the jaw. Killa went into battle-mode, realizing that something was not right here. He threw his attacker away from him, and into the Mania van. Shadow hit the back of his head on the van and began to see spots. Killa capitalized, hitting a snap suplex onto the hard concrete.

Shadow arched his back, still feeling a little dizzy from the hit to his head and wondering how he lost the element of surprise so quickly.

Jack was back up and now began stomping down on the defenseless Shadow. Shadow reacted quick and rolled under the van.

"What you want!?"

Jack reached under the van, but Shadow was already on the other side and using the van to get back to his feet. Jack circled around the front, heading after him. Shadow opened the passenger door, slamming it against Jack Killa's chest.

"Ah!" Jack yelled out.

Shadow used Jack's stumbling backward momentum to charge after him with a spear, but both wrestlers hit hard, with Shadow bumping his already hurt head onto the concrete. Jack threw Shadow off of him, and now both wrestlers are down. Jack slowly began to recover, getting back up to his feet. He was in his zone now, as the hardcore wrestler. He grabbed Shadow by the hair and slowly brought him up to his feet, before launching him forward into the grill of the van. At the last second, Shadow reversed it and instead sent Jack into the grill. Jack didn't hit very hard though, and bounced off of it with only mild damage done. But Shadow wasn't done, slamming the sole of his boot into Jack's gut and sending him back against the grill again. Shadow took a few steps back, then charged in after Jack Killa. He dove and hit a splash right onto Jack Killa, laying him out on the ground.

Shadow looked down at the fallen wrestler, realizing that it was now over. Something felt off, however. Something just wasn't right. His suspicions were answered as he caught a glint of light reflected off of something on the roof. He looked up and saw a man there with a sniper's rifle. Shadow ducked down quick just as the silenced gun went off. Shadow could literally feel the air from the bullets inches from his head as he just barely missed.

"Oh my God."

Shadow couldn't believe it. Somebody was actually trying to kill him. If he hadn't of ducked... he would have been dead, for sure. He looked over and saw the unconscious Jack Killa, shielded by the van and therefore not in the madman's sights. Shadow peeked around the van, and saw that the man had disappeared.

"This bastard's gonna pay for this."

Being very cautious, he quickly ran out from behind the van and into the open door leading inside Legacy Plaza. He looked around, noticed the equipment for a photoshoot still setup near the ring. He stayed in the shadows, but began studying his surroundings, watching for the faintest movement.

Chapter 6
Draeden Darksky sat across from Samantha Emerson in the back of the limousine. A difficult task lie ahead of them, one that would test not only his own inner strength... but the strength of this woman who has already been through too much. Eight months of being held prisoner by a madman, tortured in ways that would make a grown man cry, ways that The Crimson Shadow knew all too well.

The limousine pulled into the parking lot of Legacy Tower, conveniently enough parking between Liam Yoshio's Toyota Supra and the gray Camry that The Crimson Shadow had rented. Neither of them knew that it was Crimson's car, nor that Crimson was currently on the fifteenth floor of the tower, going through paperwork and trying to piece together clues.

They weren't heading for the fifteenth floor, but rather for the fourth.

The two of them stepped into the large lobby, with green marble flooring accompanying glass and stainless steel. It was like a mad scientist's cathedral. They turned to the directory and saw that the WRF's secondary offices were located on the fourth floor, just as Draeden had been assured. They took the elevator, and things were just as uncomfortable in the cramped elevator as they had been in the limousine ride from Oakland Airport to the tower in Hayward.

Finally, the doors opened and they were met with an unfinished floor. Tools and construction supplies were strewn throughout the floor. A few sheets of plastic acted as curtains, separating the construction from the offices of WRF's Experts reporters. Draeden took her by the hand, and with his other hand he held the handle of his sword. They stepped through the first layer of plastic curtains, feeling an eerie sense. As if they were stepping from one world into another, as if each sheet of plastic was like the veil of a dimension.

Perhaps it was just the shoegazer music playing in the background, that Gunn had chosen instead of the typical elevator music. They stepped through another layer of plastic, and were greeted by rows and rows of empty desks and computer monitors. But more important than that, they found themselves face to face with Liam Yoshio of the WRF.

All the planning, all the calm words that had gone through Draeden's head slipped away in the heat of the moment. He drew his sword rapidly, letting go of Samantha's hand. He raised the sword and the look of surprise on Liam's face faded to shock.

Draeden swung the sword, but Liam ducked it lightning fast. The sword struck the steel desk in front of him, causing an awful clanging noise. Liam capitalized with a side-kick to the kidneys. Draeden dropped to a knee, then felt the weight of Liam on his shoulders as Liam jumped onto him. Draeden fell down, landing with a thud on his stomach and knocking the wind out of his lungs, and the sword out of his hand. Yoshio hooked both of Dreaden's arms, then arched back, pulling Draeden up with him in some type of submission hold.

Draeden would have none of it, and launched his own head backwards, catching Yoshio squarely on the nose. Yoshio loosened his grip and that's all that Draeden needed. He grabbed one of Yoshio's arms and pulled him over his shoulder and to the ground. Draeden quickly locked on an armbar submission, causing Yoshio to scream out in pain.

For a brief second, Draeden considered yanking down on the arm until it broke, but saner thoughts entered his mind instead. He let go of the arm and quickly rose to his feet. Yoshio began to get up too, holding his arm in pain. Draeden didn't back down, and threw a swift punch to Yoshio's face, right onto the already bleeding nose. Yoshio stumbled back and Draeden grabbed him by the hair and the shirt, pushing him onto his back onto the desk.

He had him beat.

"Now, tell me... what is going on?" Draeden yelled at the defeated Yoshio.

"I don't know! I don't know!" Yoshio shook his head, fearful for his life now.

"What do you mean, you don't know?"

"I can't remember. Nothing from that night. My memories are like ghosts, like somebody hypnotized me into forgetting."

"That's bull!" Draeden screamed at him.

"WAIT!" Samantha yelled out, tears coming from her eyes.

Draeden let go of Yoshio and turned to Samantha, trying to study her expression. Finally she spoke more.

"He's telling the truth. I think... I think... he saved me."

Draeden looked on stunned, both at this revelation and at the fact that the girl seemed to be speaking more, not as a ghost, but as a human being coming out of whatever daze she was in.

Yoshio stood up and looked on at Samantha. The look on his face was very strange, as if he was somehow beginning to remember.

"I came here, trying to figure out what happened. I don't know where I was the night I showed up in your driveway. But my schedule is so full... I figured WRF might know. So, I came here. I had to try and make sense of this all."

"What did you find out?" Draeden asked.

"Nothing," he said. "But... I'm starting to remember. I remember... the van. I was hit in the head, and then... I think... I remember waking up, tied up in the back with this girl here."

He pointed to Samantha.

"I remember squeezing out of my ropes, the guy didn't tie them right or I was too strong, don't know. I remembered him pulling up to this house... hey, I think it was your house. But... then he got out. When he did, I got into the front seat and was gonna get the hell out of there. Then, I remember... oh, it's so hard to remember."

He thought about it for a moment, then continued. "I don't know. He must have come back and hit me again, but I'm not sure. I remember seeing like six guys. Five of them wore dark robes, like cloaks. And one of them wore a rain jacket. That's all I remember."

"What do you mean by robes?" Draeden asked.

"I don't know, like druids. It was weird, right outside of your house like that."

Draeden thought he should go about hiring an armed security force with the break-in and now a whole group of druids in his driveway. "What did the man in the rain jacket look like?"

"I don't know," Yoshio answered. "I honestly can't remember."

"Well, what now?" Draeden asked.

"Can we find Alex?" Samantha asked.

"She's back at the mansion," Draeden answered, wondering why she was asking about her.

"No... I mean Alex, Alex McGregor. The Crimson Shadow as you know him."

They all three looked at each other and nodded.

Chapter 7
Shadow slid over a railing, then under another. Here, under the empty stands, he could hear creaking and footsteps all around him. Perhaps he was paranoid, but somebody had just tried to shoot him to death. He deserved that right.

But he was not here cowering and hiding. He was trying to find a good point to mount an attack, to take down the man that thought he could kill Shadow.

He reached the end of the current section and peeked under one of the seats, sliding up into the stands. He looked around the seat and saw two men in the ring. He did a double-take, not understanding at first. Black Death stood, his True Expert title on his shoulder. Standing across from him, Eric DeSalve looked ready to meet his destiny.

Without a word between them, Black threw down his belt and they both charged after each other. They locked up and Black began to immediately overpower him. Black pushed him back against the ropes, and then tossed him into the opposite ropes. Eric came off of them, and surprised Black Death with a spinning neck breaker. Both men got back up, DeSalve a little faster. And with a kick to the duck and a front-head lock, the True Expert found himself in a losing battle.

DeSalve released the hold, then dropped an elbow on Black's shoulders, sending him crashing to the mat, face first. DeSalve got back up and came off the ropes. As Black Death began to struggle against the attack, and rise, he found a guillotine leg drop on his neck once more. DeSalve rolled him up for the pin, shouting out the count himself.

"1...2..."

He stopped the count as Black Death kicked out. DeSalve grabbed him by the head, having an eerie feeling and beginning to look around the arena.

Just then, Shadow realized something. They must know about the madman too. He marveled at the similarity between what is happening here and what just happened outside with Jack Killa. Somebody is toying with them, forcing these people to fight for his own amusement. Then, when the match is over... somebody is going to die.

Shadow knew he had to act quick and looked around the empty arena, up to the rafters trying to figure out where the killer had gone. There! He saw him, at the north-west corner of the building, in an area that wasn't visible from the ring. But from where Shadow hid, he was plenty visible. He had to get to him before it was too late. He had to take out the gunman before the match ended.

Meanwhile, Sting was pulling into the parking lot, when he just happened to glance in his sideview mirror, and catch the glint of red. He looked closer and saw the familiar truck of Foley Anderson. He didn't know exactly what happened and how Foley managed to get away from the cop, but Sting was sure of one thing. He was certainly not going to become the hunted.

Rather than lead Foley to the tower and to The Crimson Shadow, he pulled into the other end of the parking lot and parked next to Legacy Plaza, the arena. Sting got out and saw the Mania Enterprises van a few hundred feet away, and knew he wouldn't be alone in the arena, that Mark Mania was here. He didn't see the unconscious Jack Killa lying on the other side of the van.

Sting opened the side door and went into the arena. Foley Anderson pulled in just after him, not stopping in time and driving up over the guard blocks. He shut off the engine and got out of the car, carrying his favorite drink with him.

He went in through the same door that Sting had gone, and now found himself in one of the back rooms of the arena, where The Experts had kept their files before migrating them to the Tower. There was nobody else around, so he decided to check one of the other rooms. Instead, he opened the door to the arena itself, and found himself under the stands, conveniently enough in the same place that Shadow had just been moments before. Foley looked around, then up at the rafters where he knew Sting liked to hang out. There, he saw the madman with a gun.

"What the cheese!? Why does Sting have a gun? He's trying to kill Foley. I will make him pay!"

Foley then began to climb the scaffolding, to go after the man with the gun. As the hardcore superstar of yesterday, he didn't fear heights or even death. Still, he didn't notice Sting until he had lowered himself from the rafters and was immediately on him. Foley let out a scream that echoed throughout the arena, then they both fell back onto a wooden box, crushing it.

Black Death, who had DeSalve in a sleeperhold let go of his opponent, not knowing what the sound was. This was his mistake and DeSalve capitalized with a stunner out of nowhere. Black Death went down, and DeSalve went for the cover.

"1...2..." But it was not enough.

Black Death kicked out, and now DeSalve found himself looking to the source of the scream and the crash, but not seeing anything. The lights in the arena were designed to illuminate the ring and nothing else, which made it difficult to make out anything in the darkness.

Just then, he felt very vulnerable, but he did what he knew best. He fought. Both men fought, and now as both are standing they lock up again. DeSalve went for a punch to the chest, but it didn't faze the big man. Instead, Black Death went for his own punch to DeSalve's face. DeSalve ducked it, then wrapped his arms around Black Death, lifting him up into the air into a sidewalk slam. Black Death reeled and let loose with several punches, really just flailing to keep DeSalve away from him. It worked as DeSalve backed away enough for Black Death to get up to his knees. DeSalve charged after him again with a drop kick, but Black Death saw it coming dodged it entirely. DeSalve slid past him in the ring, and Black Death was now on his feet, stomping away at Eric.

Meanwhile, both men could hear fighting somewhere far off in the arena, coming from the same direction as the scream and crash earlier. They didn't know what was happening, but they would fight anyway. This match was for more than just a title.

Elsewhere in the arena, Shadow was closing in on the man with the gun. He still couldn't make out his face, except to see a scab going across the man's cheek barely visible under the hood of his rain jacket. Shadow looked down and saw Black Death now had the upperhand. He saw him lift DeSalve into the air and hit the Black Death Driver. Shadow panicked, knowing that it could likely all be over with that. He picked up the pace, perhaps making more noise than he should have, because the man suddenly turned his head towards Shadow's direction.

His cover was blown, and there was no other option than to run flat out. Shadow sprinted towards the man, just as Black Death went for the pin and counted.

"1...2...3!"

The man seemed to smirk, and aimed his sniper's rifle in at the two wrestlers once again. Just before squeezing the trigger, Shadow collided into him throwing off his aim, and causing the bullet to sail into one of the light fixtures instead. The fixture exploded, along with several lights near it and they all went crashing down to the arena floor. Black Death stared up at the ceiling, trying to see into the darkness at what's happening. DeSalve, though beaten began to look around too, as Shadow and the killer fought a hundred yards above the arena floor.

Chapter 8
Jesse Gunn pulled up to the arena in his black Mustang, while talking on his phone.

"Mark... calm down... calm down... listen, We can talk about this in person. I'm here at the arena."

He hung up the phone and sighed, running his hands through his hair. He was frazzled, frustrated and annoyed. Worse of all was that at the peak of his career, when things are supposed to be going excellent and he was at the top of the wrestling world, everything seemed to hang by a thread. He opened up the door, and cursed at the fact that the door was unlocked.

"Nobody at this damn arena today, and they leave the door unlocked. Who the hell would have done this?"

He stepped into the lobby of Legacy Plaza and saw Mark Mania at the other end of the lobby, looking in through the doors to where the actual arena was located.

"What the fuck is happening in there?" Mark asked, but not really at anyone in particular.

"Alright, are we ready to talk, Mark?" Gunn looked impatient.

Mark turned to Gunn, though most of the anger had left him from earlier.

"Gunn, I know that Smitty is alive."

"What?" Gunn put on a look of confusion. "What makes you say that?"

"Crimson told me. He must have figured it out. He's been snooping through a lot of things. In fact, he's probably up in the Tower doing that right now."

"WHAT!? You let him in there?"

"All the doors are unlocked in this damn place," said Mark. "You should really look into some better security, but that's not my question. You're avoiding the issue at hand. Where is Smitty and why did he fake his death?"

"He didn't fake his death, Mark."

"BULL! Now that I think about it more and more, it makes sense. Crimson said if you have money, you can do anything. Smitty had the money."

"Smitty didn't fake his death, Mark." Gunn said exasperated. "I faked his death. Somebody really did try to kill Smitty, so to protect him... I arranged for everyone to hush about the fact that he survived."

"Well, then where is he?" Mark asked.

"He's in Ireland. Let's just say that I have friends there, and they're looking out for him. Possibly teaching him a few things about new fighting techniques too."

"Why doesn't he come out? Why doesn't he tell people that he's okay so his fucking family and friends don't think he's dead?" Mark looked enraged, but not at Gunn.

"Because we don't know who it is that tried to kill him, and because I haven't allowed him to come forward."

"I want to see him. How do I get there?" Mark took a few threatening steps closer to Gunn.

"I can't tell you that, Mark." Gunn answered, putting his hands up in caution.

In response, Mark swung a punch but Gunn being the former wrestler saw it coming. He ducked it, then blocked a knee to his face. Still, he was on the defensive and Mark kept after him. Through the large windows, they could both see out of the corners of their eyes, a yellow taxi approaching. They paid it no attention, and continued to brawl it out. Finally, Gunn got the advantage he was looking for and speared Mania to the ground. Mark would have none of it, and began pounding the top of Gunn's head with both fists.

Meanwhile, Bobby Azula got out of his taxi empty-handed without his luggage. He turned towards the arena entrance just as Mark Mania came flying through the glass door, fragments landing all over the parking lot.

Bobby stood there, mouth agape as he saw Jesse Gunn emerge from lobby with a jumping leg drop onto Mark Mania. Bobby didn't know what to do, as these two legends of wrestling battled it out hardcore style, now in the parking lot.

The taxi peeled out, driving away as fast as it could. Bobby was left without an out, but he saw the rage in Gunn's eyes and stepped in.

"Gunn, take it easy man."

Gunn responded with a punch to Bobby's nose. It was on, now.

Bobby stumbled backwards, and saw Gunn picking up Mania by the hair. He capitalized and grabbed Gunn from behind, nailing a german suplex on the little man right onto the pavement.

Gunn seemed to land wrong though, and was laid out on the ground for a while. Azula turned to Mania to help him up. Mania looked up and saw that it was Bobby Azula and turned his helping hand into a lariat to the throat. Azula fell down onto his ass and Mania capitalized with a kick to the face, followed by a knee drop onto Gunn, who had started to regain his composure. Mark turned back to Azula, picking him up on his shoulder and slamming him down onto Gunn in a literal side-walk slam, but Bobby held on and flipped Mania around, hitting a tombstone piledriver! Azula was now in control of the situation, keeping Gunn down with a few well timed kicks while delivering a few well executed technical moves on Mania. Bobby managed to get Mania in a sharpshooter, to which Mania responded by shouting.

"You son of a bitch! You did it, didn't you!? You're the killer!"

"What?" Azula let go of Mark as he said this, he was so baffled.

Gunn was back on his feet, kicking Azula in the gut then delivering the Excalibur DDT for the first time in years. Mania began to get back to his feet. As Gunn approached him, Mania reached out and grabbed Gunn's legs, tripping him to the ground. Mania was up, lifting Gunn with him into a fireman's carry, then to a death valley driver.

Both of Mania's opponents were laid out on the ground, beaten and defeated. He turned to Bobby Azula, sitting on his chest.

"Why the hell did you try to kill my cousin!?" Mark asked him.

"I didn't. I'm not the killer."

"Yeah? Then why did Bonez tell me that you were, huh?"

Bobby shook his head, not knowing what was happening though the glimpse of that man throwing a woman into the trunk of a car began to come back to the front of his memory. Before he could say anything, Gunn spoke instead.

"Because Bonez is the killer, Mark."

Chapter 9
The Crimson Shadow put down the file. He had searched for hours through the personal files of Jesse Gunn, before finally finding what he was looking for.

Journal Entry 8/28/07 "" I have my own suspicions of him, Bonez that is. Ultimately I feel guilty for what happened to Smitty, but how would I have known what would become of it? And Crimson, I still don't know what part he plays in this and why Bonez had to kidnap Samantha. Still... I can't afford to go to the authorities with this. Not only would it ruin this company and everything I've built, I have no proof anyway and it would look like I was simply attacking a rival corporation. 'Just Business', they would say. Well, this isn't business. Sure... I needed the True Expert title. And it was at Mania Enterprises. Hell, even the police know that and they questioned me to no end, showing me the telephone call I made to Smitty just an hour before the attempt was made on his life.

Smitty's safe, I've made sure of that. He went fighting and screaming, even with his bullet wounds still fresh. But he's in the hands of much stronger people, in Ireland. Perhaps they'll even train him in the art of The Eternal Circle of Fire and War. This is of course, the same entity that has existed as a stand-alone army for hundreds of years. They can handle him, and he'll be safe there.

Besides all of this, things are looking well. Legacy Plaza had its first show and things were excellent. I've even spoken with MindTrip and he wants to run the Extreme Tournament again. The tower's construction is still underway and we're building contracts and speaking relationships with several key promotions and wrestlers. Best of all, thanks to Bonez the True Expert title is here in The Experts where it belongs. Smitty would never have stood for it, but I do think trying to kill him was a little much. It had to be Bonez. It just had to be. It's the only explanation that makes sense. Smitty's right-hand man, and he double-crossed him to help me. The power of money, I suppose.

Still, if Bonez is ever caught in this... they'll trace the money back to me. They'll think I had something to do with it, which is certainly not the case. No, I can't come forward with my suspicions. I'll just have to hope that he doesn't harm anybody else.

Crimson frowned, knowing that his friend... his mentor... had betrayed him like this. He had known exactly who the man was that kidnapped his love, and he had done nothing.

He stood up and went to the window, contemplating what to do next. What would be the best route. Should he confront Gunn or head straight to the east coast to Mania Enterprises? He didn't want to risk Gunn tipping Bonez off, but he needed to know everything before he found himself in a trap.

As he stared out the window, he looked down and saw a sight that both confused him and filled him with joy. Three figures were walking out of the tower and headed to Legacy Plaza. Two men stood side-by side, and he recognized them both through his studying of The Experts wrestling alliance. One was Liam Yoshio of the WRF, the other was Draeden Darksky of the VWF. This didn't concern him as much as seeing Samantha Emerson, seemingly unharmed and under her own will.

Chapter 10
Draeden Darksky, Liam Yoshio and Samantha Emerson crossed the parking lot and entered the arena through a side-door that led them to a well lit loading dock. Ahead of them, they heard a very loud crash as something heavy and glass seems to have just fallen.

The three of them looked at each other, then proceeded cautiously. They turned down a hallway as just ahead of them, a bloody Foley Anderson stepped into the hallway. Samantha ducked behind a trunk as Draeden and Liam stood there, waiting to see what would come of this bloody man in their path.

Next came Sting, staggering and limping. He grabbed Foley from behind and suplexed him back onto the cement floor. He kept his hold, then suplexed him again. Now, a third time and Foley Anderson was down for good.

"What do you know about Samantha's killer!? Where is Samantha!?"

"I'm right here." Samantha spoke up.

Sting looked over and saw her for the first time. Shocked and a little confused, he saw that she was safe with Liam and Draeden.

Finally, Foley spoke up. "I don't know nothing about no damn killer, fuckers. Now gimme some drink."

"Why did The Crimson Shadow want me to get information out of you? You're just a fool."

The look on Samantha's face brightened, but it was Foley that responded. "Crimson what? That the druid guy that been coming by my house?"

"What druid guy?" Draeden asked.

"I don't know. A big guy, irish accent. He kept coming up to me and asking me about the night I got my ass kicke- I mean, the time I was assaulted in the alley behind Legacy Plaza."

"What about it?"

"I tell you all that I told him. I know who did it. It was Bonez, the old wrestling guy from Mania Enterprises, you know? Well, he started assaulting me and telling me I would end up just like the Crimson Chin or something."

"Did you tell this man that it was Bonez?" Sting asked.

"No, I didn't tell that fool nothing. I ain't no damn snitch."

They all nodded, then looked at each other. There was a loud crash inside, and they all looked towards the arena doors behind them. Sting spoke first. "What's going on in there?"

"We're going to find out." Draeden said. "You stay here with Foley."

They continued on, into the arena. All the while, Dreaden kept thinking that something was wrong. It felt as if they were walking into a bear's trap, as if the whole world was going to come crashing down even as they both felt safer than ever. The three of them stepped through the curtain ahead and into the darkness of the arena. Ahead of them, they saw Black Death and Eric DeSalve in the ring, staring up at the rafters.

"That's DeSalve, what's he doing here?" Liam wondered.

The three of them walked down the aisle and towards the ring. They climbed over the guardrail, then up the steps and into the ring.

"What's going on?" Draeden asked.

"Two guys are fighting up there." Black Death answered.

The four wrestlers and Samantha exchanged glances. What would happen next was inevitable. Even bitter enemies would have done the same, as in the end... the greater good comes before petty differences and arguments, even in the business of wrestling.

They all four got out of the ring and ran towards the scaffolding and ladder that led up to the rafters. Climbing, one after another they scaled the ladder all the way to the heavenly reaches of Legacy Plaza. As they stepped onto the steel grated platform, silhouettes of a struggle to the death were visible in front of them. Samantha trailed behind the other four wrestlers as they ran in to the rescue.

Draeden was in the lead, and ahead of him he could see a man in a black rain jacket lying on top of The Experts franchise, Shadow. He held a knife in the air, and Shadow held the madman's arm, trying to stop the blade from coming any closer to Shadow's face.

Draeden recognized the shape of the man immediately, knowing it to be the same as the man that entered his house. Even the still scabbed wound on his face was there.

"Let him go!" Draeden shouted.

The man turned to look at them, and now everybody got a full view of the man's face. They all recognized it. Who wouldn't know the face of the legend, Bonez?

The wrestlers stood in shock, but Bonez was mobile. He took off, running at full speed down the narrow steel structure. Hesitating at first, the wrestlers gave chase, even Shadow who was beginning to catch his breath. Samantha followed close behind. Ahead, Bonez jumped from one scaffolding to another, then climbed a short flight of steps and through a door leading to the roof. Draeden and Yoshio followed after, while the rest went around to find another way to the staircase.

Yoshio reached the door first. "It's locked!" He yelled out.

Chapter 11
The Crimson Shadow rode down in the elevator, furious at how slow it was taking. He looked out the glass back of the elevator over to Legacy Plaza, noticing that there was a corridor leading from the tower to the arena. He also noticed a lurking figure coming out from a hatch in the roof of the arena, carrying what looked like a rifle. He got off at the same floor as the corridor and ran down the hallway. He went to the corridor and swung open the door. Running at full speed, he crossed the long passageway in just under a minute. At the end, he reached for the door to the arena only to find it locked.

"Oh God no."

He pulled hard on the door, but it wouldn't budge. He looked up and saw a hatch at the top of the corridor. He was desperate now, desperate to get back to his love. He had seen the Mania Enterprises van parked outside the arena, and knew that Mark hadn't come in a van, but in a taxi. That van could only belong to Bonez. That meant that he needed to get to Samantha, and fast before they stepped into a trap.

He jumped up, but the hatch was just barely out of reach. Looking around, he saw large potted plant halfway down the corridor. He ran towards it, and kicked it over spilling the plant onto the ground. He dumped out the rest of the dirt, then hoisted the pot onto his shoulder and carried it slowly down the aisle. Each step seemed to take an eternity as he finally made it back to the hatch by the entrance to the arena. He flipped the pot upside down, and climbed onto it. Reaching up, he opened the hatch to the roof and pulled himself up.

As he felt the unnatural warm air of the San Francisco East Bay, a sense of urgency filled his veins. He turned around towards the arena and saw the silhouette of a man. The black outline against the setting sun, like a raven in the eyes of a rattlesnake.

He began to walk closer to this man. His eyes were like fire, his fists like iron. His willpower was like a freight train only a few hundred yards from its destination.

He closed in on the man, now walking faster, now jogging, now running at full speed. The man turned and The Crimson Shadow saw the lock of gray/blonde hair. The pudgy face. It was Bonez!

And now the man could see him. With eyes wide in shock and disbelief, Bonez backed up along the roof.

"No, no, no... this can't be happening." Bonez yelled out, shaking his head in negation.

Still the beast of a man barreled down on him, spearing the killer to his back. Fists reined in. Each blow felt like agony and triumph as they connected with Bonez' face. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, an endless array of punches at the man that had nearly ruined Crimson's life. The man that had turned him from the innocent and passionate Alex McGregor into a monster. He had tortured him, cutting him over and over for months, all for being a witness to the man's evil. He had killed that girl in the alley. He had tried to kill Smitty. And who knows what evil he has done to Samantha Emerson.

"Now, you pay with your life you son of a bitch!" Crimson breathed these words like a lion into the bleeding and crying face of Bonez. Crimson picked the man up, holding him up in the air. Behind him, there was a clang and the sound of a door opening. The wrestlers from down below busted into the roof hatch and were now climbing up onto the roof. Black Death, Eric DeSalve, Shadow, Liam Yoshio and Draeden Darksky. Following closely behind was Samantha Emerson.

They looked on, seeing The Crimson Shadow holding the shirt of Bonez, lifting him into the air. Bonez' feet dangled over the edge of the arena. His death would meet him sixty feet below. The look in Crimson's eyes was pure rage, the look that this evil madman had brought out of the young boy. He had done this to him, had made him this way.

Bonez begged, pleaded, and still he fought. Nothing would sway the emotions of this red-haired man in black. Nothing... but the words of his love.

"Alex... please."

Crimson's face changed. He looked over and saw Samantha, the horror in her eyes... and the innocence on her face. He took a deep breath and threw Bonez, not off the arena, but onto his back on the arena roof.

As he did so, police cars began to fill the parking lot, headed straight for Foley Anderson's red pick-up truck. Liam Yoshio went to the roof's edge and flagged the police down, calling for help.

The Crimson Shadow took a deep breath and turned to Samantha. A faint smile appeared on her face as their eyes met. They came closer to each other, closer and closer. He wrapped his arms around her, kissing her head. She held him close, and he could feel the desperation in her fingertips. The trembling in her bones, and the frailty in her whole being. She tilted her head up and they kissed, gently and softly. He didn't know what horrors she had been through, but right now... right now everything was okay. All would be fine.

Bonez lay there, the big boot of Black Death on his chest. Blood was on his face, mixed with his own sweat and tears. He couldn't believe that it was ending. After his carefully laid plans, even the brand new torturing room he had prepared for more victims. He looked up, seeing Samantha and The Crimson Shadow in their embrace.

Ever since the day he met this man, or kid at the time, his life had been ruined. The Crimson Shadow was at fault for all of this. Gathering his rage, he twisted Black Death's leg, knocking the big man onto his back. Bonez quickly rose to his feet and charged at the two lovers. Samantha saw him, through barely open eyes as her head lay on Crimson's shoulder. She became startled, and this is the sign that Crimson felt and knew that something was wrong.

The Crimson Shadow pushed Samantha away, and turned just as the madman Bonez charged full speed. Crimson braced himself for the hit, but was taken aback anyways. He stumbled, tripping over his own feet.

"No!" Samantha screamed and reached out for her love. She grasped his shirt in her hand, and the shirt tore away. Bonez let out a loud grunt and continued to charge, so full of hate and anger he didn't even care what happened... as long as he took down the bane of his existence with him.

Crimson struggled against it, feeling everything as if it was in slow motion. People called him a shadow because that's how he moved, gracefully and with such speed it was as if one was fighting his own shadow when you fought him. Still, his grace and speed had failed him. He was at the mercy of this charging bull, caught... and now, falling.

At the last minute, and with everything that Crimson had in him, he hooked Bonez' head under his arm and lifted the man over his head. It looked as if they were both going down off the roof, via vertical suplex until Crimson let go of him in mid-move and Bonez went flying over the edge. Crimson was far from safe as he too began to slip over, before grabbing the ledge at the last minute. The other five wrestlers ran over to help, and pulled Crimson up onto the roof where he and Samantha met in a flurry of kisses once more.

They looked down as the body of Bonez lay face-up in the sun, a pool of blood forming around him and police standing by, trying to figure out exactly what to do.

Epilogue
Samantha lay in the arms of her hero, and her love, Alex McGregor. The story of his quest had been the talk of the cable news channels for a week. Meanwhile, things were beginning to slow down and life kept trying to return to normal.

If it wasn't for just a few minor details that didn't seem to settle themselves in her mind. She thought back, remember the first time that she and Alex had made love.

They surrounded each other in kisses and caresses. They rolled, back and forth on the bed not letting each other go. There was fierceness in each of their desire, yet timid innocence too. It was as if their desires were shrouded in an unbearable fear. They touched, and hugged, and felt. They moved back and forth, not like the gears of some machine, but like the guaranteed rising and setting of the sun. He came in and out of her like the crashing of the ocean's waves on a beach. Each moment was like a sweetness neither of them had ever felt. At the climax, both shook with the finality of it. Finally, laying in each other's arms, and gently kissing each other's lips.

Crimson lay on his stomach, looking into her eyes. Samantha lay, holding her head up with her hand, resting on her elbow. She ran a hand over the tattoo of the dragon on his back. "So, explain this tattoo."

He remained silent for a long while, still looking into her eyes. Finally, he spoke up. "I think that's a story for another day. This day has been so sweet. With you, here. I don't care to relive anymore of my bad memories at the moment."

"Fair enough," she said. "I'm very patient."

She smiled, and so did he. They kissed once more, and climbed into each other's arms again, as the light of the day began to fade.

Now, she thought of that moment... the tattoo on his back, and how intricate and detailed it had seemed. How old-worldly it was.

"Alex," she spoke up.

He had been faking sleep, waiting until she was completely out to sleep himself. He turned over, and looked into her eyes.

"Alex... what does your tattoo mean? The dragon on your back."

He stared at her for a moment, as if deliberating. "That's a story for another day, I think." He told her.

Her eyebrows lowered, and she looked at him harder. "Before I met you, I had never seen a tattoo like this. A dragon of that style and with the strange words around it. Yet... since I met you, I've seen it more often.

"Where?" He asked, though she had an idea that he knew already.

"For one thing, I saw a smaller version on the wrist of... Bonez." She spoke his name through pained lips. "I also saw a small emblem of this dragon on a pillar in Legacy Plaza. What does it mean?"

He sat up in bed, looking as if he was about to explain the concept of death to an immortal.

"Ireland. A small village. That's where the symbol comes from, it means 'an dragan bás duine a thabhairt domhain.' It's irish, and roughly... it means 'The dragon shall be the death of the world.' There's more to it than that, but it's very complicated. I didn't know that Bonez had the tattoo or of its emblem at Legacy Plaza, and actually... that concerns me. I only know of one other man that has this tattoo, and he goes by the name of Dragon... and it was lucky that I found him. If not, I think I wouldn't have found you."

She smiled, and they kissed tenderly. As they hold each other in their arms, we conclude our tale... for now.

Quote from: JackHondo on October 24, 2012, 07:31:28 AM
You're right, Jesus is nicer. But Alex is a close second.