News:

Check out our Site Partners!

80s Mania WrestlingDaShawns2cents on FacebookThe Efed PodcastESPN Sports SimsEWCThe Indy CornerMFX PodcastOld School WrestlingSLTD WrestlingWhat A Maneuver!Wrestleview.comWrestling Mayhem Show

Main Menu

Favourite Iron Maiden songs

Started by Drama Queen, November 04, 2009, 07:49:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drama Queen

Self explanatory topic, though feel free to explain your choices, there are many different factors for me in picking mine.

Aces High - I feel that the music and mood really capture the franzy and panic of the subject matter, which is what I love most about this band. The part bridging the verse into the chorus... "rolling...twising...diving...going in again" with the music in short frantic bursts and Dickinson sounding like he's out of breath and genuinelly scared is impressive story-telling in a song. Not to mention the Winston Churchill (and baring in mind I fucking hate Churchill) speech as an intro sends a tingle even now when I hear it.

Hallowed Be Thy Name -  The melancholic intro into the absolute desperate cry for freedom (whilst trying to re-assure himself that he's not scared) is once again, great story-telling. The music cutting completely silent for the vocals "When the priest comes to read me the last rites" fucking blows me away.

Flight of Icarus -  In fairness I loved this song before I even heard it. I marked out when I seen on the album sleeve that they did a song about the Greek Myth. Though lyrics did not commit themselves with outright specifics the song itself rocked with a determination possibly akin to someone about to defy science and fly.

Run to the Hills - Probably a favourite amongst most Maiden fans it again tells the story as much with the music as with the words, but it has one other thing that the songs above don't which is another crucial Iron Maiden trait... A simple sing-along chorus. I love listening to an Iron Maiden live CD even more than studio ones because of the interaction of the crowds and this is one of those songs the crownd can make themselves heard in.

Fear of the Dark - live in Rio - Makes me wonder how a musician must feel to have thousands of people singing along, not just all of the words but humming the tune quite clearly as well. Unbelievable.

Well... if there's any more Maiden fans out there let's hear your picks.

Oh... bonus question, what's your favourite Eddie pose?

I like the ones from the Seventh Son album, very graphiclly beautiful, but also all kept in theme with the concept of the album.

! JDM The Professional !

Quote from: Drama Queen on November 04, 2009, 07:49:02 PM
Self explanatory topic, though feel free to explain your choices, there are many different factors for me in picking mine.

Aces High - I feel that the music and mood really capture the franzy and panic of the subject matter, which is what I love most about this band. The part bridging the verse into the chorus... "rolling...twising...diving...going in again" with the music in short frantic bursts and Dickinson sounding like he's out of breath and genuinelly scared is impressive story-telling in a song. Not to mention the Winston Churchill (and baring in mind I fucking hate Churchill) speech as an intro sends a tingle even now when I hear it.

Hallowed Be Thy Name -  The melancholic intro into the absolute desperate cry for freedom (whilst trying to re-assure himself that he's not scared) is once again, great story-telling. The music cutting completely silent for the vocals "When the priest comes to read me the last rites" fucking blows me away.

Flight of Icarus -  In fairness I loved this song before I even heard it. I marked out when I seen on the album sleeve that they did a song about the Greek Myth. Though lyrics did not commit themselves with outright specifics the song itself rocked with a determination possibly akin to someone about to defy science and fly.

Run to the Hills - Probably a favourite amongst most Maiden fans it again tells the story as much with the music as with the words, but it has one other thing that the songs above don't which is another crucial Iron Maiden trait... A simple sing-along chorus. I love listening to an Iron Maiden live CD even more than studio ones because of the interaction of the crowds and this is one of those songs the crownd can make themselves heard in.

Fear of the Dark - live in Rio - Makes me wonder how a musician must feel to have thousands of people singing along, not just all of the words but humming the tune quite clearly as well. Unbelievable.

you covered all my favorites except for number of the beast. Classic.

How happy is the blameless vestal's lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot the eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! Each prayer accepted, and each wish resigned.

Quote from: Kise on February 29, 2012, 01:42:01 AM
Shake and bake, JDM! S-n-B!

!JDM'S Top Ten Movies of all Time!
1. Leon the Professional
2. American Beauty
3. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind
4. The Big Lebowskie
5. There will be blood
6. A Clockwork Orange
7. Once upon a time in the West
8. The Proposition
9. Reservoir Dogs
10. Taxi Driver

Excaligore

Add the Trooper.

Apart from that, this topic is way too focused. I think maybe it may be more apt to make a "favorite metal songs" or "favorite 80s songs". Might allow a broader range of responses.

Hondo

I like all those listed...but my two faves are:

2. Two Minutes To Midnight , which I used to use as theme music in feds past. And,

1. Wasted Years, I've always found those lyrics so incredibly powerful and emotional. Love it love it LOVE it!

"Just do the best you can with whatever gift God has given you, whatever intellect you have. Use it. Be good while you're doing it. Love your neighbor. Love the One that created you. Enjoy the cosmos. And rock on." - Phil Robertson of Duck Dynasty

The Binge

Blood Brothers - such an epic song on the whole, not often that a song so long can keep my attention like it does. Just really epic stuff - first say it in a comp of a wrestling show, fell in love with it.

Fear of the Dark Live - For same reasons as DQ.

-

The only Eddie pose I really know is the one with him as King, it's pretty cool I guess. Oh yeah and him from the Tony Hawk Pro Skater 4, that's pretty wicked.

Jonny Worldbeater

I'd be all over this one but TBH, I can't really narrow it down. There's just so many great Maiden songs to choose from.

Here's a few of my favs:

Fear of the Dark (Rock in Rio) - Obviously. Hearing this song on a Cruiserweight Tribute MV is what got me into Maiden in the first place.

Blood Brothers - A great uniting anthem.

Run To The Hills & The Clansman - I'm including these as a set as they're both great songs (one obviously being more well-known than the other) dealing with the struggle of a proud race to preserve their freedom, both coincidentally against the English.  ;) Plus, they both have that great galloping bass-line.

2 Minutes to Midnight - Obviously another classic with, as many great Maiden songs, a strong anti-war message, particularly powerful in some of the 'dead baby' imagery.

The Trooper - Another great war song. I really like the way it's a sort of narrative too. You're listening to the story unfold from the perspective of the literal Trooper the song is about.

Rainmaker - This one has this great sort of redemptive feel to it imo. Sort of Biblical quality, maybe. I get a feel of like Moses or Spartacus or Laurence of Arabia, just this whole vibe of a hero wandering in the desert in exile, trying to find his calling or something.

Sign of the Cross - A medieval epic based on, like many Maiden songs, English literature. 'The Name of the Rose' in this case. Simply, as many great Maiden songs do, tells a great story and is even better live.

Rime of the Ancient Mariner - THE Iron Maiden epic. Almost 14 minutes long, and it never really drags imo. That's a feat no matter who you are. Brilliant story, brilliant lyrics, brilliant instrumentation and a brilliant live spectacle. What more can you ask for?

Revelations - One of Maiden's best riffs imo. The intro quote from GK Chesterton is awesome. The Egyptian imagery has become a staple of the band and a precursor to the famous Powerslave album. And, live, this is a fantastic sing-a-long song. This is also an especially cool song for me given the fact that the live version of it from Maiden's new 'Flight 666' live album came from a show I was actually at.

And since I'm running a bit long, I'll just quickly mention:

Heaven Can Wait
Afraid to Shoot Strangers
Phantom of the Opera
Transylvania
These Colours Don't Run
22 Acacia Avenue
Moonchild
The Evil That Men Do
Wasted Years
Powerslave
Hallowed Be Thy Name
The cover of Doctor Doctor by UFO
Iron Maiden
And of course, The Number of the Beast.

Zombie Gunn

I thought this said favorite iron man songs at first

Alex Smiley

Iron Maiden was an Iron Maiden song? Reminds me of my buddies from The Messenger, "They Say My Name Is..."

o_O'

Quote from: JackHondo on October 24, 2012, 07:31:28 AM
You're right, Jesus is nicer. But Alex is a close second.

Jonny Worldbeater

Quote from: Legion on November 15, 2009, 10:04:28 PM
Iron Maiden was an Iron Maiden song?

Hell yeah dude. Actually, it's a trifecta.

They had a song called 'Iron Maiden' on the album, 'Iron Maiden' by the band Iron Maiden.

As a matter of fact, it's most well-known songs and they play it on pretty much every live show.