"Breaking Bad" Creators Offered $75 Million for Three More Episodes

Started by Fnord, October 10, 2013, 10:52:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fnord

In a new interview with Variety, producer Jeffrey Katzenberg revealed that he offered $75 million to the creators of "Breaking Bad" for just three more episodes of the TV series. This took place before the last episodes were written.

"I had this crazy idea. I was nuts for the show. I had no idea where this season was going," said Katzenberg. "The last series cost about $3.5 million an episode. So they would make more profit from these three shows than they made from five years of the entire series. I said [to them], 'I'm going to create the greatest pay-per-view television event for scripted programming anybody's ever done.'"

The plan was to take each of the three one-hour-long episodes (180 minutes) and release six minutes online each day for thirty days. Fans would have to pay one dollar per six-minute segment.

We know that 10 million people watched the finale of "Breaking Bad." If each person paid one dollar and watched all thirty segments, that would earn Katzenberg $300 million. But in reality, only a small fraction of people would actually be willing to pay. Then Katzenberg would have to also pay the cast and do some costly marketing. Many believe that this would not have turned out profitable.

Source: Variety

Quote[Today at 12:56:15 PM] Duckman: Fnording=the act of not realising something very obvious 
Quote from: AlexK on July 25, 2010, 12:23:31 AMI love you, Fnord.

Cory

SUBSCRIBE TO MY GAMING CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE

Fnord

Quote[Today at 12:56:15 PM] Duckman: Fnording=the act of not realising something very obvious 
Quote from: AlexK on July 25, 2010, 12:23:31 AMI love you, Fnord.