News:

Check out our Site Partners!

80s Mania WrestlingDaShawns2cents on FacebookThe Efed PodcastESPN Sports SimsEWCThe Indy CornerMFX PodcastOld School WrestlingSLTD WrestlingWhat A Maneuver!Wrestleview.comWrestling Mayhem Show

Main Menu

‘Battlestar Galactica’ Creator Glen A. Larson Dies at 77

Started by Black Death, November 16, 2014, 04:08:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black Death

Legendary TV creator Glen A. Larson, the writer-producer behind "Battlestar Galactica," "Magnum, P.I." and "Knight Rider," died on Friday, the Los Angeles Times reports. He was 77.

His son James told the LAT that Larson died of complications from esophageal cancer at UCLA Medical Center.

Larson had a string of TV hits in the 1970s and 80s, and dozens of writing and producing credits to his name. He created his first show, "Alias Smith and Jones," in 1971, but left the ABC Western right after star Peter Duel committed suicide.

Larson also co-conceived "Quincy M.E." with Lou Shaw. The NBC forensic drama starring Jack Klugman had an impressive eight-season run from 1976-83.

He created "Battlestar Galactica" a few years later. Although the series only lasted a single season (ABC cut the cord after two dozen episodes partly because of its hefty production cost), it spawned a series of spinoffs. It was followed by a short-run sequel called "Galactica" then re-imagined as three-hour miniseries by Ronald D. Moore and David Eick in 2003. The miniseries led to a regular TV series that aired up until 2009, and has become a cult classic since.

Aside from "Battlestar," reboots of his other shows, including "Knight Rider," "Manimal," "Six Million Dollar Man" and "The Fall Guy," have been shopped around as films in recent years.

Larson moved on to CBS for his next massive undertaking, "Magnum, P.I." He created the show with Donald Bellisario, with whom he had already worked with on "Quincy M.E." and "Battlestar Galactica." The procedural starring Tom Selleck as a suave private investigator in Hawaii aired for eight seasons from 1980-88.

Larson also wrote and exec produced "Knight Rider" (1982-86), starring David Hasselhoff, and "McCloud" for NBC. The latter earned him two of his three Emmy noms. He was also responsible for ABC's "Fall Guy" (1981-86), "It Takes a Thief" and "The Six Million Dollar Man."

More recently, Larson, who was also a singer, reunited with his 50s pop group The Four Preps in 2004 for a PBS reunion show.

He's survived by his wife Jeannie, brother Kenneth, former wives Carol Gourley and Janet Curtis, and nine children: James, Kimberly, Christopher, Glen, Michelle, David, Caroline, Danielle and Nicole.

I know some of you younger guys here might not know who he was , but I was big fan of the shows that he help create and I am sadden to hear of his pasting. He brought a lot of joy into my life over the years.

RIP
"Asuka, gives you two thumbs up"

Krazy

Gravedigger

Never watched Battlestar (either one), but grew up on Magnum and Knight Rider.

RIP